Change Mode

Medical/computer Questions

Z10N

Hey Chop maybe you can help me with this given your computer/electronic and medical knowledge. I now have a bone stimulator, it's an EBI Bone Healing System to be exact, I wear it on my stump about 10 hours a day. I notice that I carry a high amount of static charge after wearing the device and usually end up "discharging" on my wife's unsuspecting body for kicks and giggles. :shifty::)

The question is, are the electro-magnetic pulses strong enough to disrupt computer equipment that isn't shielded? I'd like to wear the device while working on the computer, but I'm afraid it might zap something and ruin some equipment, or have some kind of adverse effect on electronics.

Edited by Z10N

I have to admit I don't have any direct experience with that.

Since you are speaking of computers I would have to think it is potentially a bad thing to do. We all know that computers are sensitive to static.

The first rule is to always work grounded. In your case you would be working while knowing for certain you are generating static charges. If you have to do it then make darn sure you are well grounded.

I would avoid it for the sake of the hardware. Is it possible to shut it off briefly while you are "hands on"? If you are well grounded and it is off you should be fine. Actual hands on work isn't really that time consuming after all. I mean, how long does it take to mount a processor or put in a card? Probably the most time consuming thing is mounting a motherboard and even that only takes a minute or two. You don't have the typical dry winter air so much where you are. Right now here in Detroit you can't move around without popping and cracking with static.

Soooo..... My answer is:

1) Use a good ground strap

2) Turn it off if you can

3) If you have doubt about your charge status, call your wife over and try it out. I am sure she just loves you zapping her. :lol:

Well I'm talking more about "using" computers and I'm spending lots of time sitting and either playing PC games or working images in Photoshop, but I get the point. I'm just going to be cautious and not chance it, the EBI people didn't know for sure either. I've used it while watching TV or playing Xbox and such, but I'm much further away. Maybe I'll pick up a rubber Haz-Mat suit. :lol: Thanks.

Edited by Z10N

I wouldn't be concerned about using the PC at all. As far as static, there should be no problem as the machine should be grounded and most of what you are touching is plastc that does not conduct well.

As far as any EM fields generated you should be fine too.

If you look at a server room, sure the floor is grounded and the cabinets and racks are grounded, but the fact is the data is more valuable than the hardware and that is what is ultimately being protected.

In your case your images are the valuable thing. Even though you run some expensive hardware I feel certain your image files are much more valuable. In that case I would expect you have good backups.

The risk is extremely low. I really woudn't worry about it.

Cool, thanks, I sort of figured that would be the case.

Yep the image data is definately what's important/valuable, backing up to DVD's and defraging are daily (sometimes many times daily) tasks.

Edited by Z10N