Change Mode

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got this 470W power supply http://www.pc-pitstop.com/power_supplies/eg475pve.asp

Here is a power supply calculator to determine what you need.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

It reccomends a 362W power supply for my AMD system.

Not laughing at you BetterDan...thats very funny :rofl3: (seen it before)

Sure, first of all you dont "need" a $149 PSU. I bet that 350watt Enermax will be just fine, but I would look at the OCZ 470. The psu is the powerplant of your system. all electronics and AMD64's especially for that matter run better and safer on CLEAN, STEADY power. OCZ is by far the best performance for the money I have found. And your system will be upgradable on a quality PSU. So if you use all quality components you can rest assured that you will spend more time enjoying your new rig than troubleshooting. Didnt mean to step on anyones toes, Just my 2 cents.

There ya go DragonLady...take it with a grain of salt :erm:

RAM: Tighter timings give better performance at the same speed... I'll take RAM running 275MHz @ 2.5-3-3-5 T1 over 200MHz @ 2-2-2-5 T1 any day. Not to mention that if your multi is locked at 11x your CPU is only gonna do 2200 instead of 2750. In either case, my G.Skills will do both at 2.65 VDimm and max out somewhere around 295 @ 3-4-4-8 T1. I don't know why everybody isn't using them. I've been posting all over these forums how well they perform.

PSU: The one I'm running on the A64 is a 420W out of a $50.00 RAIDMAX case that I thought would look better with the 500W Aspire PSU I origianlly bought for the A64's Aspire case. Works fine, rails are good, no power issues. edit: I wouldn't run the 350W POS that came with the Aspire case though...

CPU: I've mentioned it in another thread somewhere, but from what I've been reading the Winnys are all the same chip except for the multi, so if you can run your RAM at 290-300MHz, you can get a 2610-2700 speed out of your 3000 Winny by running it at the max 9x. Drop the RAM to a more realistic 275-280 and you'll get 2750-2800 (beyond what my 3500 is stable at) out of the 3200 at its' max 10x. 3000: 167.00, 3200: 203.00, 3500: 290.00

Wonder if I can RMA my 3500 back to ZZF for a 3000? and save 135.00? edit: Crap... only 15 days on CPUs... Took me that long just to get it to run decent...

-=Vran=-

Edited by Vranichou

im trying to find out if i can get some discounts off the evga site or any other video card site since i work at circuit city and stuff i get discounts off a buncha stuff like the xbox site i can get free games i get 50% discounts off the logitech site so i can get the mx1000 mouse for 40 bux heh and the z-5500 which is 400 retail for 200 :) which i will be ordering when i get payed on thursday it would rock if i can get a 50% discount off vid card :filtered: cuz if thats the case SLI here i come :) order 2 6800 Ultras for the price of 1 ultra muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa.

im trying to find out if i can get some discounts off the evga site or any other video card site since i work at circuit city and stuff i get discounts off a buncha stuff like the xbox site i can get free games i get 50% discounts off the logitech site so i can get the mx1000 mouse for 40 bux heh and the z-5500 which is 400 retail for 200 :) which i will be ordering when i get payed on thursday it would rock if i can get a 50% discount off vid card :filtered: cuz if thats the case SLI here i come :) order 2 6800 Ultras for the price of 1 ultra muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa.

trash :rolleyes::spam: Edited by OneCool

If you can afford it ..definatly the 6800 GT :tup:

i don't get it....you advise her to upgrade to the 6800 GT (if she can afford it).

....yet you seem dead set against her spending a little more $$ on a quality psu to power the new setup! :blink:

.....whats up with that??

I think at first, Onecool could be right that you should be fine but, I know your going to look to overclock the new system sooo..........

First, is noise an issue? Many of the PSUs you have listed are noisy, OCZ might be the king right now but it costs too much for what you get. I have always been happy with my Antec 550W, that is what I am using now, I tried the new Enermax that has dual 12v rails and as someone already said, it did not like the AMD 64 system. The Antec is quiet and has all the power I need and I'm running 4 HDDs, one TV capture card and a power hog 6800.

X_C

Nah, XC, I dunno why so many folks make such a big deal out of the noise. It never bothers me. My system right now kinda sounds like a jet taking off :P and it doesn't bother me a bit, even with 3 systems right here in the same room.

Well I just placed my order. I didn't get a new psu or ram yet....I'll wait and see if I need it first. This is what I ordered right now, can always order more parts later if needed.

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (socket 939, newcastle core)

MSI K8N Neo 2 Plat. mobo

nVidia 256mb 6800 Ultra (decided to go with the Ultra Sho, just cuz I could ;) )

Was checkin with my supplier on his prices for vapo's too (just in case ya know).

Now if it would just get here... :P Yeah I know I just ordered it, but I want it NOW!! (That's the female impatience kickin in you see there.) :woot:

Why didn't you just get a 3500+ 90nm???

It's just a 3800+ underclocked 200Mhz, but it's much cheaper.

yeah, and with all that extra cash you could have gotten yourself a really nice, quality power supply!

....and still had some $$ left! :P

Why didn't you just get a 3500+ 90nm???

It's just a 3800+ underclocked 200Mhz, but it's much cheaper.

Unless they came out with a 3800 Winny in the last 2 days the 3500 Winny is NOT the 3800 underclocked. They are 2 different chips! Geez! :bang:

Amps are more important than watts for your 64. If you are considering OC'ing and a Vapo get a quality PSU. Its kind like putting 87 octane in a Viper. Good luck.

How can Watts be unimportant and Amps important? Can't have 1 without the other! W=VxA. Geez! :bang:

My 3500+ is maxed out at 2700 MHz and heat is NOT an issue. It won't go any faster. I can add another .2V and it will not overclock any more, I can add another 25 MHz to the FSB and it will not go any faster. I can change the multi to 11x and it will not go any faster. Doesn't anybody read my posts? Geez! :bang:

Too much misinformation!

-=Vran=-

Unless they came out with a 3800 Winny in the last 2 days the 3500 Winny is NOT the 3800 underclocked. They are 2 different chips! Geez! :bang:

How can Watts be unimportant and Amps important? Can't have 1 without the other! W=VxA. Geez! :bang:

My 3500+ is maxed out at 2700 MHz and heat is NOT an issue. It won't go any faster. I can add another .2V and it will not overclock any more, I can add another 25 MHz to the FSB and it will not go any faster. I can change the multi to 11x and it will not go any faster. Doesn't anybody read my posts? Geez! :bang:

Too much misinformation!

-=Vran=-

Well, except for die size & codename, they're the exact same thing.

Well, except for die size & codename, they're the exact same thing.

THe only thing they have in common is the AMD Athlon 64 name and they both contain silicon. What? Did IQ's suddenly drop 50 point around here?

-=Vran=-