Change Mode

Intel Or Amd?

Guest steve.mcgnn

hey i am like just starting to learn about all of the different parts of a computer i do have the main idea of it all i just don't know the really deep into things like my question is that i am plannig on making a good gaming pc and i was wondering should i get a intel or amd based prcessor and what one?

AMD is the way to go for a gaming computer. Which one depends on your budget. Like we used to say about building hotrods...

"Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

If you have the budget, an SLI system with a minimum of an A64 3500 would be very nice, but obviously, the faster the processor the better it will do at gaming, the ultimate being an A64 4000 or an FX55.

Hopefully the AMD guys will be along shortly with more detailed (and informed :rolleyes: ) suggestions.

:welcome:

For gaming and the sort:

AMD

For office applications and multitasking:

Intel

AMD's SLI is rocking IMO, and their new processers are the best. The AMD FX-55 is the most powerful processor, with 64bit archetecture (sp?), and Hypertransport.

Also, it depends on your budget.

The AMD 3200+ 90NM is a :tup: too!

I am building a computer currently...I am designing one that is semi-economical, good for work (will have to use for lots of graphics and presentations) and a good solid gaming system.

I researched for about 3 weeks and here is what I have come up with:

CPU - AMD, go with a socket 939 either a 3200 90nm or better if you want

Mobo- Abit or Asus seem to both have good setups, I opted out of going SLI as it seems a bit over what I will need, but if you have the cash, go for it

HD- I went with a WD 160 Gig SATA, I recommend that you don't go less than 120, if you plan to setup a RAID system though, configure them as you like

RAM- I picked Corsair XMS 1gig (2x512) ...make sure you get good ram, with decent latency

DVD- they all seemed very comparible, I got a sony dual layer burner

Floppy- hey why not :) maybe it's just the old fashioned in me, I don't know what I'll use it for other than initial setup for my system

OS- XP pro, although Media Center 2005 had me thinking for a week or so

Graphics- 6600GT, don't think the brand matters too much but it seems to be the best bang for your buck for an 8X AGP

Monitor - 19'LCD this is entirely optional but I went ahead and tossed some big cash for one, make sure to go for one that has DVI input, and a good response time if you plan on gaming

Hope this helps

hey i am like just starting to learn about all of the different parts of a computer i do have the main idea of it all i just don't know the really deep into things like my question is that i am plannig on making a good gaming pc and i was wondering should i get a intel or amd based prcessor and what one?

Check this out

The above poster has a point, but I should also mention that I set my system up so that it will be upgradable to the dual cores when they come out. The only thing I skimped on was going PCI-E, and to be honest with you, it was a hard choice. For my work the AGP will more than suffice, for my gaming it came down to me asking myself if I wanted to spend the extra bucks just for a PCI-E setup. I would highly recommend creating a system based on the socket 939 AMD though.

heres a price chart of todays cpu's, the price may be slightly different on other web sites, but not much, heres my opinion speed and cache size are key in performance and i can disagree about amd being the best for a gamer pc cause of one reason, you need a really good video wich has its own cpu or gpu along with its own memory and if the card is good then it will not affect the cpu whether its intel or amd, so dont be fooled, compare prices speed and cache size and you will be a winner, and from my knowlege the best card out there is the nvidia 6800gt, the vid card is the most important piece to a gaming machine :)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Ca...ategory_cpu.asp

the best amd chip

features

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 / 1MB / 2000Mhz FSB / Socket 939 / Processor costing 850$

intel but not the best

Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz / 1MB Cache / 800MHz FSB / Socket 478 / HyperThreading / Processor cost 200$

difference fsb or front side bus and the amd is 64bit

i use the intel chip discribed above and i play intense games like doom 3, joint operations typhoon rising, call of duty, besides me not having a 6800gt they still play good but not excelent like if i had a 6800, compare technoligy and price and choose well :)

I agree with duanester,

CPU has very little to do with gaming

I like my EE 2meg L3 512L2 cache

But have been looking at the FX55 just not sure.

Right now I can rip or recode a DVD and play Doom3 - Halflife 2 at the same time.

And only use 17 or 18% of my cpu.

On the 3200+ AMD64 no go either game or rip when I tried both the game was choppy and ripped or recoded files were messed up.

I would say for gaming go for the best and biggest video card.

I like My BFG 68U much better then my PNY 68U

CPU AMD 2800 or higher Intel 3000 or higher should be way more then you need.

Guest steve.mcgnn

how bout AMD Athlon 64 3200+ / 512KB Cache / 2000 MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Processor for gaming because i don kinda have a tight bidget

by the way thanks all for your help

If you buy an Intel chip buy a Northwood core chip, either the 3.0 or 3.2. It wont provide as much upgradability but they are better than the Prescott chips and should be plenty fast enough to do virtually anything you want to do with your computer.

go with a dfi lanparty 250gb ut and a 3000 64bit and overclock it too 2.5ghz and you have fast gaming computer im ony useing a 9800se moded too pro and it plays every game i throw at it scores 20k on 3dmark 2001 im thinking of upgradeing the video card soon :shifty:

I would say for gaming go for the best and biggest video card.

I like My BFG 68U much better then my PNY 68U

CPU AMD 2800 or higher Intel 3000 or higher should be way more then you need.

i must agree with the video card im able to do more without sharing my system memory with my video and AMD is the way to go take it from someone that doesnt overclock and needs to do mutitasking has has both intel(laptop) amd (desktop) computers

Trust me you will love the Amd

take a look at my Amd pit test

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=KZX1MWSPXNRSADV7

remember all stock no overclocking and no tweaking (when i ran that test)