Sound Drivers

dougs

Is alsa neccessary to be installed for any program to work. I have managed to install half-life and ive got tfc and counterstrike all working under linux perfectly except sound. I get a really crackly output. I read that it was a conflict between oss and alsa and could be resovled by uninstalling alsa. If its safe to do this how would i uninstall it or do you think that its maybe a different problem.

Well ive managed to get sound working in the games eventually by editing the wine config file and changing

[wineoss]

"UseMMap" = "N"

"FullDuplex" = "Y"

dont know what the useMMap does but hey it works. Works just as good as in windows. :D

Hey Dougs! Just wondering if you've tried any other games using wine. This is something I have yet to try in linux.

All this time I have been using it, my thinking has been there's so many get programs and games for linux, why bother emulating windows stuff in it. But now that my hubby and kids have really gotten into linux, the only time they're in windows is to play a few favorite games.

Thought I might give it a try and see what I can get to run.

I havn't tried any other games yet except quake 3 but that works without wine. I think there are quite a few games which play in wine. The quality of the game is just as good in windows. Now that i have that in theres not really much left for me to use in windows except Blitz3d which won't work in linux. Theres quite a lot of information about wine at these sites www.frankscorner.org http://lhl.linuxgames.com/ http://www.transgaming.com/

Im not sure what you mean by editing your mount point, do you mean the wine cfg. I followed the instructions on the lhl site and installed wine X from cvs. Then all i had to do was edit my wine config file(changed the cd-rom,system paths and sound config) and i just copied my half-life folder straight from my windows partition. When trying to play the games its best to use the following command

wine /home/mark/Desktop/Half-Life/hl.exe -- hl.exe -console

making sure you include the -console bit.

Ive also got the all seeing eye workign under wine as well.

I copied the config.cfg file from /wine/documentation/samples and edited it to look like the following. I made my mount point for cd-rom /mnt/cd-rom.

WINE REGISTRY Version 2;; All keys relative to \\Machine\\Software\\Wine\\Wine\\Config
;; If you think it is nescessary to show others your complete config for a ;; bug report, filter out empty lines and comments with;; grep -v "^;" ~/.wine/config | grep '.' ;;;; MS-DOS drives configuration;;;; Each section has the following format:;; [Drive X];; "Path"="xxx"       (Unix path for drive root);; "Type"="xxx"       (supported types are 'floppy', 'hd', 'cdrom' and 'network');; "Label"="xxx"      (drive label, at most 11 characters);; "Serial"="xxx"     (serial number, 8 characters hexadecimal number);; "Filesystem"="xxx" (supported types are 'msdos'/'dos'/'fat', 'win95'/'vfat', 'unix');;   This is the FS Wine is supposed to emulate on a certain;;   directory structure.;;   Recommended:;;   - "win95" for ext2fs, VFAT and FAT32;;   - "msdos" for FAT16 (ugly, upgrading to VFAT driver strongly recommended);;   DON'T use "unix" unless you intend to port programs using Winelib !;; "Device"="/dev/xx" (only if you want to allow raw device access);;
[Drive C]
"Path" = "${HOME}/wine"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "Dos Drive"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

[Drive D]
"Path" = "${HOME}"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "My Home"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

[Drive E]
"Path" = "/mnt/cdrom"
"Type" = "cdrom"
"Label" = "cdrom"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

[Drive G]
"Path" = "/"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "root"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

[wine]
"Windows" = "c:\\windows"
"System" = "/home/mark/.wine/c_drive/System 32"
"Temp" = "e:\\"
"Path" = "c:\\windows\\;c:\\windows\\system32\\"
"GraphicsDriver" = "x11drv" ; Wine doesn't pass directory symlinks to Windows programs by default.; Enabling this may crash some programs that do recursive lookups of a whole; subdir tree in case of a symlink pointing back to itself.;"ShowDirSymlinks" = "1"
"ShellLinker" = "/usr/lib/transgaming/winex/bin/wineshelllink"

# <wineconf>

[Version]; Windows version to imitate (win95,win98,winme,nt351,nt40,win2k,winxp,win20,win30,win31)" },
"Windows" = "win98"; DOS version to imitate
"DOS" = "6.22"

[DllDefaults]
"DefaultLoadOrder" = "native, builtin, so"

[DllOverrides]
"commdlg"      = "builtin, native"
"comdlg32"     = "builtin, native"
"ver"          = "builtin, native"
"version"      = "builtin, native"
"shell"        = "builtin, native"
"shell32"      = "builtin, native"
"shfolder"     = "builtin, native"
"shlwapi"      = "builtin, native"
"shdocvw"      = "builtin, native"
"lzexpand"     = "builtin, native"
"lz32"         = "builtin, native"
"comctl32"     = "builtin, native"
"commctrl"     = "builtin, native"
"advapi32"     = "builtin, native"
"crtdll"       = "builtin, native"
"mpr"          = "builtin, native"
"winspool.drv" = "builtin, native"
"d3d8"         = "builtin, native"
"d3drm"        = "builtin, native"
"ddraw"        = "builtin, native"
"dinput"       = "builtin, native"
"dinput8"      = "builtin, native"
"dmusic"       = "builtin, native"
"dsound"       = "builtin, native"
"opengl32"     = "builtin, native"
"msvcrt"       = "native, builtin"
"rpcrt4"       = "native, builtin"
"msvideo"      = "builtin, native"
"msvfw32"      = "builtin, native"
"mcicda.drv"   = "builtin, native"
"mciseq.drv"   = "builtin, native"
"mciwave.drv"  = "builtin, native"
"mciavi.drv"   = "native, builtin"
"mcianim.drv"  = "native, builtin"
"msacm.drv"    = "builtin, native"
"msacm"        = "builtin, native"
"msacm32"      = "builtin, native"
"midimap.drv"  = "builtin, native"  

[x11drv]; Number of colors to allocate from the system palette
"AllocSystemColors" = "65535"; Number of colors to copy from the default palette
"CopyDefaultColors" = "0"; Use a private color map
"PrivateColorMap" = "N"; Favor correctness over speed in some graphics operations
"PerfectGraphics" = "N"; Color depth to use on multi-depth screens;;"ScreenDepth" = "16"; Name of X11 display to use;;"Display" = ":0.0"; Allow the window manager to manage created windows
"Managed" = "Y"; Use a desktop window of 640x480 for Wine;"Desktop" = "800x600"; Use XFree86 DGA extension if present; (make sure /dev/mem is accessible by you !)
"UseDGA" = "N"; Use XShm extension if present
"UseXShm" = "Y"; Enable DirectX mouse grab
"DXGrab" = "Y"; Use XVidMode extension if present
"UseXVidMode" = "Y"; Create the desktop window with a double-buffered visual; (useful to play OpenGL games)
"DesktopDoubleBuffered" = "Y"; Code page used for captions in managed mode; 0 means default ANSI code page (CP_ACP == 0)
"TextCP" = "0"; Use this if you have more than one port for video on your setup ; (Wine uses for now the first 'input image' it finds).;; "XVideoPort" = "43"; Use this to make your X server execute all commands; sequentially rather than buffering commands. Will make; everything really SLOW but can be nice for debugging.;; "Synchronous" = "Y"

[fonts];Read documentation/fonts before adding aliases
"Resolution" = "96"
"Default" = "-adobe-times-"

[FontPatterns]
"Pattern0" = "-adobe-times*"
"Pattern1" = "-adobe-helvetica*"
"Pattern2" = "-adobe-courier*"
"Pattern3" = "-misc-fixed*"

[serialports]
"Com1" = "/dev/ttyS0"
"Com2" = "/dev/ttyS1"
"Com3" = "/dev/ttyS2"
"Com4" = "/dev/modem"

[parallelports]
"Lpt1" = "/dev/lp0"

[spooler]
"LPT1:" = "|lpr"
"LPT2:" = "|gs -sDEVICE=bj200 -sOutputFile=/tmp/fred -q -"
"LPT3:" = "/dev/lp3"

[ports];"read" = "0x779,0x379,0x280-0x2a0"; "write" = "0x779,0x379,0x280-0x2a0"

[spy]
"Exclude" = "WM_SIZE;WM_TIMER;"

[registry];These are all booleans.  Y/y/T/t/1 are true, N/n/F/f/0 are false.;Defaults are read all, write to Home; Global registries (stored in /etc)
"LoadGlobalRegistryFiles" = "n"; Home registries (stored in ~user/.wine/)
"LoadHomeRegistryFiles" = "Y"; Load Windows registries from the Windows directory
"LoadWindowsRegistryFiles" = "n"; TRY to write all changes to home registries
"WritetoHomeRegistryFiles" = "Y"; Registry periodic save timeout in seconds; "PeriodicSave" = "600"; Save only modified keys
"SaveOnlyUpdatedKeys" = "Y"

[Tweak.Layout];; supported styles are 'Win31'(default), 'Win95', 'Win98'
"WineLook" = "Win98"

[Console]
"Drivers" = "xterm";"Drivers" = "tty"
"XtermProg" = "konsole";"InitialRows" = "25";"InitialColumns" = "80";"TerminalType" = "nxterm"

[Clipboard]
"ClearAllSelections" = "0"
"PersistentSelection" = "1"
; List of all directories directly contain .AFM files
[afmdirs];"1" = "/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts";"2" = "/usr/share/a2ps/afm";"3" = "/usr/share/enscript";"4" = "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"

[WinMM]
"Drivers" = "wineoss.drv"
"WaveMapper" = "msacm.drv"
"MidiMapper" = "midimap.drv"

[wineoss]
"UseMMap" = "N"
"FullDuplex" = "Y"
;; sample AppDefaults entries;[AppDefaults\\iexplore.exe\\DllOverrides];"shlwapi" = "native";"rpcrt4" = "native";"ole32" = "native";"shdocvw" = "native";"wininet" = "native";"shfolder" = "native";"shell32" = "native";"shell" = "native";"comctl32" = "native";;[AppDefaults\\setup.exe\\x11drv];"Desktop" = "800x600"

# </wineconf>