Change Mode

Ip Address Through Router?

Guest DaRCYZero

Guest DaRCYZero

Im trying to connect to my friends computer, and he has it through a router with 3 other computers on the line. When he looks at his IP address it is 192.168.1.14 which is from what I know, one that is assigned to the computer and not the ACTUAL IP address. We tried using video conferencing software he was able to connect to my IP address, and through the software I got his address (some 67.xx.xx.xx number..) but when I try dialing it, it will not connect. I don't know much about the router or assigned IP addresses he has but Im wondering how I can find out the ACTUAL IP address to connect to? Thanks!

I had him run Winipcfg too.. and it just gave the 192 and 255 numbers.. and would not connect.

He also went to the main computer that the cable modem and router was hooked up to and ran winipcfg.. we still cant figure it out..

Edited by DaRCYZero

For most conferencing software, you won't be able to make a connection unless you configure the firewall to direct a particular incoming port to his system. If he has the router making arbitrary IP address assignments (the normal situation with most home routers) then you will also need to reconfigure it so that his computer gets the same IP address each time. So the process would go something like this:

1) Figure out the real external IP address. You can get this from a test at PC Pitstop like Traceroute or the full tests. Let's say it's 66.66.66.66

2) Determine what IP port is being used by the conf software. Let's say it's 9999.

3) Configure the router's DHCP to always assign the same IP to that particular computer. This is done by MAC address. So somewhere in a config screen you'd have to enter the MAC address and a particular private IP address like 192.168.0.128. Usually the router's DHCP screen will tell you the MAC addresses being currently used.

4) Configure the router to always route port 9999 to 192.168.0.128.

5) From your computer, try connecting to 66.66.66.66 and it should get to his system.

Yes, it's complicated... :(

An easier way to set up a static IP is to just manually enter the IP info, etc. into the Windows NIC properties. That way, it will always grab the same IP from the router.

Stasi, if you do it that way will it actually go out to the router at all for DHCP? I thought it didn't if you assign a static IP. If you choose one that is in the same pool being assigned by the router, you could end up with two computers trying to use the same IP.

Stasi, if you do it that way will it actually go out to the router at all for DHCP? I thought it didn't if you assign a static IP. If you choose one that is in the same pool being assigned by the router, you could end up with two computers trying to use the same IP.

Nope, it doesn't talk DHCP to the router. I had to use this method a while back when my router refused to NOT use DHCP as server for some reason. It works, trust me. I recommended it as a potentially easier method to establish a static IP on the computer than going into the router and matching IPs with MAC addys, just cos I wasn't too sure the original poster would feel comfortable doing that and I'm not too sure how easy their router makes it. In Windows, it's pretty much the exact same process whether it's Win98 or XP. With DHCP server enabled on the router end, yes, if you have one computer set up for a static IP on the client side, you may run into issues with two machines trying to have the same IP, but you can just go through each machine and set it.

Guest DaRCYZero

Ok Im still confused, the site shows the config for the router but nothing can be changed.. can you give me further assistance? thanks

Guest DaRCYZero

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-7052-...-8409829-1.html

I dont think any of it helps.

it isnt my computer though its my friends.. i can ask him if he knows where the manual is for it... i wish this didnt have to be so hard. I understood most of what you said (or so I think) about changing the MAC address or whatever and having the port that the conferencing software allow that one computer with an assigned address to go through.. but we don't know how to get INTO the router to change any of the addresses.. so I guess that is what poses the problem... :-\

Edited by DaRCYZero

to get INTO your router.. u just type the ip address. find out the first 4 numbers.. 192.168.100.1

how to do this.. the way i do it.. is go to a command post and type in ipconfig/all and hit enter

that will give you your ip address.

type the first four sections of that number into your browser address and hit enter. when a window pops up.. type admin and hit enter. NO password.

that should get ya to where u need to be.

Guest DaRCYZero

We tried that, he just gets 0.0.0.0 numbers as an IP and a 192.168.1.11 number.. and we tried putting them int he browser and they cannot be displayed.. so i dont know whats going on. we tried the 192.168.100.1 and that just gives gen. info on the router and doesnt get us into it.... is there another way to get this pop up window??

Guest cabledude3

The typical router uses an internal IP of 192.168.1.1 by default, not 192.168.100.1. Many cable modems have internal web-pages for management and they often use the 100.1 number.

The default login is usually admin and the password is also admin until you change it.

I don't know about Compaq routers, but most allow you to go to the advanced tab and set one of the PC's behind the router as a 'DMZ Host'. That allows external taffic to reach whichever host is specified for video conferencing, game serving, etc...

In your case, you would enter 192.168.1.11 as the DMZ host if that is the IP the computer has on it. I recommend downloading Zone Alarm and installing it on that machine, then configure it to block the other traffic from reaching your PC since making it the DMZ host will take it out from behind the router's firewall.

Zone Alarm is free and that would be the easiest way to do what you are wanting. There are other ways, but it is secure and keeps all other machines safe behind the firewall.

:erm: