Sign in to follow this  
Dire Wolf

Why Are Children Under 13 Permitted To Post Here?

At the request of Volt, I am moving a discussion to this board.

You have a very active forum participant who states he is 10 years old. He seems to spend most of his waking hours in the forum. I am a concerned parent and adult.

There is a Federal Law dealing with children under 13 on internet sites.

Volt, one of your moderators, has admitted to having no regard to that law. The discussion and his comments can be found here.

As the administrators of the forum, what are your thoughts and intended actions?

At the request of Volt, I am moving a discussion to this board.

You have a very active forum participant who states he is 10 years old. He seems to spend most of his waking hours in the forum. I am a concerned parent and adult.

There is a Federal Law dealing with children under 13 on internet sites.

Volt, one of your moderators, has admitted to having no regard to that law. The discussion and his comments can be found here.

As the administrators of the forum, what are your thoughts and intended actions?

Have you read the law that you are posting the link to? It doesnt say that children under 13 are not allowed to post. It protects children from supplying websites/forums with personal information without the parents consent. As far as I remember, this forum was not asking any personal info in order to sign up. Also there are provisions to the rule.

Read the rule carefully.

As he has done already.

The bigger concern is the fact that this child is going unsupervised and spending a good majority of his time on an internet forum.

You may say it is not my place to question this. You may be right but I do happen to try to protect children when parental supervision is obviously lacking.

I was also taken back by Volts comments about having no concern over children posting here 24/7 as it was not his business.

As a moderator in what is claimed to be a moderated forum, it certainly is his business. Especially if there is a Federal Law telling him so.

I await Dave's response.

Edited by Dire Wolf

just some feedback i have 3 kids i`d rather have them doing something productive than something that isn`t really gonna help their future he is on a censored site being a productive member his parents must know as he does spend much of his time here i would encorage him to learn as much as he can and give him advise to him about the negative aspects of the internet thats just my opinion

Direwolf... I have more concern for you than the preceived child of 10. It doesn't take cridentials to get in here. Also a concerned parent is not necessairly an intelligent or good parent. Get a grip on yourself before you go sliding off the edge.

Thanks for the goofy members forum.. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Edited by shogan191

I don't think we are violating COPPA, which says in part:

If you operate a commercial Web site or an online service directed to children under 13 that collects personal information from children or if you operate a general audience Web site and have actual knowledge that you are collecting personal information from children, you must comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.

We don't ask for the age of any of our forum members. The only thing you have to give us is a user name and email address. People can add many other things to their profiles but as with all their forum postings the only thing we require is that it doesn't violate our basic rules (no profanity, etc.).

Personal information that people give out here may be correct, or maybe it's totally wrong. We don't know and generally don't care. For all we know, lillbill is a 30-year-old woman or Lola is 66 and looks like Margaret Thatcher. :blink:

If you see messages here that appear to be a minor being approached by an adult in an inappropriate way or being asked for inappropriate information, then report it using the link that's on every post.

I've seen LOLA and Don Coyotte is more accurate. Although I do love that woman of mine. :mrgreen:

LOL!! I was kinda hoping for a Maggie Thatcher look alike :mrgreen: v

For all we know, lillbill is a 30-year-old woman or Lola is 66 and looks like Margaret Thatcher.

I've seen LOLA and Don Coyotte is more accurate. Although I do love that woman of mine. :mrgreen:

SHOGIE -

Don Coyote? Don Quixote? Or Don Juan?

Please, GIRL!!!! Are you now comparing me to a "WILD DOG"?

Just because I wouldn't let you ***** me on the first date?

For all those reading this post --- "*****" --- this can mean anything!!!

Shogie ---

You are the only other one that has seen me here - JSUE, is the other!! Let's keep it in the "AIR", & let the imaginations roll on!!!

DON COYOTE --- Now I have ot perform a search on the name!! It better be cute - like me!!!

LOVE YOU -- LOLA :mrgreen:

I wasn't going to say anything :blushing: , but I'm a woman and need

to talk.

I agree with members when they say they would rather have their child

frequenting a "knowledge board (forum)" rather than a place of "filth".

This site is full of knowledgeable people who respond quickly to problems

one encounters using a pc. :(

I don't think our *lillguy* is only 10, but that is mearly from my observations

being an admin on another forum (2 years).

As I see it, this forum is just fine for kids (why would a kid want to hang out with adults? :P )

It's up to the parent and not the admin to control a child's use or abuse of

their personal pc.

I've seen LOLA and Don Coyotte is more accurate.  Although I do love that woman of mine.   :mrgreen:

This is what my search came up with on DON COYOTE:

Posted Image

You are right - It does kinda look like me, although need to lose the mustache!!

Edited by LOLA

Dire Wolf, the danger preminissed is with merit, however, this is a" family welcome site" and as such we will run into the occationnal "famiy" discords.

This is the PC Pitsto!

:cheers::tup: v

It's up to the parent and not the admin to control a child's use or abuse of

their personal pc.

Oh LOLA! :woot:

BTW: A moderator's job is to make sure that the forums run *smoothly* (as per the rules of the owner of the forums (and administrators assigned to and by the owner).

They can't disable another person's account. They CAN edit a reply by a

user (if it's inappropriate), delete it, or move it.

Oh LOLA! :woot:

BTW: A moderator's job is to make sure that the forums run *smoothly* (as per the rules of the owner of the forums (and administrators assigned to and by the owner).

They can't disable another person's account. They CAN edit a reply by a

user (if it's inappropriate), delete it, or move it.

I agree!!

Once again we have a newcomer, where the ink has not even dried on their membership card, who has no idea whatsoever as to the ethos of this community, being outspoken about something he obviously knows little about and interpreting law to suit his own agenda. Volt must be the most caring and concerned Moderator within our community and as you have no knowledge of him and his ideals, I strongly suggest that you retract all statements made against him and this site in general. We are a close knit community who welcomes new members with open arms and offer help support and friendship. To get a reaction like this towards a highly respected Moderator offends all of us. Whilst lilbill is here, he is probably amongst the one of the safest groups on the Internet asnd is influenced for the most part by sensible and caring people. As to his homelife that is not your business or anybody elses'who frequents these forums. Have we questioned whether you surf the Internet instead of working and providing for your family?..certainly not!..as it is not our business, either. I strongly suggest that you ask yourself, whether you are suited to our community or not. As I believe that with your present attitude you are not!.

Franglais : One of the safest groups on the internet ? Have you READ some of these threads ??? *S* Just kidding , I agree with you on that !

It truly IS up to his parents to moderate him not the moderators at PitStop's job ... They are not sitters for the people who come here (keepers maybe ... lol )

Judging from past threads, his parents don't mind him coming here, just get upset if he "fixes" their PC !!!

This site is not alone in having kids being with mainly adults - an example is POGO, there are kids there who are in rooms with only adults and seem to fit in fine ( seems that they kind of get taken under a wing or two ... )

OK, who thinks it is Ok for me to be here and who doesn't??? ad a matter of fact go to general look for a poll that says "should i be here?" vote there so we can end this immature something that dw calls and argument? How do you know i am not a 40 year old 500 pound guy??? DW how do we know you are not 10 also do you think we will take your word??? In the pit world i am older than you aren't I??? when did you sign up for the first time here DW???

OK, just wanted to say one thing though anyone ovr 11 and under 9 is not allowed to post here got it??? :P soooooo........ what can we turn this topic into??? we always manage too! :mrgreen:

ps. lola still waiting

ermmmmmm how about turning it into a topic based on the price of fish?? Hasnt been done for a while :mrgreen:

Keith