Change Mode

The Iraqi Elections

BBC link works now.

The UN, as many peeps have often pointed out here, is the sum of its parts. It needs votes in the Security Council to take direct action so criticisms of UN inaction should be directed at the SC permanent Members, not the UN as a body.

No thanks. I like to bash the whole enchilada. I don't believe in the structure of the SC and it should be wiped out and restructured.

Pointing to the SC gives them more credibility than they deserve IMHO.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe in the structure of the SC and it should be wiped out and restructured.

Yeah. How about ' No Member who is in breach of UN Resolutions or Geneva Conventions is allowed a veto ' ?

I don't believe in the structure of the SC and it should be wiped out and restructured.

Pointing to the SC gives them more credibility than they deserve IMHO.

You're a sharp thinker doc but the above pair of declarations are daft in their combination. The SC as it now stands must be eliminated but there's no way to do that without paying attention to it first: Logically, politically, practically and publicly.

I

Edited by Iain

The SC as it now stands must be eliminated but there's no way to do that without paying attention to it first: Logically, politically, practically and publicly.

The current suggestions, which have to be voted on later in the year, involve, I believe, 24 SC Members and an expanded veto system.Full Report

K.A.;

Excellencies,

I make no apology for the detailed, matter-of-fact nature of this presentation.  As far as detail goes, I assure you it is merely the tip of the iceberg.  I trust that you will read my report in full.  You will find in it many more proposals than I have had time to describe here.

As for being matter-of-fact, I have deliberately spared you any flights of rhetoric.  This hall has heard enough high-sounding declarations to last us for some decades to come.  We all know what the problems are, and we all know what we have promised to achieve.  What is needed now is not more declarations or promises, but action to fulfil the promises already made. 

I believe my report provides a clear programme of actions that are fully within the power of your governments to take.  I urge you once again to study it.  And I urge your heads of state and government to be ready to take those decisions when they come here in September.

Thank you very much.

Edited by moon

You're a sharp thinker doc but the above pair of declarations are daft in their combination. The SC as it now stands must be eliminated but there's no way to do that without paying attention to it first: Logically, politically, practically and publicly.

I

Sure, of course. But for bashing purposes I can choose to nail the UN in general for it.

Sort of like giving a broad spectrum antibiotic. It will treat the specific infection......and also the other bugs that are running around.....

BBC link works now.

The UN, as many peeps have often pointed out here, is the sum of its parts. It needs votes in the Security Council to take direct action so criticisms of UN inaction should be directed at the SC permanent Members, not the UN as a body.

7. Corrupt contracts: Mr. Pollock stated erroneously that the “US and Britain held up some obviously corrupt contracts under the Oil-for-Food.” In fact, neither the US, the UK nor any other country held up a single OFFP contract out of concerns over corruption, even though UN staff had flagged suspicious contracts and warned the Security Council committee overseeing the Programme.

All contracts had to be submitted to the UN for approval via the national authorities of each supplier. All details of every contract were known not only by the national authorities of each supplier but also by the members of the Security Council 661 Committee — including, of course, the US — who had the power to approve or hold any contract. All the US and UK “holds” related to concerns about “dual use”, not corruption.

http://www.un.org/News/dh/iraq/shashi-3dec.htm

Oil for food & UN corruption is all a figment of Fox's warped imagination :blank:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4390703.stm

Ain't Representative Democracy a honey ?

Just how long did you think it would take moon?

Have you ever seen such a thing go smoothly even under more ideal circumstances?

I have seen just as much turmoil in getting a student government going.

They will do it. Have some tolerance for a people that are in upheaval in the middle of a war torn land.

Oh, I will. I'll have some for Iraqis as well.

Not very funny. If you need to stretch that far to create insults then why bother?

Iraqis as well? The subject is Iraq....so as well?

Iraqis as well as Iraqis?

There was no other subject even remotely suggested in my post so perhaps you would like to clarify your new subject? Unless of course you are satisfied with not making sense.

Perhaps you mean Ireland?

OK 'doc, let's indulge in a bout of pointless analysis.

You said;

Not very funny.

therefore undeniably admitting that you knew it was a joke. ( even if you didn't like it)

So, what's all the pompous padding about ?

Edited by moon

There was no other subject even remotely suggested in my post so perhaps you would like to clarify your new subject? Unless of course you are satisfied with not making sense.

Made sense to me and was quite amusing too :lol:

as if you need my help :shifty:

now get in there and tell her the cure is to shave her head, paint her butt purple and to run naked up and down the main street in her hick town screaming "can anyone see me? can anyone see me?"

If they ignore her then she is menopausal - if they throw rocks at her, she needs to get dressed.

tell her you need pics posted to aid your diagnosis - It's ok, she believes anything anyone tells her :beer: