Change Mode

Help With 56k

Guest Fenix

Guest Fenix

Hey all. I just did a test run on my comp, and here's the results.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?i...AHLWWEWKJ0SBGSB

The part that boggles me is the fact that my internet is only downloading at 37. I've tried everything Pit stop suggests, but to no avail. Oh and ignore the thing on disabled things, i tried disabling and all i got was this annoying icon in my bottom tray telling me it was disabled, and when i reinstalled and re ran test it popped up again.

If only terrorists like Saddam had an email, we could spam him to death....

Edited by Fenix

Really not sure what to tell you. You're on dial up...its a slow type of connection.

You could try a different dial up number

You could also contact your telco to test your phone lines for noise

Make sure that the phone cord coming out of your computer goes directly into the phone jack in the wall (no splitters or surge protectors) and make sure that its no longer than 10 ft.

There are also alot of settings you can tweak in your dialer...I would recommend you call your ISP for that.

Finally, you can try init strings for the modem...but since you didnt post what modem you have I cant help you with this part at this time.

;)

Guest blacknight

hi i am on the same 56k dile up i went to c|net download and got something call SPEED4WEB it has speeded up my connection give it a try

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't recommend any software like that. It doesn't make the connection faster. The only thing it can do is cache stuff on your system and fool the browser into thinking it is getting the most recent copy. That messes up a lot of sites, PC Pitstop included, that expect the user is seeing the most recent content they sent.

There isn't a lot you can do to make a dial-up connection faster. You can buy a new modem and see if that helps, they're pretty cheap nowadays. If you have a lot of phones connected, try unplugging them and see if the modem works better when it's the only thing on the line. If you have an old house that uses old style (red-green-yellow-black) phone wiring, you may get better speed if you rewire your house. (!)

Guest Fenix

lol an internet speed booster, those are hilarious.

Anyway thanks to the other two guys who posted. I'll have gto try some of this stuff out.

yea i sorta fell for that when i went to webroot(where i got windows washer) and downloaded something called "Accelerate"

It made my pcpitstop internet scores real low, had to do system restore to undo whatever it did :/

LOL@ Dave! I have the "yellow/black" wires connected to my phone. :P

I've been consistant with 52000bps ( have seen 53333 a few times, hehe) on dial up. I really think it has to do with your ISP.

This isn't "light'ning" fast, but it's better than some I've had at 21700 :blink:

ps.....I've only got 44 kbits/down, 60kbits/up and ping at 156

edit: had the up's and down's backwards

Edited by Jacee

Guest Trusten

I'm on cable. I recently tried TCP Optimizer by Speed Guide.net. I went from 2500 kbps to 3600kbps dl speeds. I know they have settings for dial up in that program too. I used to have a crappy dial up modem....only ever connected at 37000, got fed up and bought a U.S Robotics modem and almost always connected at 52000. Other than that you may want to look up init strings for your particular modem. To state the obvious: If at all possible consider a faster connection if available in your area. Cable, Adsl...anything beats dial up.

I've been consistant with 52000bps ( have seen 53333 a few times, hehe) on dial up. I really think it has to do with your ISP.

Not really. ISP's get alot of the blame because its easy to say that its their fault. However phone lines between your house and the phone company and the kind of modem you have play a much greater factor than the type of equipment your ISP has.

Some people run their own 'regular' un-shielded wire from the outside of their house to the inside without taking care to use a shielded phone line, hide the wires, etc....and then wonder why they cant connect and call up and blame the ISP :P:)