A bunch of friends and I went out last night and watched it...I would have seen something else, but this was the consensus...

While I watched I counted the inappropriate themes...at least 13 notacable, and several others that were bordering.

From hidden cuss words (jack...), and obvious ones (da....), to bars, sex, or at least lust, and all sorts of stuff. It was absolutely sickening..I hate where these shows and movies are going...Disney, Nick, it's insane.

If I had kids, I wouldn't let them see this movie, and I'd be skeptical about any other 'kid' movies. This has been going on forever, and just gets worse and worse.

Edit: http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/...pantsmovie.html

About halfway down that page it starts to explain all the inappropriate scenes.

Edited by bacterozoid
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd definately advise against it. That link pretty much highlights all of what you'll see and hear in it that's inappropriate.

Of course, your daughter and other children might not get the crude humor, but seeing and hearing it can still be harmful.

Of course, I'm not anyone's parent, so people can do as they wish.

I took my two year old to see it. I wasn't offended and neither was he. The series is funnier, though. The way I figure it, its really aimed at the under six crowd, which means the parents will be there with them. Why not throw in a little adult humor to keep us from falling asleep?

There is nudity throughout the movie. We view Patrick's bare buttocks during three scenes, and SpongeBob's once. At one point, Patrick surprises SpongeBob at a community gathering by swinging over the crowd, naked, holding a sign between his buttocks which bears a message to his friend. SpongeBob and Patrick are also shown in their underwear a few times. The underwear is drawn to look like men's fitted briefs.

These characters are not real, and are not even human, so many may choose to gloss over the animated nude scenes, though it sends a wrong message to children that it's okay to pull down one's pants for a laugh.

Oh my!! I saw a cartoon charactures buttocks today. Oh pleeeeeeease. :rolleyes:

Thats not a review, it is somone who needs to get their head examined. :lol:

In my mind, things like that are inappropriate...not so much the naked starfish...that's not the worst.

But for instance when Patrick asks if the mermaid wants to see his underwear...its wrong. You wouldn't want your kid acting like that I hope. Most people don't seem to mind anymore, but what I believe says to mind this stuff. Cartoons used to be clean...a long time ago.

Thanks for the heads up! What is considered 'entertainment' today is sadly lacking, and I am pleased that my now grown up children were never exposed to this kind of thing. In those good old days, all they had to contend with was 'Animal House' and 'The Life of Brian'. Halcyon days indeed.

"...SpongeBob isn't so severe that it can be callously lumped in with all those slimy “adult animations” seen on Comedy Central. But it does borrow some of their ideals.... It revels in adult-minded asides that fly right over kids’ heads and straight into the disbelieving stares of parents..."

--Marcus Yoars, Focus on the Family

That's kinda the point, isn't it? Some "asides" that are over the kids' heads (meaning they don't understand) to entertain the rest of us stuck watching such a silly movie don't bother me. I appreciate it.

In my mind, things like that are inappropriate...not so much the naked starfish...that's not the worst.

But for instance when Patrick asks if the mermaid wants to see his underwear...its wrong. You wouldn't want your kid acting like that I hope. Most people don't seem to mind anymore, but what I believe says to mind this stuff. Cartoons used to be clean...a long time ago.

Its wrong if you automatically assume a sexual innuendo. Doesn't have to be that way. My kid is very proud of his cool new underware, instead of a diaper. And rightly so. Why can't Patrick be proud of his? If you already have the answers made up, its easy to ask the questions that get to them.

It's leaning a little more towards the style of the old Nick cartoons that they can no longer get away with showing. The same shows that I watched when I was a kid like Ren and Stimpy and Rocko. I loved those shows, and as a child, I never found them offensive, just funny and entertaining. I personally believe that the review given on the christiananswers site was kinda funny. We've all seen butt cheeks, so what? They didn't show anything else that would suggest something sexual, just butt cheeks. This is the humor I grew up with, and I'd be more than happy to let my kids experience the same thing! :mrgreen:

Edited by Jakeofalltrades

I'd hate to see this guy review the old warner bros cartoons. :rolleyes:

Roadrunner and coyote, porky pig and bugs bunny, Pepe Lepew and his sexual advances on the cat......... The liitle martian who tries to evaporate daffy duck, bombs, guns, hitting, squashing, killing, maming, cars running over ..................

Can't say I ever went to school and tried to throw anyones dog over a cliff, never tried to blow up the neighbors bird, never electracuted anyone or anything, never put explosives in anyones food/cake........... :rofl3:

Tell the reviewer it's time to grow up, no make that it's time have a little fun and enjoy comedy for what it is, funny stuff.

Sponges are full of holes and cracks, just because one didn't have clothes on it. OMG the world, what is it turning into. :P

I won't even bring up the three stooges, Abbot and Costello and slapstick comedy we grew up with 30 and 40 years ago.

What cave did this guy just emerge from?

Edited by Bruce

Its wrong if you automatically assume a sexual innuendo.

Except for the fact that it is. The underwear, no, but the stockings at the end, the "Do you want to see my underwear" quote.

I don't see how that can float any other way.

Growing up is exposure, plain and simple. The basis of maturity is your level of exposure to the world.

And its the parents job to teach right from wrong, not Nickelodeon's. Trying to shield your child from anything and everything that you think is wrong is not parenting, its trying to avoid the job af parenting. Laziness. Let's create a perfect little world for them to grow up in where nothing bad ever happens and nobody does anything wrong. That way our kids will be good by default, so we don't have to teach them.

Oh come on now bobbymokie, mommy and daddy buy those expensive babby sitters called televisions and they want them to behave properly while they are sitting with the little ones. :P

I'd hate to see this guy review the old warner bros cartoons. :rolleyes:

Roadrunner and coyote, porky pig and bugs bunny, Pepe Lepew and his sexual advances on the cat......... The liitle martian who tries to evaporate daffy duck, bombs, guns, hitting, squashing, killing, maming, cars running over ..................

Can't say I ever went to school and tried to throw anyones dog over a cliff, never tried to blow up the neighbors bird, never electracuted anyone or anything, never put explosives in anyones food/cake........... :rofl3:

Tell the reviewer it's time to grow up, no make that it's time have a little fun and enjoy comedy for what it is, funny stuff.

Sponges are full of holes and cracks, just because one didn't have clothes on it. OMG the world, what is it turning into. :P

I won't even bring up the three stooges, Abbot and Costello and slapstick comedy we grew up with 30 and 40 years ago.

What cave did this guy just emerge from?

Don't even get me started on Elmer Fudd! :o Seriously though, I've seen many of the old Looney Toons, and they never encouraged me to stick dynamite in someone's ears or shove a sotgun down someone's throat. People are too sensitive in this day and age.

:lol:

Bac, kids do not understand these "hidden" jokes (6 and under), and if they do, they have been exposed to things already... I do not like it when people want to hind their children from the most stupid things.

Oh, and I don't want to start a fight, or anything... just my opinion.

Edited by Bill L

Nobody wants to start a fight here, don't worry. But I've said before that even though they don't get the jokes, they are exposed. Yes, they are all the time, but the goal is not to simply not care, but to try to protect kids from all that we can...or at least that's mine.

Hope all the bats in his cave were wearing proper butt crack coverings. I'd hate to see the poor guy get all lusty and stuff. :P

:rofl3::roller::funny:

I've got nothin' against you Bacterozoid, and I respect your views, but I'm far from morally depraved, and I know good and well what's right and what's wrong. I really see no problem with the SpongeBob movie, and I don't see any problems it can cause. We all know what butt cheeks are, it's really not a big deal!

Edited by Jakeofalltrades