Change Mode

Ok guys, I've seen enough numbers floating around here to know it's time for me to jump ship. I love my P4, but I'm seriously thinking about building a new AMD 64 rig. (Especially since hubby and I have a wholesaler's license and found a new supplier that can get us the parts for VERY cheap ;) )

This is what I'm seriously thinking about getting .....

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (newcastle core)

Msi K8n Neo2 Platinum mobo

What I want to know is how do they stack up to my P4? How much of a performance difference will I see? I'm thinkin with the recent benchies I've been eyeballing, it should definitely be noticable.

Especially if I throw in a new video card as well....the nVidia 6600.

So what d'ya think? Give me some opinions.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really wouldn't do much unless you're into some hardcore, I mean hardcore applications and games. And with such a weak video card it wouldn't increase performance much, your P4 can still handle something like a 6600.

Well I was also contemplating the 9800pro. I can get the nvidia 6800 for a fairly decent price (compared to what they sell retail) but not sure I need that much video power.

I'm also wanting the 64 bit amd so I can overclock it.

Edited by DragunLadee

6600GT > 9800 Pro. Still, if you're doing this just for the sake of benchmarks, by all means go for it, the athlon will destroy the p4 in benchmarks.

But if not, stick with what you have, your P4 won't hold back any video card unless you start going towards the higher end ones like the 6800GT.

Well, it sure looks like it's going to be an AMD world for a while. The mobo looks good. I'm not up on my AMD nomenclature vis-a-vis newcastle or winchester, but isn't one of those a 90nm process chip and the other is a 130? I would go with the 90nm, just because that's the future.

The AMD unit you spec'ed should score significantly higher on the benchies than the 3.0, but I'm not sure you'll see any dramatic improvement in the daily computer tasks. If you do much video editing or encoding, you may actually experience a degree of performance loss. But if you play any games... :mrgreen:

The 1066FSB stuff hitting the market now is enough to keep me on the S.S. Inhell a while longer, but my brand loyalty is to Speed, I don't care whose name is on it. ;)

I'm also wanting the 64 bit amd so I can overclock it.

From what I'm seeing here, P4's are significantly easier to overclock the the A64's.

They also an achieve a higher percentage of overclock. Unfortunately, P4's need to be overclocked just to achieve what the high-end AMD's are scoring at stock!! :woot:

Well, it sure looks like it's going to be an AMD world for a while. The mobo looks good. I'm not up on my AMD nomenclature vis-a-vis newcastle or winchester, but isn't one of those a 90nm process chip and the other is a 130? I would go with the 90nm, just because that's the future.

The AMD unit you spec'ed should score significantly higher on the benchies than the 3.0, but I'm not sure you'll see any dramatic improvement in the daily computer tasks. If you do much video editing or encoding, you may actually experience a degree of performance loss. But if you play any games... :mrgreen:

The 1066FSB stuff hitting the market now is enough to keep me on the S.S. Inhell a while longer, but my brand loyalty is to Speed, I don't care whose name is on it. ;)

Yeah, and an 800FSB 3.6Ghz P4 550 is outscoring the 3.46Ghz P4 EE 1066FSB in almost every benchmark, except for Linpack, since it performs best with the 2mb L3 cache.

I just got a new computer with...

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (newcastle core)

Msi K8n Neo2 Platinum mobo

2x256 mb PC 3200 (will be upgrading with 2 more 512mb dual channel HyperX memory sticks :) for a total of 1.5gb.

Geforce 6800GT

SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card

8x double layer dvd burner

Does anyone know that if the first 2 slots have slower ram running in dual channel and then I put in the other 2 slots some quick Hyper X memory in dual channel will all the memory run as slow as the first set?

Here's a pic of my new computer.

Posted Image

Yea yea I know it's a Compaq but they really have turned over a new leaf and are making gaming computers with parts off the shelf like Alienware.

Edited by betterdan

DL that would be an excellent system. You will see quite an improvement in benchmarks. If at all possible try to get the 6800GT. I know it's quite a bit more but maybe you're whsle situation will make it doable. I liked my GT almost more than my Ultra. Doesn't matter though as you will still see quite an improvement in cpu and memory scores.

Looks like a great system.

DL that would be an excellent system. You will see quite an improvement in benchmarks. If at all possible try to get the 6800GT. I know it's quite a bit more but maybe you're whsle situation will make it doable. I liked my GT almost more than my Ultra. Doesn't matter though as you will still see quite an improvement in cpu and memory scores.

Looks like a great system.

Thanks Sho. Hubby and I were just sitting here discussing the possibility of getting a 6800 for each of our systems. So you think the GT is better than the Ultra? B'cuz I can get the GT for a pretty damn good price. :P

I don't think it's better but it's so darn close that to me it wasn't worth the upgrade. When you add to that the difference between the two when overclocked it was even closer. I just liked the way the GT handled. It was more responsive to changes in memory and core clock. Maybe I just had an excellent GT and an average Ultra. Anyway I had such a good experience with the GT that I would recommend it to anyone.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm very intersted in this info as well. Being a heavy gamer myself, I would like to know if there are any benchmarks between the P4 and AMD in gaming? i.e. Half Life benchies in framerates and such.

I agree with the statements in everyday computer usage, that you will probably not notice much difference. That's where you want fast hdd's, RAID, etc. If I run my CPU at stock 2400 Mhz versus normal O/C of 3.0ish, I do not see any difference in MS Office applications. However, with the addition of RAID and the 10K Raptors, I saw a huge increase in performance over standard setup.

Good luck D/L, let us know which way you are going and when you get your system. :woot:

Well everyone might call me a fanboy for saying but its only because it is true.

Going from a p4 3.0 to that setup you are showing....you will notice EVERYTHING will be faster...boot times,navigating thru windows,opening programs etc etc

If you can afford it ..definatly the 6800 GT :tup:

What kind of memory are you putting in it?

From what I've been reading, the 3000, 3200 and 3500 WInys are the same core, except for the mutli. So. If you get really fast RAM that can operate at 275-290, then you can save the money on the more expensive chip (3500) and go with a 9 or 10 multi and see the same performance.

-=Vran=-

, by all means go for it, the athlon will destroy the p4 in benchmarks.

........ just currious what benches you are reffering to ;) ..... the PIT :blink: ......... anyway i do think the new suggested sytem will definately be an upgrade to what she currently has but .. please enlighten me as to what benches

a straight CPU bench ... yes : the ATH64 will stomp a P4

a total system bench with all other hardware being comparable : too close to say DESTROY ....... IMO

Edited by flewpastu

What kind of memory are you putting in it?

I know I'm asking for it here, but what kind of memory SHOULD I put in it guys??

I'm still not precisely clear on this whole "loosen it up or tighten it up" stuff. So help me out, huh? :blink:

Tighter timings result in higher memory scores.. while loosening your timings allows you to overclock the RAM higher..

I'd also like to ponit out that I regret some things switching to A64, but I do like the benchmark numbers.. :lol:

........ just currious what benches you are reffering to ;) ..... the PIT :blink: ......... anyway i do think the new suggested sytem will definately be an upgrade to what she currently has but .. please enlighten me as to what benches

a straight CPU bench ... yes : the ATH64 will stomp a P4

a total system bench with all other hardware being comparable : too close to say DESTROY ....... IMO

Yep I'm talking straight CPU/memory scores. And I don't remember who said it, but is an expensive upgrade worth the extra 1/10th of a second taken off of the time it takes to open something up in Windows? :lol:

Yeah I've been looking at all the pc4000 stuff.  I'm having a tough time deciding between the Ballistix, Crucial XMS, Kingston HyperX, and the OCZ.

The Ballistix worked pretty good. But now I am using OCZ4200el Platinum and I love it. I run it 275x11 2.5.3.3.7 all day. I wouldnt use the Corsair with the AMD 64 rigs. Edited by SIK_L_CELL

I have had a chance to use all the RAM you list D/L and I have found the HyperX very lacking, corsair are hit and miss.

But, as far as the Balistix and OCZ, toss a coin, except, you could get better OCZ than 8-3-3-3.

X_C