Sign in to follow this  
KansasConnection

Question Before I Order

Getting ready to order new setup...would it be better to go with the socket 754 A64 3400+ with the 1 mb L2 cache, or the socket 939 A64 3200+ with 512 L2 cache? Machine will be used for gaming. Also which mobo for either socket would be the best?

socket 939 3200+ because it is the future of AMD, and will leave you more room for upgrades later.

also get the MSI K8N NEO 2 motherboard.. it is supposed to be a very good board

MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939. That be the one? Any thoughts on this board?(EPoX "EP-9NDA3+" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset )?

Edited by KansasConnection

i think the epox has fewer overclocking options than the MSI board does.

yes thats the MSI board to get :)

i have the socket 754 version, and love it

i just burned up 3 of them (K8N neo2) 2 at my house and one at the pc store cuz they didnt beleave me ...if you get this board dont use the nvidia utility from nvidia ....it seems to burn up something on the mother board ...ive checked around town and it seems like i got all they had ...ill be ordering some more to do farther testing ...im checking web sites now to see if their are other boards for the 939 socket ...just a warning from someone thats been there and done that (3 times now)

Yep it's the 3rd time i've heard of the MSI board bursting into flame. I love the Epox board myself.

Another board ill be testing is the GA-K8NSNXP-939 ...heard some good reports about it ...trying to find one in the small town (dallas) ...ill let you know how this one holds up to a TNT test. Oh btw the MSI is a nice board dont get me wrong.

(Hmmm ...whats this button do?)

sik l cell is using the K8N Neo 2 with his fx 55 running at like 3ghz.. ive seen a few others around here using them too.. i doubt theirs has caught on fire ..

the ASUS A8V Deluxe is good too i think.. i think shogan is using one with his fx 55 at like 3200mhz :mrgreen:

Don't get me wrong, i've seen bad batch of boards from lots of different manufacturers. I'm not dissing MSI.. just wish they didn't falsify their x.5 multipliers. Can't go into details about that (because of my work) but you can ask OneCool for the link.

sik l cell is using the K8N Neo 2 with his fx 55  running at like 3ghz.. ive seen a few others around here using them too..  i doubt theirs has caught on fire ..

the ASUS A8V Deluxe is good too i think..  i think shogan is using one with his fx 55 at like 3200mhz :mrgreen:

Yes I am. I havent had one problem with the board. I had the Gigabyte and it was an unstable mess. If there were bad ones I think they are all out of circulation now. Good luck. Edited by SIK_L_CELL

Yeah the Gigabyte board was a mess, memory problems abound. Seems they got themselves sorted with the nForce 4 board though

Don't get me wrong, i've seen bad batch of boards from lots of different manufacturers. I'm not dissing MSI.. just wish they didn't falsify their x.5 multipliers. Can't go into details about that (because of my work) but you can ask OneCool for the link.

now I'm curious.. what do you mean falsify their .5 multis? ive heard others say htat someting is wrong with the .5 multis too, i use my 11.5 multi more than other multi and it works good for me, ive ran benchmarks at 11.5 x 235 with no problems

i've had several MSI boards all the way back to the KT3V board and havent had any problems from them. im not a fanboy either :P i actually prefer abit, but here lately abit hasnt brought anything to the table worth messing with :lol:

now I'm curious.. what do you mean falsify their .5 multis? ive heard others say htat someting is wrong with the .5 multis too, i use my 11.5 multi more than other multi and it works good for me, ive ran benchmarks at 11.5 x 235 with no problems

i've had several MSI boards all the way back to the KT3V board and havent had any problems from them. im not a fanboy either :P i actually prefer abit, but here lately abit hasnt brought anything to the table worth messing with :lol:

Ask OneCool for the link, I can't provide it.