Change Mode

Cluster Size

plonkeroo

The tests said uncached file on my "D" drive (my second hard disc) was unusually low. I see from the disc health check that the cluster size on "D" was only 4KB not 8KB as on the "C" drive. Would I improve performance by increasing the cluster size on "D" to 8KB too? And how would I do that? I have DMA and "both IDE drives" switched on in Systems. (Win98SE)

Can anyone advise me, please?

Hi plonkeroo,

A link to your test results would be nice. :P

Not knowing the size of drive D, the following might be of use:

Win98 CLUSTER SIZE:

Hard disk size Cluster size

-------------------------------

512 MB to 8 GB 4 KB

8 GB to 16 GB 8 KB

16 GB to 32 GB 16 KB

32 GB and larger 32 KB

Hope this helps some. :)

This might help your uncached speed:

Some people were able to solve the problem by removing the disk controller in Device Manager and having Windows redetect it. To do this, go into Control Panel/ System/ Hardware tab/ Device Manager. Find the controller (It's usually going to be under "IDE ATA controllers" ) right click it and Uninstall. Then reboot.

Hawk :beer:

Hi plonkeroo,

A link to your test results would be nice. :P

Not knowing the size of drive D, the following might be of use:

Win98 CLUSTER SIZE:

Hard disk size Cluster size

-------------------------------

512 MB to 8 GB 4 KB

8 GB to 16 GB 8 KB

16 GB to 32 GB 16 KB

32 GB and larger 32 KB

Hope this helps some. :)

This might help your uncached speed:

Some people were able to solve the problem by removing the disk controller in Device Manager and having Windows redetect it. To do this, go into Control Panel/ System/ Hardware tab/ Device Manager. Find the controller (It's usually going to be under "IDE ATA controllers" ) right click it and Uninstall. Then reboot.

It seems to be

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=KZQA9W63KWUS1GF7

Thanks for the quick response!

:)

it's because the hard drive is old.

My dad has the same exact one in his computer, with windows XP and 32KB clusters. I believe that it gets around 6-7 MB/s (around 60%), and the other drive gets 21 MB/s (over 200%). with windows 98 SE, it got 4 MB/s, which is close to what you are getting.

the drive is 5200rpm with 256KB cache, which will make it a lot slower.

The "other" drive is 7200rpm with 2MB cache, which improves speeds a lot (but not as much as 8MB cache).

don't expect to get anywhere over 10 MB/s.

you might want to consider simply buying a new drive, you can buy a large one for cheap now (160GB for around $60 after rebates).

edit: here's a test

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=HL9K9WQ0MCRSYVF7

7 MB/s.

if possible, i'd recommend getting windows XP, since your computer is newer it will help a lot.

if you like 98 SE, then keep that though.

Edited by mariol90

Your D drive has only 47% free plus it is a slower drive so don't think you can improve uncached speed much. You could try clearing some more free space, but doubt if that will do much.

I think a new larger drive, partitioned, may be the way to go. I don't think you would need one over 40gigs or even smaller. Thus you would have one larger drive at 7200RPMs which I suspect will solve your uncached speed problem.

Regards,