Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

China Is Ready Are We?

this has never been true

Definition of a superpower: "a state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world"

With about 1.3 Billion people and a military personnel of almost 3,000,000 (almost twice as much as the next closest in Russia). To not consider them a superpower would be to underestimate them. They are growing many times faster then most developed nations and whether you like it or not within a few short decades they will take the reigns from the US as being the worlds most powerful country. Sure right now they are not as powerful as the US but they are still a superpower.

Definition of a superpower: "a state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world"

With about 1.3 Billion people and a military personnel of almost 3,000,000 (almost twice as much as the next closest in Russia).  To not consider them a superpower would be to underestimate them.  They are growing many times faster then most developed nations and whether you like it or not within a few short decades they will take the reigns from the US as being the worlds most powerful country.  Sure right now they are not as powerful as the US but they are still a superpower.

But its still China. Numbers mean nothing. :blink: Edited by SIK_L_CELL

But its still China. Numbers mean nothing. :blink:

I'll bet there would be some folks who were in Korea in the 50s who would dispute that.

:blink:

The USA fears no other country, period. I am proud of her and will never turn my back on her. I have traveled extensively and have yet to visit another country as civilised and powerful as the USA. (Canada is a close second, except for the powerful part) LOL :blink:

I'll bet there would be some folks who were in Korea in the 50s who would dispute that.

That was the first of what has become a trend. That conflict could have been dealt with swiftly if not for the opposition here in the states. :blink:

I still don't think we need all out war with China to make our point..

I agree Korea was kinda like Vietnam tho,,never let the politicians fight for ya. :( vj

I still don't think we need all out war with China to make our point..

I agree Korea was kinda like Vietnam tho,,never let the politicians fight for ya. :(  vj

Of course all out war would be a terrible thing. I wouldnt think it would come to that, at least I hope not. But unstable areas need to be dealt with as need be. And we all know that the US is the worlds "Hall Monitor" Considered overbearing, but the first one called when your getting stuffed in a locker. :blink: Edited by SIK_L_CELL

China's ascendency is a perilous example of capitalism gone wrong. Short-term protection of North American stock-holder interests have contributed to a weakening of the domestic economy and the fortification of a foreign ecnomy, with the attendant military and geo-political ramifications that implies.

I

Edited by Iain

The USA fears no other country, period. I am proud of her and will never turn my back on her. I have traveled extensively and have yet to visit another country as civilised and powerful as the USA. (Canada is a close second, except for the powerful part) LOL :blink:

The overall vibe of this conversation seems to suggest otherwise.

the numbers seriously dont mean anything at all when it comes to our technology....i hope they are not this stupid to start this..it will be a BIG and bad war..and many other superpowers could get involved...but i dont see the US losing..but it will hurt us bad..and even on the off chance they did win all the trade between us and them would be cut off..they MAY survive that but all that extra income would cease and thier ecomony would get hit HARD

this on thier part is perfect timing..not only are we preoccupied atm..but the other nations dont exactly see us as "good ole america" so other nations coming to help is doubtfull =/

as far as thier supplies coming to us..i could live fine w/o china made products..everything we couldnt get from them we could get elsewhere...or made ourself..1 thing good about america is we have just about every single resource in the whole world in our nation

all in all..doesnt look good at all =(

The US feared Russia during the Cold War, even if the people don't fear Russia still the government realizes a great deal of corruption in the Russian government and they still have a great deal of very powerful weapons. Russia still scares the hell out of the US government, why do you think you see Bush and Putin always on those fence mending tours, neither of them trust eachother at all.

So China and the US have a conflict, who do you think the Russians will side with? They helped create China and provided them with a great deal of military power during the Cold war. So then you have #1 and #2 when it comes to sheer military size against you.

In an attrition war these countries can afford to send troops after troops while the US does not have anywhere near the manpower to face such a threat. Much of China's weaponry is old but still very much functional and just as devistating as some of the US weaponry.

You can sit there and tell me that the US is fearless but I know that is not the case. There was not one person on 9/11 that wasn't afraid, as during the cold war the whole country was gripped by fear.

Most every nation in the world hates us, but still ask for handouts. But we will still bail them out if needed. Its like Worldwide Welfare. :blink:

Maybe the US should help its own people first and worry less about everyone else. For as much good as the US does they also do alot of harm in foreign countries; harm to their image and financial harm to the country. I am a fan of helping people out but you need to pick and choose your battles.

You can sit there and tell me that the US is fearless but I know that is not the case.  There was not one person on 9/11 that wasn't afraid, as during the cold war the whole country was gripped by fear.

Ah yes 9/11. How would you know? I was in Manhattan when it happened, my family lives there, and I lost family and friends alike. Yes the whole country was scared, but we stood strong. Its hard to fight a "Politically Correct" battle against savages especially when the the mainstrem media only promotes the "War Crimes" WE commit daily against a poor downtrodden group of innocents. And dont forget the "Underpants Incident" at the military prison. You are lucky you live in a country deemed "Harmless" by the rest of the world. :blink: Edited by SIK_L_CELL

i didnt say threaten, lay out a plan for the area. Create a system of trip wires ;) Similar to what our military force in Germany was to Russia. Make the outcome of any military conflict and what it means very clear to the international community and then drop the discussion. If we cant keep Taiwan in check they have no business asking for our help in the future. As I stated before, if Taiwan instigates a conflict with China I can gurantee you that they will in fact be on their own.

Ummm OK, we should only force our help on those who haven't asked for it, we have no business helping the countries that we actually have treaties with. :huh:

There is a plan for the area one2, there is a plan for every reqion in the world. Whats written down on paper and what actually happens is usually where the problems come about, especially when fighting in Asia. If there is one thing we have proven in the last 60 years is we simply don't know how to win a war against people in Asia short of nuking them. Finally if declaring independence is "instigation" that we find unacceptable then we are indeed the worlds largest hypocrites.

Going around the world and starting or threatening war on nations who have not asked for help and then ignoring those that do is just about as baskasswards as it gets.

we are deemed harmless because that is the image we created, the US created the image of being a waring country. Canada has shown teeth when needed but that is it, we do not fight in every war nor do we start wars or go looking for them. Canada has done a good job in my mind at picking and choosing the conflicts they get involved in, not to tarnish our image.

Most every nation in the world hates us, but still ask for handouts.

Grow up.

Nobody's asking for handouts. Everybody's asking for an even playing field.

The US was blessed with a temperate climate and miles upon miles of easily accesible arable land, combined with the very fortunate turn of a revolution that had been percolating for ages.

Time for the US to step up and take responsibility for its sucess.

I

we are deemed harmless because that is the image we created, the US created the image of being a waring country. Canada has shown teeth when needed but that is it, we do not fight in every war nor do we start wars or go looking for them. Canada has done a good job in my mind at picking and choosing the conflicts they get involved in, not to tarnish our image.

Yes Canada is very good at picking and choosing what it believes in. :blink:

You are kidding me, right?

Justify American policy concerning the importation of Canadian softwood lumber and I'll consider taking you seriously.

I

Well...on a serious note China has been importing steel from lots of countries (including the US) in mass quantities :blink:

The last time that happened it was Germany before WWII .....

One Cool,

China has been preparing for this since the year 2000. There are many documents and reports about their military and industrial build ups specifically witha war against the United States in mind.

What bothers me the most about all of this is of course the fact that if this happens then we will also have problems in North Korea, as they will certainly take advantage of the situation and make another attempt to unify the North and South again.

We can not even handle that situation. The likes of China is not only beyond capabilities but combine the two of them, along with the problems we have in the Mid East and we are in for some serious trouble.

The communitication and negotiation skills of our sitting president are so lacking, that all of this is a huge concern.

China will not blink, they are not some desert country with limited recsources, they are huge, have unlimited recsources, have allies that will stand by their side against us, and finally if history has proven anything it is that they fight, they fight well, and they fight to win.

Yes Canada is very good at picking and choosing what it believes in. :blink:

So is the US. They can recognize China's horrible human rights, yet still China is one of their greatest trading partners.

Bush believes that they are in Iraq to find Weapons of Mass destruction, oops that's not going well so let's say were there to take out Hussein. WTH, does he believe? Does he even know?

Justify American policy concerning the importation of Canadian softwood lumber and I'll consider taking you seriously.

I

What in the world does that have to do with the US shelling out trillions of dollars a year in foriegn aid? :blink: