Connection Problems

Guest bronzwaig

Guest bronzwaig

When I start my computer I can browse the Internet without a problem. After a while I suddenly get the error "The page cannot be displayed" and I cannot go to any website or check E-mail. I restart my computer and I am able to browse again but just for some time. I can vary from 30 min. to a couple of hours. There is nothing that I can see that makes this happen.

Does anybody has any ideas on how to fix this? My OS is Windows ME.

Thank you

Guest thatguy

hello bronzwaig, this problem may not be one thing, i had a problem with my cable modem, noise in the cable line, had to rerun the cable from down stairs up to here, there was also noise on the line coming into the house so the cable company had to take care of that, it could also be that you have alot of folks on your node ( nieghborhood) when i first got a cable it was lightning fast but has since slowed down because more people got cable in my area, also if your using an ISP for browsing that will also slow it down(since you have cable you dont need an ISP, you can just use Interent Explorer), i had AOL when i first got cable and it slowed me down something fierce, since i have removed it my machine was much more stable, but the fact that more people have cable in my area does slow me down.

have you noticed that you may be browsing faster during the day then during the evening?

Bill :mrgreen:

i have to power cycle my modem every once in a while. i got tired of messing with it when it happened, so i just powercycle as a part of rebooting every morning.

i think i need a better one some times but oh well. stilll works

Guest Trusten

Try running winipcfg ...then release all and renew all. This has helped me after my speed was lagging. I run Winme and have a roadrunner cable connect.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jaguar

Hey i have the same problem it does my head in i get timed out and internet goes. if i unplug the modem and put back in everything is fine and i run win 2000 prof its since i had this motorola sb42000 modem its crap and gamespyarcade helpers say its terrible :angry:

Guest thatguy

did you buy your modem or rent it? maybe you could call your cable provider and swap it out with a different, i hate calling tech support so i understand if you dont want to.

Bill :mrgreen:

This really sounds like a poor signal issue. Do you get a config manager by going to http://192.168.100.1 ? If so, look around for signal levels and paste them here. If not, what modem and ISP do you have? There are other ways of getting signal levels unless the ISP has disabled public snmp