Sign in to follow this  
HarryB

Xp Hates Floppy Drive?

I recently put together my first ever complete system:

a] AMD 3200+ (Socket 939) Winchester (90nm)

b] 1Gig Kingston DDR400 memory ( two matched 512M sticks)

c] MSI K8N Neo2 nForce3 board

d] A very nominal ATI Excalibur 9550 video card ( I'm not a gamer)

e] Seagate 160 GB 7200rpm SATA harddrive with NCQ

f] Generic toshiba floppy.

g] A VERY quitec Antec case

h] WinXP SP2

i] I elected to use the on-board sound...which is not very good but I'll live for now

I am quite happy with this set. The speed is just great for me and I have nothing really bad to say so far about it, except for two disabling things:

1. The system simply will not run my Agfa 1212u scanner (don't even try to advise me on it, please..I'd rather just buy a proper scanner.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY:

2. The floppy simply does not want to work.

I have scoured the internet and have found numerous folks that are experiencing the same exact problem specifically with WinXP. No-one seems to have resolved this problem for any of the cases I have tracked. Microsoft, with respect, appears to be in utter denial and seem to assume people are trying to use 720kB disks when they are getting this problem. NOT TRUE.

So the question is, has anyone got a suggestion for me on what to do:

When I try to read from the floppy I get:

"the disk in drive a is not formatted. Do you wantto format it now?"

When I press "yes", I get:

"Windows was unable to complete the format"

and when I close that box, it gives:

"The disk in drive A cannot be formatted"

I have OBVIOUSLY tried various disks.

I have checked the connector...it is the right way round ( it was wrong originally)

I have tried 3 ( THREE) different floppy drives....same result

I have tried formatting the a disk on a Win98SE machine...it is fine, but the XP rejects it

Lastly, I have tried to format via the "command line" and get:

"The type of the file system is RAW"

"The new file system is FAT"

"Formatting 1.44M"

"Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable"

VERY inspiring indeed.... :angry: Microsoft are no help whatsoever.

SO...Is there any wisdom on this matter on this forum?

You can take a look at the PCPitstop test of my machine HERE

I have an Agfa 1212u running perfectly. Do you have the original installation disk? If you have that you can then update the xp software from the Agfa website.

Regarding your floppy disks.

I have had the same trouble. The first question I was asked was, "How old is the floppy disk". Mine was created 2 years ago. I was then told that floppy disks do deteriorate fairly quickly, it is better to transfer all data on floppys to cdrom as soon as possible.

Hope this helps a bit. :)

Maldwyn,

As I have said....have tried three diferent drives and have tried various floppies...old, new etc etc. No luck. Tried the same floppies on other machines and they are OK. The problem is definitely with either XP or the board...no way is the floppy drive or the floppies the problem.

It could be as someelse said old floppies. If the box has been near a source with a magnetic field it will ruin the floppies. The system I built with a floppy drive 3 months ago works fine with a floppy drive as does the system I built 1 year ago that runs XP works just fine with the floppy drive.

Set your bios to boot from floppy and put a DOS or harddrive utility disk in the drive and reboot. if it dont work its the floppy or the controler

Andrew S.

Thanks for the comments.

I'll take another look at the 1212u. I really did work through the whole thing in detail at the time witout any success. I did download the latest Agfa software, and ultimately uninstalled it. Seems I left the older version on the machine somehow. I'll remove everything and try one more time with the latest Agfa software...

Right now I just need to get the floppy going first. The thing mystifies me utterly.

I'll get back to the 1212u.

Edited by HarryB

err Mouse,

as regards floppies....I have tried old ones, new ones, red ones , blue ones, yellow ones black ones...e-works, Verbatin, Maxell, Sony, GoldTron.. .frankly you name it. I took ones from other PCs where they worked just fine and tried to read them on this present XP machine...no luck. I take them back to the other PC and they work just fine.

Here's the INTERESTING BIT: I take a disk that is formatted on a Win98SE machine. I put one simple file on it for testing. I take this disk to the XP machine. Obviously the XP refuses to read anything. I try to fromat the the same disk on the XP, and it refuses as explained before. The drive clearly gets the instructions, goes away trying to format, and then comes back with the fateful line: "Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable". HOWEVER, the disk is wiped and is no longer readable by the Win98SE. So SOMETHING is happening...but it is only destructive.

Some websites suggest formatting on a Win2000 or Win98SE and then trying on the XP...no luck. They work fine on my other Win98SE machines, and fail utterly on the XP machine.

I repeat...I am NOT alone...take a look around the internet by searching:

"windows was unable to complete the format" +XP and see what you get. You'll be surprised.

I'm afraid his is a very real technical issue and not a garden variety operational oversight on usage of floppies. Thanks for trying to help though. Could be I have done something idiotic elsewhere...dunno! :erm:

However, I suspect the MSI motherboard and its firmware.

Badbob, I'll give your idea a shot...but I'll obviously have to make the disk on another machine.....I do not have another XP machine; only Win98SE :(

You might want to try the floppy drive in another PC with SP2 that is not having any problems. Perhaps a friend or relative. Your SP2 installation could be corrupted somehow or incomplete. See if the mfr of the floppy has any pre SP2 installation downloads.

Harry. Do not uninstall the old Agfa Snapscan software. It still needs it.

Taking it out will cause you more grief than if your favourite football team loses at home.

Andrew S.,

So noted...will not uninstall. Old 1212u software shall remain untouched for generations to admire while the 1212u fades into obscurity...or possibly gets burnt ritually in frustration.

I must say that my original MSI system of 2001 (with AMD thunderbird 1GHz cpu)demonstrated the same inability to work with the 1212u. When that MSI board blew up, I replaced it with an Asus board and kept the same chip and Win98SE installation...literally replaced the motherboard underneath the lot....and suddenly the 1212u worked beautifully for the next three years.

Now I have bought an MSI again, and again the 1212u does not work. So I think the issue is really MSI (or its chipset).

If one read the 2001 Agfa website on the subject of the 1212u, they blamed AMD and called them uncooperative....so why then did the same AMD 1000MHz Thunderbird chip work so well with the Asus board to run the 1212u.

Noting your flag, I should point out I am more of a rugby and cricket guy......football does not do it for me....neither the European nor the American versions. So, I think the way Agfa handles this "is just not cricket", so to speak.

However, I'll promise to cheer for the American and European football teams if that will get me an answer to my present woes from anyone.

Edited by HarryB

thehulk18,

I believe I will get my grubby paws on an XP system ( I suspect it is SP2) on Friday, and then I shall play with a floppy which I KNOW IS WORKING (since I have used it before). A disk formatted on that system will come home with me....then we'll see.

have you tried using a different cable to connect the drive to the board? if thats not it then you got a bad controller.

Do they play cricket in British Columbia ? (wherever that is)

Well that link to that Atlas is a worry, it says all Canada pages are being revised. Are you sure it's on the West Coast?

Harry, I have almost exactly the same system as you and experienced the exact same problem w/ my floppy drive. After some lengthy trouble-shooting, I discovered that if I physically manipulated the floppy in the drive (after inserting it), it would work. Moving on, I discovered that if I "slammed" the floppy in the drive (using more force than normally needed to insert a floppy), it would also work. There's something about the Toshiba Floppy Drive that causes the diskette to not fully engage when you use the normal amount of force upon insertion. I've got another drive on-order, but am able now to use this one by the above mentioned method.

rkbynum,

I have now perpetrated all manner of violence on the floppy disk while inserting it....no luck. Thanks for the idea, though! Many things in my life have been fixed by virtue of a well-placed kick... :rolleyes:

Nebraska ( firekracker),

you'd break the hearts of the sensitive folks of the Pacific Northwest if you were to lose Oregon and Washington state in the process of sorting out your atlas. :unsure:

Oz (Andrew S.),

we're in Canada north of Washington State...the southwestern corner of BC around Vancouver is sort of the only bit of Canada that does not freeze over in winter. The rain off the Pacific in winter looks after that...lots of it...2150mm worth per year here where I live :rain:

...If you stood still long enough you might drown in the more than 7 foot of the stuff! :(:P

...but summer is really fantastic!

Sounds a bit like bashing the old head against the brick wall..

Great when you stop.

Guest lhavel3266

I recently took an old floppy drive from a 3 year old gateway pc I had laying around. It works fine. So I ordered a new floppy drive. Installed it and guess what......... same damn thing. S I am putting the old drive back in from the gateway and using it. It has to be a bios issue. I have had no luck for over a year with this problem...

I have checked the connector...it is the right way round ( it was wrong originally)

How do you know since many cables give no indication on how they go.

Did you by chance bend a pin or push one into the floppy drive even slightly???

That particular error message usually means only 1 thing.

The connector cable at one end needs to be turned upside down and reinserted. You'll need to try one end then the other end and combinations in between. Windows can see the disk in the drive, but because one of the ends is flipped the wrong way you will get the 'cannot format, cant read blah blah blah errors. As soon as you have the cable the right direction it should work. I have a brand new system and had the same problem. The new cable I used has no indication whatsoever on which direction on which end that it goes. Once you find the correct combination it should work.