Change Mode

The Iraqi Elections

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're cherry-picking reports, 'doc. A large proportion of Sunnis, in Sunni areas, were prevented from participating by violence or by threat. That wouldn't be tolerated in a normal democracy and lowers the credibility of the results.

I don't reject the results at all, I am just pointing out that it failed my criteria for a democratic election. If it doesn't fail yours, then your standards are lower than mine.

The extent to which threat and violence influenced the turnout, and the result, should become clearer over the next few days. Perhaps you will be a little more understanding then.

I'm sure you will poiunt out you view on it as it emerges.

As far as my standards for Democracy, I believe they are higher than yours. Mine are simply of a different type.

According to your standards, Saddam would still be in power and there would be no elections.

Mine are the highest of all of us :)

According to your standards, Saddam would still be in power and there would be no elections.

If my standards were met, Bush wouldn't still be in power and America would have fair and 'corruption-free' elections :lol:

Don't be churlish. According to the standard set in Iraq, the American election results would have stood if California had been forced to stay at home by gunpoint.

Don't be churlish. According to the standard set in Iraq, the American election results would have stood if California had been forced to stay at home by gunpoint.

Hardly the same.

They have a couple days to launch official complaints. Let's see now...the people that officially boycotted the election are going to officially complain that they were under represented at the polls? Yeah. Good luck with that.

Mine are the highest of all of us :)

If my standards were met, Bush wouldn't still be in power and America would have fair and 'corruption-free' elections :lol:

So your standard is to violate the rights and will of the people by contradicting the popular vote?

Wow. :mrsgreen:

So your standard is to violate the rights and will of the people by contradicting the popular vote?

Wow. :mrsgreen:

Popular vote?

If we were to use the "popular vote" then Bush never would have had a first term. We wouldn't have an ever increasing debt, an unsurmountable deficit that grows larger by the day, no trampling of the constitution, no trampling of the geneva convention, no trampling of americans rights, no unjust wars, no torturing of innocent people, no incarcerations without charges and trials, we would still have our European allies as "friends" :lol: Simply put we wouldn't be in the horror show we currently find ourselves in.

Thats all a moot point as we don't use the popular vote, as I am sure you know. I am happy that we don't, I just wish people understood what the results of their poor decisions would be before they make such lousy choices.

We wouldn't have an ever increasing debt, an unsurmountable deficit that grows larger by the day, no trampling of the constitution, no trampling of the geneva convention, no trampling of americans rights, no unjust wars, no torturing of innocent people, no incarcerations without charges and trials, we would still have our European allies as "friends"

a rather large assumption, especially since mr gores predicessor developed extensive war plans and actually wanted to attack Iraq.

Ah, but the rest of the country wouldn't have accepted them.

Would they ? lol.gif

debateable

Popular vote :lol:

Ah, I see, it really is a joke then. So what leaders would you like to install and where? (Thankfully that is all just imaginary.)

What happened to you folks going on and on about how the US was going to install their own leader in Iraq.

All of a sudden as the results emerge you are silent on that. Where are the cries of colonialism now that the overwhelming victor is Iranian and a religious figure?

Did you notice that women voted in that election? I was waiting and waiting for somebody to notice, yet you were silent.

In the beginning the US did not allow women or blacks to vote. Yet our country grew out of that. Our country is extremely strong in its foundations in spite of it. In addition to that I posted a very informative map regarding the elections during our Civil War.

All of those elections were legitimate. Our nation stood strong on democratic principles in spite of the issues I speak of, and I say that as a minority myself.

The issues in the Iraq elections are not outside of what is acceptable for any new democracy or a democracy in civil war, such issues do not in any way decrease the validity of the elction. to think so would be to call into question the very existence of the United States.

Popular vote?

If we were to use the "popular vote" then Bush never would have had a first term. We wouldn't have an ever increasing debt, an unsurmountable deficit that grows larger by the day, no trampling of the constitution, no trampling of the geneva convention, no trampling of americans rights, no unjust wars, no torturing of innocent people, no incarcerations without charges and trials, we would still have our European allies as "friends" :lol: Simply put we wouldn't be in the horror show we currently find ourselves in.

Thats all a moot point as we don't use the popular vote, as I am sure you know. I am happy that we don't, I just wish people understood what the results of their poor decisions would be before they make such lousy choices.

Well then, allow me to revise my statement to more accurately reflect my meaning.

Revision:

So your standard is to violate the rights and will of the people by contradicting democracy?

As far as your other specualtions, I disagree.

Edited by Chopdoc

The issues in the Iraq elections are not outside of what is acceptable for any new democracy or a democracy in civil war, such issues do not in any way decrease the validity of the elction. to think so would be to call into question the very existence of the United States.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The issues in the Iraq elections are not outside of what is acceptable for any new democracy or a democracy in civil war, such issues do not in any way decrease the validity of the elction

Oh yes they do. Such issues don't invalidate the results but they certainly do, imo, dilute their validity.

My globe is 90% pink and dates back to 1775....... :mrwinky:

Well then I understand. Perhaps something more up to date would be helpful? If only just a year or two?

Things do change over the course of a couple hundred years you know.

If you update to one from the cold war (don't worry you'll learn about that) don't be concerned too much that the pnk represents something different. Those little dotted lines are major flight paths...airplanes (don't worry you'll catch up on that one too). As far as the missiles, don't be frightened, the USSR is dissolved (you'll catch up on the missiles and the evil empire too)

;):mrgreen:

Oh yes they do. Such issues don't invalidate the results but they certainly do, imo, dilute their validity.

:lol::lol::lol:

Will you re-read what you typed?

I think I know what you mean (though as a scientist I question the idea that there are degrees of validity).

Dude.....invalidate....root word valid......hmmmm...diluted validity...... :blink:

I guess I just have trouble with the degrees of validity thing. But that's just me.

I think I know what you meant and if I am right I don't disagree.

I think what I would disagree on is the significance of it.

:beer: :)

Oh cool B) All the nasty missiles were taken care of after the USSR was dissolved then. Thanks for the info. I can sleep sound and safe tonight :P

YUP!

None of the nasty ones are left!

Well....there are others.....but don't worry about those......

Sleep well.

You do know where your local radiation shelter is...right? Just a thought.....