Pepsi On Laptop Keyboard

Help! I splashed just a few drops of Pepsi on my Dell laptop keyboard. I finally got to this site after struggling with multiple repeats of mouse clicks and keyboard keys. I plugged in my spare old keyboard so that I am touching the laptop as little as possible. Right click won't work. It takes several reboots before the computer stops beeping and settles down and gets to windows properly. When I clicked on my browser it opened 38 of them before I could do anything!

Anyway, while things are kind of working at the moment long enough for me to type this, how can I clean up my laptop from those few drops of Pepsi which apparently found themselves messing up important connections? Can I open it up safely myself to clean? Should I only take it to a reputable repair company? Might it dry up and start working all or most of the time in a few days? It happened 3 hours ago.

When I clicked on my browser it opened 38 of them before I could do anything!

:lol: You counted them all?

Anyways...I don't know that having the laptop on would be the best thing for it, but it seems the damage is done. I'm no laptop expert...there are all sorts of variations with the keyboards...but you could have shorted something out. I don't know that time will fix it.

If you still have your laptop under warranty, and that's covered, that's the first place I'd go. I wouldn't even try to open the thing up to fix it...because even if you are able to access the area that's been spilled on, you probably can't do much, and unless you're good with all those small parts, you might not be able to get it back together.

Unless someone here has another idea, you might be in the place to contact a technician.

You counted them all?

The task bar filled up and then at its prescribed maximum it went back to one icon and showed how many windows were under it. 38 to be exact. :)

Temporarily it "ain't broke" while using the spare keyboard. So I won't reboot or do anything important until I see if it going to calm down. Hey, even the right click is working at the moment! Fingers crossed that wires will remain uncrossed.

Upside down? Not such a silly idea really, if I had thought of it immediately. But it worked fine for 5 minutes before things started to beep. By then it was probably too late.

Real keyboard is still missing many letters but the spare one is typing ok.

the pad will need to be cleaned or replaced, send er back in a box and have your plastic ready, also stay away from those local retailers as they will scam you. just send it to the manufaturer for repairs.

btw i dont have nothing against the local pc stores because most of them are honest people ¬_¬

Oh, and one other note.....Lappy+Pepsi :mrsgreen:

:P

Actually, most standard keyboards are fine with liquids, as they are a plastic 'sandwich'....you can even wash them under a tap, I've done it. The problem with laptops is that there is usually a few holes going thru to the workings, and this is where your problem lies. If it's not warrantied, you might want to see if the k/b is removable, and see where the Pepsi went. Then you 'might' be able to clean it off and have no problems. If it's warrantied, don't risk it, just send it in.

Scorp.

The unfortunate thing about a soda spill is, unlike spilled water, soda dries up and leaves a sticky residue behind. I've lost a keyboard due to Pepsi spilling in it, and I think the Pepsi company is is doing this intentionally to crush the big keyboard manufacturers so that they can start their own line of Pepsi brand spill proof keyboards! :lol: Anyway, all I can say is if the keys can be removed individually, take the battery out of your Laptop and use a damp cloth to clean underneath the keys. Make sure you flip it upside down and let it sit for about two hours before putting the battery back in. Hope this helps.

-Jake Posted Image

My daughter pulled this number on me a few months ago. The affected keys will stick forever. They charge a small fortune to clean these laptop keyboards but I found the way to clean them.

The keys are snapped onto small wires that connect to groves on the underside of the keys. They will pop off if you stick your fingernail just slightly under the front(top) or Bottom (back) of the key and apply very slight upword pressure. You can remove the keys in the affected area. Then get some Q-tips and a small container of warm water. Lightly wet the end of the QT and gently clean the area where the key sits. If there are any drops of soda, remove them first with a dry QT, then clean the area gently, but thoroughly with the wet QT so that you at least dilute the sticky soda with water. Then gently dry the area with a dry QT. Clean all the keys completely. Then to reinstall the keys, put them straight down on top of the wire that they belong with the wires lined up as best as possible in the groves on the underside of the key. Push straight down gently until they snap in place. If you need to you can twist them a tiny bit if you need to for alignment. Do not push to hard because you could bend one of the wires.

Take your time, mine took 3-4 hours but worked great after that. Most keys pop off like this on most key boards.

Make sure that you unplug the laptop and remove the battery first as a precaution so you have no chance of shorting the thing out.

Good luck and keep the soda away from the keyboard from now on. :)

I guess that's the good thing about desktop keyboards... mine has been through a lot of punishment and still works like a champ.. all kinds of things dropped in there... beer, water, food items, cigarette ashes.. oh well. I personally wouldn't take apart a laptop if it's under warranty but I definitely think the q-tip idea is a good one if all else fails.

It stopped being under warranty 18 months ago, and probably wasn't covered for liquid spills anyway. I once took off a key which was sticking, and couldn't get it back on again and couldn't find anyone who knew how to do it either. That key is lost now.

The troubling thing is that some of the keys not working are nowhere near the right edge of the keyboard where the few drops splashed. Probably an important connection is sticky. Thanks for the Q-tip advice - I'll keep it in mind. I'll keep using the computer as long as possible while it is still kind of working, without rebooting. I make money using it, so sending it off to Dell with the time involved would cost me more than a local technician even if he scams a bit. I might be better off buying a low end desktop.

don't know if the dells have easily removable KBDs is so & you can reinstal the ribbon cable take it out then stt if there is a shield under it (rf but usually solid metal then findout from dell if they will sell you a new KBD if not you might just want to leave it off (or use the standard cleanning procedures) and just use the out board KBD.