Change Mode

'silent' Cases

The mobo I'm about to buy appears to support 10 hard-drives so I thought I'd look for a case with plenty of internal 3.5" bays.

I'm looking for an alloy case, preferably black, with very, very quiet case fans. Any suggestions ? It's for a home audio studio.

I'd suggest the CM Stacker with extra hard drive cages.. If you bought two extra HDD cages then you could have 3 120 MM Fans in the front. These 120 MM fans are very quiet and very efficient. I believe you can have 9 HDDs with the 3 hard drive cages.

• 1 month later...

Ended up buying one of these;

Akasa Eclipse-62 Aluminum Case (CA-005-AK)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/cop...y_of_Akasa.html

Reasonable review here;

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/revie...mdXJsX3BhZ2U9Mg

Got some acoustic padding with it, two 12cm Akasa 1400rpm fans and a single 12cm fan 460w PSU ( 18dB)

lemme know how the case is. that was the case i was looking at, but bought my current one instead.

i might just buy it though 'cause i'm looking for another case. at first thought, a STEEL case is really cool 'cause it'll stand up to anything, but it also put s a damn sag in your floor 'cause it takes a winch to move it anywhere.

Well, here it is and I'm very pleased with it. However, the build quality is NOT as good as Beantech. It lacks Beantech's drive locking mechanism and Beantech's thumbscrews are larger, heavier and easier to use. Whereas Beantechs come with a substantial case manual the Akasa only has the usual one sheet of iffy diagrams and instructions. The fittings are all lumped together in one bag- no checklist- so I won't know if anything is missing until I start the assembly. The front spring-loaded door is long and it needs two hands to operate- pressure at the top and bottom simultaneously.

Unfortunately, Beantech don't do a 12cm fan case so that ruled them out ( I ain't going to start cutting holes in a new case ) but if they ever do I'd prefer them over Akasa.

Still, it's a very nice case and I can accept the quality compromise for the quietness and cooling potential. :)

thumb screws don't matter, you can get a whole bag for just a couple bux of any size you want.

a case manual?! um, if you need a manual to know how to screw the drives into your case....... and a check list for screws???? when was the last time you've ever used all the screws that come with the case? after 4 builds, i have a "snack bag" full of screws, bolts, and slides of unused. i've also never seen a case that comes w/ all the screws in different bags and such.

oh, if u want a lock on it, put one on. get a basic cupard lock for like a buk and drill 1/4-1/2 in hole and put it in.

how does it actually handle though?

Yes, the Beantech came with separate bags for each variety of screw- and there were several. Mobo standoffs, insulation washers, spare thumscrews, left and right hand bay screws, hex heads, HDD screws and cable ties- all illustrated , counted , present and correct, four pages of assembly instructions with clear photographs, USB and Firewire port connection details, the works. The nice man in the photos even has latex gloves on. ;)

I haven't gone much further than sit and stare at it yet, but the mobo tray glides smoothly and it's got cubes of space. :)