Sign in to follow this  
smileyeh

Ccleaner

I just installed CCleaner, and I'm very happy with it, but I ran the Issues Scan and found all kinds of stuff:

Missing shared dll

Invalid file extension

Open with application issue

Invalid default icon

ActiveX/COM issue

Application paths issue

Help file issue

Uninstaller reference issue

Installer reference issue

Obsolete software key

Are any of these safe to get rid of, and if so, how do I tell which ones? I know nothing about registry stuff at all, and I don't want to mess up my computer. I have Win98se.

hei smileyeh,

in ccleaner there's an backup option before you can delete/fix the issues.

use that and you are save. ( you'll get some message about being leftovers after installations/uninstallations )

I just fix the issues and have a backup, if anything goes wrong.

:beer: gaggen

Hi smileyeh,

I ran CC for awhile & it can & will mess up some things in your puter, if you aren't careful.

gaggen is quite correct. There is the option of making a backup in the event you mess up. However, in my case, chkdsk would start (Win XP) before I had the chance to restore the backup.

If you don't have CleanUp!, it is a much safer & IMO, better disk cleaner. I have used it for a long time without a problem.

If you d/l, in options, make sure the indicator is on Standard Cleanup, then run. Oh, turn your speakers on. :P

Hawk :beer:

I have experienced problems when using CCleaner to correct problems its finds with file associations. So I skip over that now when using it.

The best way I found for doing the registry issues was to check ONLY ONE of the items at a time when checking for issues and then saving the items to be changed to a REG file which I named with that item title. Thus it is far far easier to figure out which one caused the registry problems by restoring them one at a time.

So in the backup folder (which I name using the current date) I have files called:

MissingSharedDLLs.REG

ActiveXClass.REG

Applications.REG

Fonts.REG

etc....

Edited by oftentired

Thanks, Hawk. I've been hoping somebody with experience with both CCleaner and CleanUp! would answer. I've used CleanUp! for a long time, but CCleaner apparently didn't need a restart after every use. I know about the flush, but somehow mine disappeared. Reinstall did nothing to change that. Oh, well.

You're welcome smileyeh.

BTW, you don't have to click on Log Off each time you run CleanUp!. :P

It will get those few when you shut you computer off & turn it on the next time.

Just thought I would mention that.

Regards,

Do you mean I can opt to not restart my computer after running CleanUp!, and the files that would have been cleaned out will be cleaned out on the next restart?

---------------------------

CleanUp!

CleanUp! finished. To get rid of those one or two files which were in use, you'll need to logoff and log back in.

Do you wish to logoff now?

yes no

This will be the message/option after using cleanup: gaggen

Edited by gaggen

Yup....that is correct smileyeh. :mrgreen:

When the Do you wish to log off now? come up, just click on NO & then close.

BTW, thanks for you post gaggen.

Regards,

I have CleanUp! 3.1.2 and it doesn't say that. It just asks if I want to restart Windows to get rid of those last few files that were in use, and there's a "yes" and "no" button. But I guess the main thing is that I don't have to restart right away, I can wait until later if I want.

I've also been playing with things, and I found that if I run CCleaner first, then CleanUp!, CleanUp! doesn't find anything else, but if I reverse that, CCleaner comes up with other stuff. So I just use them both.

Edited by smileyeh

Simply put though, if you really want those files gone and your computer fixed isn't it worth it to go through a restart?

I've also been playing with things, and I found that if I run CCleaner first, then CleanUp!, CleanUp! doesn't find anything else, but if I reverse that, CCleaner comes up with other stuff. So I just use them both.

Yup......whatever works. :mrgreen:

It takes some time to restart Win98. Rather than do that, if I'm shutting down the computer when I'm done anyway, and then restarting it when I come back to it, isn't that the same thing as a restart after deleting files?

It takes some time to restart Win98. Rather than do that, if I'm shutting down the computer when I'm done anyway, and then restarting it when I come back to it, isn't that the same thing as a restart after deleting files?

smileyeh,

yes, its the same.

gaggen

Simply put though, if you really want those files gone and your computer fixed isn't it worth it to go through a restart?

Nope....not when you don't have to & you don't have to. :P

I occasionally use Clean up, but not often; it's sort of the RotoRooter of cleanup utilities. It clears out a LOT of stuff. Unfortunately, it also dumps all my cookies, even though I ask it not to (WinME). It's a pain, having to rebuild all my subscription, e-mail, and forum sign-ons.

Actually, the thing is SO powerful that it scares me; sort of like having a pit bull in a two-room apartment....

But it DID find almost a gig that I didn't know I had....

It's a pain, having to rebuild all my subscription, e-mail, and forum sign-ons.

Don't follow Poru. :mrsgreen:

I use it a half dozen time a day. I use auto logon to log in to sites, don't need cookies & I have about a zillion links in my favorites.

If fact, I Never use the address bar.

Do you have CleanUp! set up right in options. The indicator should be on Standard Cleanup. You can uncheck the cookie option.

:huh: isnt auto logon a bad thing to use? If someone hacks or attaches themselves to your PC they have all your passwors and such right there. I use neither..autolog or cookies,memory and a pen and paper. Trust noone. I just have heard and seen to many security issues and haveing all my info on my machine just dosent appeal to me. If they want to steal, make it a chalenge dont just leave the door open with a welcome :huh:

:huh: isnt auto logon a bad thing to use?

Nope...not in the least. :P

Been using it for ages.

If you are protective of your passwords, which you should be, I would suggest you look at Password Corral.

It's a pain, having to rebuild all my subscription, e-mail, and forum sign-ons.

If you have Auto Complete enabled in Internet Explorer (Internet Options, Content tab), and use the default Standard Cleanup as Hawk suggested, you should have no problem with your browser saving and keeping passwords. It's true that Cleanup! clears out all cookies, but with Auto Complete enabled, all you should have to do is doubleclick at the login field and your password should pop right in there (unless it's a secured site, and it normally wouldn't save your password there anyway).

Regarding Newsgroup Subscriptions, you can opt out of that in Options. It shouldn't even touch your emails, at least it never has mine.

With Standard Cleanup selected and Newsgroup Subscriptions unchecked, you shouldn't have any problems with Cleanup. -kd5-

I think the new version of CleanUp (still in beta) will allow you to specify which cookies you want to keep. But for now, CCleaner does that very well, so I have CleanUp clean everything but cookies, favorites list and reset game scores. I never use Auto Complete - too paranoid for that. I use CleanUp and CCleaner several times a day, but don't bother with the stuff fixed by a restart until I'm ready to shut things down anyway. It's pretty small.

But here's another question - do they clean out the files made to help optimize the Windows defrag?

Edited by smileyeh

I don't use Windows defrag smileyeh. ;)

I use DisKeeper Lite which is a freeware defragger & IMHO, much better than Windows.

Using both CleanUp! and DisKeeper Lite, I have had NO problems.

I run XP Home.

Regards,

Hmmm...Well, you guys know what you're talking about. I'll give CleanUp! another try. No question, it DOES sweep out a lot of junk.

By the way, Hawk is right abour diskeeper lite. My Windows defrag would amble along, restarting about 4 times (even in safe mode) for about 45 minutes or so.

Diskeeper goes zip, zop, five minutes tops .

Edited by poru

Yeah, Hawk, I believe you may have mentioned that somewhere else before. :P I started using the Windows defrag to see if it would speed up my computer a bit, because it seemed that the more I used Diskeeper Lite, the harder it was to get anything to load up until I'd used the computer awhile and got it fragmented a bit. Plus, I can use Windows defrag with Geodisk 2 and set the computer to defrag and then shut down, and I can go to bed and let it work and it won't be on all night. I don't think you can do that with Diskeeper Lite.

So, does CleanUp and/or CCleaner clean out the files that Windows uses to optimize on defrag?

I no longer use CCleaner just CleanUp!. It will only clean the files you direct it to clean.

As far as fragmentation is concerned, it refers to the condition of a disk in which files are divided into pieces scattered around the disk. Fragmentation occurs naturally when you use a disk frequently, creating, deleting, and modifying files.

At some point, the operating system needs to store parts of a file in noncontiguous clusters. This is entirely invisible to users, but it can slow down the speed at which data is accessed because the disk drive must search through different parts of the disk to put together a single file.

I would think a defragmented HDD would be faster. :blink: