Change Mode

Opera, Mozilla Or Firefox

I have always used IE for browsing, it's the only browser I know and so far it worked OK for me.

But I consider to start using another browser because of the security issues. As soon one problem is fixed, a new one is revealed. As far as I know, nobody or very few in the computer security business uses IE. Also national offices for security in several countries recommend to not use IE. No reason for panic, but it doesn't hurt to think about it.

I hope someone here have first-hand experience with Opera, Firefox or Mozilla. Or another one.

I am interested in advantages and dis-advantages. What's good or less good? Known problems or conflicts of any kind?

Can I have several browsers installed on a XP Pro pc?

Thanks

Mozilla/Firefox :tup:

Check out this thread... http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=83401

Interesting read, but it didn't answer many questions.

I'm not only interested in which browser people prefer, but also why. And I'm interested in Mozilla and Opera too. :)

IE has an ActiveX issue, the 3 other browser have not? If I disable/get rid of ActiveX, will I ever miss it?

I use Opera, it's alot faster than Firefox, even on my Athlon64. To equal Opera's performance on startup/page rendering, I had to get an SSE2 optimized version of Firefox, and it was still a little slower.

If you're on dialup, use Opera, if you're on broadband, use Firefox or Opera. They're both fast, but Opera has an ad in the top right, and you have to pay $39 to get rid of it.

I agree with Brandon. I use Firefox for my windows XP browser but I notice it is slower than IE. Still I feel safer. I have always liked Opera, always used the free version and am using 7.54 now, it has some very useful features that make things easier. The only drawback is the way the opera window is on my monitor, I use it on a larger screen.(Things are just a little smaller to make room for all that stuff.)

Edited by dimwit

Opera has an ad in the top right, and you have to pay $39 to get rid of it.

That ad, how is it behaving? Large, small, silent or annoying?

39 dollars isn't so bad, probably worth it.

Some of these browsers was cut off from Microsoft websites? Perhaps I have to keep IE for using Win Update, Bill isn't the most sporty competitor.

That ad, how is it behaving? Large, small, silent or annoying?

39 dollars isn't so bad, probably worth it.

Some of these browsers was cut off from Microsoft websites? Perhaps I have to keep IE for using Win Update, Bill isn't the most sporty competitor.

You can use Auto updates, which doesn't require IE.

Also, the ad isn't that bad. The newest versions made the ad alot smaller, and since they're text ads, you don't have to worry about big ugly evil images.

Stupid me, until now I thought Mozilla and Firefox was two different browsers. I just found out Firefox is Mozilla :rolleyes:

And I realised 39 $ is very cheap, less than most new games.

Can I use more than one browser at a time?

Stupid me, until now I thought Mozilla and Firefox was two different browsers. I just found out Firefox is Mozilla :rolleyes:

And I realised 39 $ is very cheap, less than most new games.

Can I use more than one browser at a time?

If you mean Mozilla/Firefox and Opera at the same time, yes, you can.

If you mean Mozilla/Firefox and Opera at the same time, yes, you can.

I was thinking about IE + the other.

Is the free version of FF partly financed by ads?

I'm only using XP now, but will maybe run Linux besides it later.

theres no ads in firefox, its also tweakable if you have broadband which allows it to run a bit faster. I dont know how anyone could think its slower than IE becuase its not on any of the 10 computers I use it on.

FireFox is free without adds, why dont you just give it a try. Its easy to install and uninstall.

I use FireFox

Why?

Security

Tweaks, you can add functions to the browser. I have the weather always in the corner and if I highlight a word or phrase and right click I can either translate it into any language or use an online dictionary on it.

I love using the middle button on my mouse to click on a link and have a new tab open...that alone is worth getting it.

Also its FREE as in you pay zip, nada. 39 bucks for a browser is a lot more than 0 bucks.

Opera does seem to have a whole lot of bells and whistle though....email and chat stuff.

Stuff I never use.

I gave Opera a whirl back in the olden days. Gave it up, don't remember why.

I use FF with a side order of IE. IE is easier to run, being integrated with windows; also maked it more vunerable to security issues. It is a patchwork of updates and patches, like Frankenstein. But. like Frankie, it does keep shuffling along. A lot of people are down on IE, I think, for a very human reason: everyone hates a winner when he wins TOO much. There's a price for popularity.

FF is pretty good. It's about as fast as IE (dial-up, here), and the tabbing is nice.

[Whoopsie! Just got a ZA hotbox: some scummo a-knocking at port 80, no prob....Now, what was I saying about FF's security?)

FF is good if you like to tweak. Open source means a lot of third party extensions and plug-is, each with it's own personality. Some are good, some are dumb.

Down-loading is about the same for speed, even with FDM's suped-dooper split-file feature.

I've tried just about all the popular ones (as well as some unpopular ones), and I used to always end up going back to IE (w/ tons of security and spyware software to keep it in check), but ever since I tried Firefox I haven't looked back. I'm not a windows user anymore, so security is an afterthought nowadays, but I still found that Firefox was the best browser I had available to me.

Edited by neo x1

You certainly can. :)

In fact Firefox even has a little extension you can download which puts an 'open this page in IE' option on your right click menu - nice!

I use Firefox exclusively at home. At work some of our intranet sites make use of ActiveX so it's IE there.

I think it is really a matter of opinion as to which is better. Try them out and take your pick.

My reasons for using Firefox are security, customisation, tabbed browsing, privacy, download management. All so much better than IE (and in some cases, non-existent in IE!)

I did try Opera, but I didn't really like it. Can't put my finger on exactly what it was - appearance mainly, rather than functionality.

I did try Opera, but I didn't really like it.  Can't put my finger on exactly what it was - appearance mainly, rather than functionality.

Opera seemed quite good, it was quite smooth and it 'felt' good. But it was all a bit busy-looking. I had it for about 15 minutes and decided that Firefox was my alternative to I.E.