Change Mode

Good link d12, another thing is that the hard drive is probably partitioned. When I first installed my 160 gig, it only had 120 gigs of space as well; the disk setup sent 40 gigs into La La Land. I had to use my Windows CD to delete the partitions and reset it as a single one to reclaim the space.

That entails reformatting and reinstalling Windows though. So you decide if the extra space is worth the hassle. Try that other stuff first though (what d12's link said to do).

Zero

I went to www.abit.com.tw and downloaded all the drivers that available to the motherboard. I did not disable any usb. I don't want to go the hassle of formatting the hard drive one more time. As I understand I only get to activate window xp two more times. Damn Microsoft. Forget the other 60gb. How to overclock cpu and video card? I hear about overclock all the time.

go to start and right click on my computer then click on manage, in there click on disk management and see what it has in there, when I installed windows in mine it did the same thing, I ended up just making the extra space up into another partition.

Edited by lethal93ta

actually, it's very simple:

Your BIOS could only detect up to 137GB, which is 127 in windows. You need to have installed the hard drive on an ATA controller card that breaks the 137GB barrier, and also use the floppy disk that came with your drive. If you didn't, install the ATA card (some WD drives come with it, or else you'll have to buy one, easiest way), then insert the floppy disk and format the drive. If you try formatting it in windows, you'll have tons of problems later unless you keep it the way it is (if any data goes past where the BIOS can naturally detect, then the data will probably get corrupted. after it's formatted, you can take out the ATA card).

richard is right too, you'll get around 186GB in windows after it's formatted properly.

and on that windows activation rumor its untrue, you may activate windows from the same computer as many times as you want

I'm sorry, but that is untrue. You do NOT have an unlimited amount of times of activation unless the XP cd came with the computer. If you bought it separately or it came with another computer then you WILL run out of times that you can activate it. I know this from firsthand experience.

Edit: Btw, Patrick, reformatting is the only way to reclaim the space. As I said in a previous post, I experienced the same thing and the only way to fix it is to reformat. If you are worried about using up your XP activation then just get a disk imaging backup utility like Norton Ghost.

Zero

Edited by zer-o.

I'm sorry, but that is untrue. You do NOT have an unlimited amount of times of activation unless the XP cd came with the computer. If you bought it separately or it came with another computer then you WILL run out of times that you can activate it. I know this from firsthand experience.

you sure about that? ive formatted about 20 times in the last 2 weeks messing around with my raid, and each time, i activated windows with no problems, naturally i had to call MS to do it, but that only takes about 2 minutes out of my day.. and those 20 times, dont incluse the other 100 times ive formatted in the last 2 years, with several differant computers.. and the same copy of windows..

MS asks you how many computers you currently have it installed on, and i only have it on the one im using.. as the rest were formatted, and sold.. or had windows 2kpro installed on them.. theyve never told me i couldnt activate it..

MS asks you how many computers you currently have it installed on, and i only have it on the one im using.. as the rest were formatted, and sold.. or had windows 2kpro installed on them.. theyve never told me i couldnt activate it..

I tried that, they told me to buy a new copy.

Zero

The activation rules are tiggered by hardware changes. If you installed and activated on certain hardware configuaration as long as you don't change more than I believe 4 pieces of hardware you can reinstall XP as many times as you like. If you make enough changes within 120 days then you will need to call MS to give them an explaination and get a new activation number. That is to keep people from buying 1 copy of XP and installing it on a number of computers.

There is only a problem if you change computers repeatedly and completely more often than 120 days. Personally I've installed XP on 4 different computers at different times and never on more than one at any time and never had an activation problem.

Unallocated space is unformated space thus not useable. To make the space useable format it. I believe XP has 137gb boundary thus anything over that amount will have to be made into another partition.

mouse, its not the OS but the bios (win98 fat 32 will go upto 2 terabytes). And maybe the automatic formating. If win can find the missing HDD space, he should be able to format it as a secondary partion. PS reinstalled XP 6 times in 6 weeks once (on same computer [messed up mobo] with no problems).

Edited by rja

just go into the computer management like I said before then right click on the extra space and you should see something in there to make a new partition, after you do that format it and you should be good to go, thats what I did the first time, then I got a new raptor and reinstalled windows again and formated my hole 200 GB drive and made 4 partitions out of it. Ive reinstalled XP 4 times in the past 3 weeks and no problems with it so far, this is my first computer I built and Im slowly learning so I keep on changing the way I have it set up.

Edited by lethal93ta

There is only a problem if you change computers repeatedly and completely more often than 120 days. Personally I've installed XP on 4 different computers at different times and never on more than one at any time and never had an activation problem.

I'm just telling you the facts from my own experience.

Zero