:help: Hello,

Can anyone please tell me if I would be making a mistake if I download PC BOOSTER. It's advertised here at the pitstop, so I ssume it's a good program and safe to have...I am desparate to try and boost my computer speed, and get rid of any kinks it may have....

Cna someone help me??

Thank you much!

:blink:

HI,

I am trying to do both...faster everything if that's possible...56K dial up here in very rural Wyoming. I also would like a program that can detect & fix problems lurking inside my computer...I am not a 'techie' person, don't know much about the inner working of these machines, and from experience (all bad) I know I need to be careful about what programs I choose to download to make my computer work better ect. I just upgraded to 128RAM... mostly, I want any problems fixed and hope to get a faster connection speed ect...too much to ask?

Can you advise me??

Thanks so much!

56 k dialup....

that booster wont do a thing for you and i wouldnt even use it on my high speed internet.

oh.. and download accelerators.. stay away from em. they suck and they screw up your pc. at least they did mine and many others. most peeps just download it for trial on their own and then later learn that they were much better off without it

Edited by Newdles

:erm:

Thanks for all the replies...I clicked on the link radio gave...thank you, you just saved me money & greif!! it does seem that the pitstop is advertising PC Booster...very mis leading, and I am sooo glad I asked first (this time).

I am going to foregt about accelerators...now i am going to download AdAware...I had it, uninstalled it, and now I guess i'd best get it back...I ran the test ofr checking my computer for nasties...it found quite a few..better get my spyware program downloaded.

Thanks all!!

PS..if ya got anyhting to add to this...please go for it! best way to learn stuff is to read posts ect...I love this place!

chaoschannel,

I need to sign off for now....have chores to do, but I will try and get my test results here ASAP...

I apprecitae your reply, and in my other reply here i have given up on boosters of any kind....and need to re install my Adaware program pronto!!

Thanks dude!!

Hello Joanied. If you un-installed ad-aware before that implies you had a reason to do so. Its a pretty good prog and does its job well. If you want an alternative try running Spybot. Spybot is the other spyware program everybody here uses. You can get it here : http://beam.to/spybotsd If you were un-satisfied with adaware for some reason try this one out. (or try it anyway, cant be too careful :) )

Guest vincevab

I have an older system and I have tried a lot of different boosters and ended up dumping them all.At their best,my speed was the same on downloads,some even slowed me down.I have come to the conclusion that the only way to get faster speeds is to get a faster machine.

Guest /.Dork

:erm:

Thanks for all the replies...I clicked on the link radio gave...thank you, you just saved me money & greif!! it does seem that  the pitstop is advertising PC Booster...very mis leading, and I am sooo glad I asked first (this time).

I am going to foregt about accelerators...now i am going to download AdAware...I had it, uninstalled it, and now I guess i'd best get it back...I ran the test ofr checking my computer for nasties...it found quite a few..better get my spyware program downloaded.

Thanks all!!

PS..if ya got anyhting to add to this...please go for it! best way to learn stuff is to read posts ect...I love this place!

If you want machine speed:

1) The faster your processor the better. 800Mhz or higher on a good board will suffice for basic computing. Gee, I still have a few P2 233 w/64MBram machines that still perform rather well for a lot of things :P not to mention a P133 w/16MBram :woot:

2) RAM, RAM and MORE RAM. (AKA, memory) 128MB good, 256 BETTER

3) A good graphics card wouldn't hurt either, 32MB or better

-basic essentials

If you want fast Internet:

56K dial-up, well your stuck with a little crawling. I'm currently posting this reply and do a lot of my Interneting with my laptop (800Mhz P3 w/256MBram) using a cell phone as a wireless modem with only a 14.4Kbps data transmission rate and as long as I stay away from streaming media and gigantic downloads i'm cool. Browsing, I've noticed most sites load in 5-13 seconds, even most flashed sites load well, most website designers design with page load speed in mind and thankfully have not forgot about us dial-up users. If it's speed your after, I have access to a local cable providers broadband Internet access where I live and when I want to stream Music Video's, News Video's etc.. or do monsterous downloads, well it doesn't even compare with dial-up. If you don't have a Cable broadband or DSL broadband solution available in your area you can more than likely get into a satteilite solution which usually offers around 400Kbps downstream and 128Kbps upstream. Any of those three will knock your socks off regarding your desire for faster Internet access.

For system maintenance:

Grab yourself a good system maintenance program like vcoms system suite, nortons system works or something like that. Do a search via your favorite search engine for "System maintenance" or use other relevent keywords to locate what your looking for. You could also go to your local electronics store and have a look at what they have on the shelve regarding system maintenance to help keep your machine purrring at peak performance.

Keeping your system and Software up to date:

No matter what Operating System you use, keep it up to date! Check with the Operating system manufacturers website frequently (at least weekly) for updates. Most software that you use will have easy update features built in as well, usually via the toolbar's Help>Update - Help>Support or you can just go there directly to locate updates and add-ons etc...

As far as the occasional pesky WebBug:

Keep browsing the PitStop Forums and read what others are using and listen to there success and horror stories, get and keep your favorite Anti-Virus program up to date then just add a little commen sense and you should be blazin in no time!

Just my two cents.

D

Guest Trusten

I've tried a buncha booster..optimizers....tweaks...only time I've ever noticed a difference was after I installed TCP Optimizer from Speed Guide.net. I have a roadrunner cable connect and went from 2300-2500kbps dl's to 3300-3600kbps. Not too shabby.

:rocks:

Hello to everyone that has replied to my original post....

THANK YOU

I have forgotten about this stupid PCBooster stuff...but, I did read a post here, one of you used a speed up program called TCPoptimizer from SpeedGuide.com....can anyone else tell me a bit about this one?? This one member thought it did her computer some good... I am curious about it.

Also...I re installed AdAware...the updated version...now I went to the web site unwantedlinks.com (I think that's what it's called) and they have a free checker for spyware...I used it and it found my computer has:

Toptext, Vx2, Flashtrack, SaveNow, Onflow.... I ran Adaware, it did find one nasty, but none of what I have listed here... I want to try Spybot...but alas, it is not there...error404...maybe they will be back soon? I think if Adaware didn't pick up on these things...either someone is full of crappola, or Adaware is not doing the job...

if I install Spybot...will it find these nasty things & get rid of them?

Guess I am once again crying for....HELP!!!!

Thanks all...I await replies with breath held.

I love this place!!!

http://www.foolishdreamfarm.com

Guest Trusten

The TCP Optimizer program is designed for Broadband and would not assist a dial up connection.

Actually Speed Guide claims TCP Optimizer will benefit dial up. It's worth a shot, right?

:mrgreen:

Hi guys,

Thank you for the posts...I appreciate knowing that booster program is for only broadband.

One of you keeps posting more RAM... I know...just had this thing upgraded from 64 to 128RAM...that's all it can have!!

Time for a new computer...but only in my dreams!!

I know...foolish dreams can come ture...not this one!!

Thanks again.

:) I stand corrected. Trusten is correct that TCP Optimizer does have settings for Dial up as well. I have never used them, but trust the utility. Besides, it has a restore feature that works a mint if you're not happy with it's end results.

Thanks, Trusten for pointing that out, keeps me on my toes! :mrgreen::nospys: