Windows Xpbootdisk.

Here's how to make a emergency boot floppy .

insert a blank floppy disk into drive A:, select Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt, type format a:, and press Enter. When asked if you want to format another disk, type n and press Enter. Type the following commands, pressing Enter after each one.

xcopy c:\boot.ini a: /h

xcopy c:\ntdetect.com a: /h

xcopy c:\ntldr a: /h

Now type exit and press Enter to close the window. Remove the floppy disk and label it "Windows XP boot floppy."

instructions for use.

Put this emergency disk in the floppy drive of your inoperable machine and boot up. Windows should run with no problems. You could simply keep the floppy in the drive all the time, but to truly fix the problem, launch the command prompt as described above, type xcopy a:*.* c:\ /h, and press Enter.

:mrgreen:

Ok, i cannot get this to work. . .

ive tried 2 things and niether of them worked:

(1) I went to command prompt and formated the floppy and then typed "xcopy c:\boot.ini a: /h

xcopy c:\ntdetect.com a: /h

xcopy c:\ntldr a: /h" then i closed window, put the floppy in my other PC but insted of working it says "Reboot and select proper boot divice or insert boot media in selected boot divice and press any key." why is it telling me this?

(2) Then I downloaded the "MS Windows XP System setup disk" at the bottom of this web page http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml and put it onto another floppy. then i put the new floppy into my PC but it tells me "Reboot and select proper boot divice or insert boot media in selected boot divice and press any key." same error as befor. witch leads me to beleave that there is a hardware problem instead of a software problem.

so. . . what do i do? any ideas? anything would help.

if you need more information just ask i'll be online for another hour or so.

Thanks in Advance.

:blushing: Sorry. Messed up the links. I'll have them up in a minute.

i can only find boot disks for 95/98 and ME.

Use the ME. ;)

Be right back with the XP boot floppy. (I hope!)

XP boot floppy

OK it works now. Download the file and unzip it to a floppy. Should have just the three files on the disk. No folder at all. This will fix a ntldr error, plus a couple of others. Set the computer to boot from the floppy, power down, stick the disk you just made in there and hit on. If it's going to work, it will take you to a screen where you select the XP install you wish to start up.

Good Luck.