Online Gaming

Guest Razio

Greetings,

I'm sure you get lots of posts like this, or maybe you disregard them since they're not 'professional' enough to concern yourself with. But I'd really appreciate it if someone would at least attempt to help me out.

I love to play games online, mainly first person shooters. I'm currently using a cable modem provided by Cox Communications in the panhandle of Florida. I notice that I always lag and have connectivity problems, as where other users who also use Cable, and sometimes DSL, have very little to no lag while playing. Whats going on? Why is it everyone else will have a nice fast connection but I'm always lagged down? I suppose the fact that a.) I live in dorms doesn't help, and b.) since it is cable, I am sharing bandwidth with hundreds of other people at the same time. Since I am sharing all this bandwidth, should I consider getting DSL, so that I can have my own personal ammount of constant bandwidth and speed?

If that isn't practical, can someone tell me where to acquire net card optimizers or any other tweaks to try to improve performance?

Here are my sys specs before you ask:

1.7 GHz P4

512 DDR Ram

C-Media onboard soundcard

GEForce 4 MX420 64 MB Vid Card

Thats about all I can think of that would limit my performance. Again, I'd appreciate any and all cooperation I get.

Thanks.

i have comcast cable it is just fine don't go to dsl it is not as fast as cable.

It depends on where you are and what kind of equipment the ISP uses. Here DSL is faster and far more reliable than Cox Cable. So because of that, and the fact that most Cable users around here are complaining all the time I would say that there is a good chance that Cox Cable is not the best Cable ISP.

man, I used to have 0 lag in all my online games. Now, all of a sudden all my games report the same pings I used to get, except I get lag spikes like crazy, especially when I get shot @, or sometimes, just walking by myself through a tunnel. you know, the walk out a door, freeze for 2 seconds, and reappear 4 feet behind the door you just walked out of symptom. *sigh*. I think I'm going to have to write a complaint. all my friends who like me, have not ahd the problem in the past year, are having this intolerable lag now. and cox-internet here is so slow...their fastest service is 1Megabit. :mrsgreen:

Ok, I'll try that cable tweaking thing.

But axe slinger, where do you live? Can you say that in Florida, Sprint DSL is faster than Cox Cable?

what causes lag spikes btw?

if they transferred me to another node thats not as congested, would I get lag-free online gaming like i did b4?

I amr ated @ 1mb but I usually score a 1.2Megabit at online speed tests. sometimes 1.4, but never below 1megabit.

Guest schusterjo
:mrsgreen: okay first of all cable is not alway the fastest.......... Cable has a higher alowed bandwith, true. But it can have an over load of users on the node and then the bandwith will be cut..... Dsl is not really effected in this manner, it is effected almost like the same things dialup is, Noise on the line and such. the main thing that effects dsl is distance to the networking switch( the little building in your area wheree all the phone lines tie into) cable has the same problem with the distance to the node but not as bad as dsl. The ONLY way to tell witch one is faster is to try them both at the location you will be using. most offer a free trial if asked. :)

Guest Legolas

I have cable as well and All I got was lag packet loss and dial-up conections.....after calling and calling I got a new modem no lag no packet loss and I get my full 1.5megs that they say they offer. I have done this in the past with dsl and it improved a bit. Your best bet Razio is to complain until they do something.

It never hurts to ask