Change Mode

Can't Detect Internet Connection

Guest Condotiere

Guest Condotiere

I running Win ME in my other computer and my problem started when I run Registry Checker from the System Configuration Utility, found some errors in the registry and restored an older back-up of the registry. After the restoration, I noticed that my browsers (IE 6 and Netscape) can't connect to websites and my E mail clients (Outlook 2000 and Outlook express) can't connect to or find my mail server even though I'm already connected to the internet through Dial-up networking. Other software such as MIRC and MSN Messenger can neither detect an internet connection. I guessed the problem has something to do with my registry But I can't undo the alterations done to the registry becase there seem to no back-up made before Registry Checker made the changes.

Any assistance you can give is highly appreciated!

Try reinstalling Communications:

Go to My Computer > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Windows Setup

Uncheck Communications...click OK ... click yes to restart

Go back to Add/Remove Programs > Windows Setup > Put a check next to Communications

Click OK on the pop up message if you get one

Double click on Communications and uncheck everything except Dial Up Networking, Hyperterminal, Phone Dialer and Universal Plug and Play ... Click OK and Click OK again. Then click YES to restart.

See if that helps :)

Edited by aeroman10

Guest Splatflys

" my problem started when I run Registry Checker from the System Configuration Utility, found some errors in the registry and restored an older back-up of the registry."

G'day "Condotiere".

I have had that problem my self twice so I never used that utility again.

My conclusion to this" when you roll back Your Registry doesn't have recent entrys so some programs won't run because Registry doesn't know their there.So I reinstalled programs that arn't responding.

BIG Tip: I have always had problems with Registry Checker's.I have found 1 that won't give you any problems But only use the Registry cleaner I won't use Unnesersery file removel or Dupucaded files.

Go To http://www.toniarts.com/index.htm Toni Arts Website and get "Easy Cleaner" & it's Free.

Happy cleaning.

Splatflys. :woot:

Guest Condotiere

I tried to delete all dial-up connections, remove dial-up adapter and reinstaling it. Nothing happened, I still can't detect a network connection even though im already connected into my dial-up server. When I tried to download my mail through Outlook, the same thing happened. Here is the specific error message from outlook, Error nimber:0x800ccc0d.

I suspect the registery is the culprit. But I don't know how to fix registry entries for internet connections. :(

Guest Splatflys

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties

Networking (tab)

High light Internet Protocol

Click Properties

Click Advanced

In the General Tab

Look at the PPP link

Use IP header compression

"If Check Box is checked & the remote access server dosn't

support VJ compression inbound traffic continues normally but

outbound traffic doesn't succeed.Most applications require

communications in both directions.

The session usually appears stopped." :blink:

Condotiere

I made an app to repair these types of connection issues which have worked very well at the Lavasoft forums. you can try it if you like

http://members.shaw.ca/installations/

If you cannot download the one.exe file, I split them into 2 pieces for floppy use.

read more about how they work at

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?a...=5114&hl=winfix

Guest WordCountess

I've been battling this same problem since Best Buy kindly "optimized" my laptop after installing more RAM.

Option^Explicit: After I ran your fix, I got this error message:

Could not modify the registry

Could not delete key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/VxD/DhcpOptions

:mrsgreen: Any more suggestions?

Splatflys: Sorry I have to ask, but where do I find

"Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties

Networking (tab)

High light Internet Protocol

Click Properties

Click Advanced

In the General Tab

Look at the PPP link" :erm:

I'm on an HP Pavilion running Windows ME

Thanks!

Carolyn

WordCountess

Thats very odd, especially just deleting the key.

The only time I ever seen this happen due to virus , usually (yaha) not allowing registry access.

or perhaps you are running some form of protection software to prevent registry change?

can you boot to safe mode and run same fix from there.

Or manually like this

Repairing Winsock in Win9x - Me do this

open Network settings

1.) Remove all protocols or everything EXCEPT leave the NIC Adapter

2.) Click Apply & Close the Properties box, but on reboot notice, hit Cancel...do not reboot!

3.) Open Regedit and delete these keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\Dhcp

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\Dhcpoptions

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\MSTCP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\Winsock2

also ..scroll down delete

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

close regedit

4.) Open Network Properties again, and Click ADD - PROTOCOL - MicroSoft/TCPIP(should Add Client for MS Networks Automatically)

have your windows CD ready or the CAB files,

Reboot and Should be good.

NOTE: Simply removing the Protocols in Network settings will not work because those registry entries stay, even if you have no network at all. Once deleted, putting the TCP/IP protocol back in , basically rebuilds the TCP from scratch, it is the same as when Windows was first installed clean.

also any speed patches to TcpRWin values & MTU will be reset back to Windows defaults.

Edited by Option^Explicit

Guest Condotiere

Condotiere

I made an app to repair these types of connection issues which have worked very well at the Lavasoft forums. you can try it if you like

http://members.shaw.ca/installations/

If you cannot download the one.exe file, I split them into 2 pieces for floppy use.

read more about how they work at

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?a...=5114&hl=winfix

Option^Explicit,

I downloaded and run your program and got the same error messege as Wordcountess. But the good thing is, it fixed my problem!!!! As of now, I'm posting from my computer running the problematic Windows Me.

But I always wonder what caused my problem :blank:

Anyway, getting a network connection back is very good enough. Thank you very much!!!!! :woot:

Edited by Condotiere