Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TeMerc

180solutions Joins Coast?!

Company Joins Consortium to Ensure Highest Privacy and Consent Standards for Consumers Online

Distribution Source : PRNewswire

Date : Friday - January 14, 2005

BELLEVUE, Wash., Jan. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- 180solutions, a provider of search marketing solutions, today announced it has become a developer member of the Consortium of Anti-Spyware Technology vendors (COAST).

COAST (http://www.coast-info.org/) is a non-profit organization comprised of anti-spyware vendors, software developers and researchers who have come together in an effort to educate and protect consumers and businesses from the Internet's burgeoning spyware problem. By working with COAST and complying with its strict Code of Ethics, standards and guidelines, 180solutions aligns itself with the organization's governing companies, Aluria Software LLC, PestPatrol, Inc. (recently acquired by Computer Associates), Webroot, Inc., and NoAdware.net.

Full read:

http://press.arrivenet.com/bus/article.php/561218.html

Suzi:

WTH is COAST thinking??? I don’t get it, I really don’t. 180solutions is one of the most notorious and obnoxious adware/spyware companies out there. Read about nCase, installation problems, installation through security holes, with no EULA or prompts to install, difficulty with uninstalling, recruiting affiliates to bundle the software for payoffs per installation and recruiting advertisers by spam. (most links via Ben Edelman)

I have a question for Pest Patrol, (Computer Associates), Webroot Software (makers of Spy Sweeper), both highly regarded anti-spyware programs and recommended by Spyware Warrior’s Eric Howes. How can you justify admitting 180solutions into COAST when your very own software targets and removes it?

CastleCops is asking questions too. “Have they (180solutions) cleaned up their act?” “Is COAST creating a double standard?”

Something is VERY wrong with this picture.

http://www.netrn.net/spywareblog/

Spyware ,adware,and malware and the tools to clean them are really becoming a tangled web. I said it couldnt possibly be so but the conspiracy theorists are starting to look like they know what they're talking about. That is a really scary thought to me. Ive had 2 people today ask me if having a computer was worth all the troubles. Another post I read today(not at pcpitstop) the poor user was infected trying to find asphalt patch for his driveway and was wondering if it was worth it.

Must we go back to mail order? They are spoiling the internet,and will turn users off if they dont find answers soon. I convinced my parents to get a pc almost a year ago,(their first expirence) They are elderly and enjoy it but I think an infection like CWS or about blank will do them in.

Its a shame really.

Thanks for all you do to help,and for listening to my rant. :rolleyes:

COAST now has 180Solutions and New.Net as members. Webroot and Computer Associates should get out immediately and stop supporting an organization that legitimizes spyware and adware.

"Joining COAST demonstrates our continued commitment to defining and upholding the industry's highest standards for gaining consumer consent and protecting consumer privacy. We've consistently taken a firm stance against the collection of personally identifiable information, have been a proponent for using simple language disclosures, and have continuously improved our users' experience

Haha, you have to be kidding, does anybody else find that last part striking "and have continuously improved out users' experience." thats just to funny because from what ive seen people with 180solutions products on thei computer are doing this number :bang:

COAST now has 180Solutions and New.Net as members. Webroot and Computer Associates should get out immediately and stop supporting an organization that legitimizes spyware and adware.

I agree. It sounds to me like COAST has become a worthless entity and should be shunned by all legitimate anti-spyware associates. -kd5-

Suzi picked up on Wayne Porters article:

Wayne Porter of XBlock is asking To Coast or not To Coast.

Recently I wrote a piece called “Why We Don’t Do Adware” and now I find myself compelled to write again about “Why We Don’t Do COAST”. A few months ago we had the opportunity to join the group but after reading an article by Nicholas Stark, from LavaSoft and after reviewing the conduct of some of the members we decided to take a pass. It pained us to do so because we feel that the grass roots security movement really needs a collaborative organization sans dues to get together to discuss the complicated trends occurring in the malware space.

Wayne discusses COAST and its so-called code of ethics. This is an outstanding article and a must read if you are at all concerned about this sorry state of affairs.

Wayne Porter:

Recently I wrote a piece called “Why We Don’t Do Adware” and now I find myself compelled to write again about “Why We Don’t Do COAST”. A few months ago we had the opportunity to join the group but after reading an article by Nicholas Stark, from LavaSoft and after reviewing the conduct of some of the members we decided to take a pass. It pained us to do so because we feel that the grass roots security movement really needs a collaborative organization sans dues to get together to discuss the complicated trends occurring in the malware space.

What is COAST?

COAST is a non-profit organization comprised of anti-spyware vendors, software developers and researchers who have come together in an effort to educate and protect consumers and businesses from the Internet's burgeoning spyware problem. By working with COAST and complying with its strict Code of Ethics, standards and guidelines, 180solutions aligns itself with the organization's governing companies, Aluria Software LLC, PestPatrol, Inc. (recently acquired by Computer Associates), Webroot, Inc., and NoAdware.net

COAST has recently rised the ire of many activists because of the admission of 180 Solutions. There has been much documentation of conduct from 180 Solutions that makes my eyebrows rise at the very thought of a company like that being admitted into a coalition designed to protect and educate consumers. For the release

about 180 check out http://press.arrivenet.com/bus/article.php/561218.html Their conduct and the conduct of their affiliates has been less than stellar.

Full read:

http://www.xblock.com/articles/article_show.php?id=67