Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Countrydave55

So With The Election In Hand There Is A New Course

After the election Frist said that the people had spoken and the Bush agenda would move forward in Congress. When asked about the gay marriage amendment her said that would be a priority (I don't think they are allowed to say slam dunk anymore). Then two weeks ago he said that President's vision of tax reform and social security would be the priority. Last night he said there was no urgency amend the constitution now that states had begun changing their constitution and with fewer activist judges to worry about.

Sounds like the whole constitutional amendment thing is aborted. I wonder if all of the Christian conservatives will feel abandoned and betrayed? I hope this wasn't an election year political move after all that would seem like a flip flop and call into question the faith put into the Bush.

There is no need to ammend the constitution.

11 states had the gay marriage or domestic partnership issues on their ballots and the people overwhelmingly voiced their opinion on the iisue. I'm sure that the states can settle this issue by using a referendum which will be the end of it without the US constitution getting ammended.

The leaders of Massachusettes refused to put the issue on the ballot because they knew that their new marrige law would be killed instantly.

The only way to pass a law like this is to do it without any input from the voters. The great dictators of Mass. proved this.

Yes but that wasn't the issue was it.

The President said that the states cannot manage this issue. Remember before he was elected the first time he said this was a state's rights issue. Then when the states found a right for gays to marry he decided the states should have no right to make this determination. (Sort of a pattern don't you think. You can decide what ever way you want as long as it is the way he says it should be.) He wanted a constitutional amendment to deprive people of their rights (he said). Now that he is elected he doesn't seem to think this is part of his "mandate"?

I am just wondering how a man that "you all ways know where I stand" stands? Or does that change depending upon whether he is running for office.

My understaning was that before the election he thought that we needed an ammendment, but after the election when he saw the results of the states that had the referendums on their ballots, he deided that the states could handle this on their own with no federal intervention.

Maybe I misinterpreted the data.

CC,

Are you saying that Bush was waiting to see the result of what the States did? And then, if he did not agree with the outcome (eg. pro gay marriage), then he would have come out with a Constitutional amendment over riding the States?

That is a risky strategy. Particularly in 2000, he said plainly that he left that gay marriage was a state issue.

Are you saying that Bush was waiting to see the result of what the States did? And then, if he did not agree with the outcome (eg. pro gay marriage), then he would have come out with a Constitutional amendment over riding the States?

NO. Had the outcome been the opposite, he probably would have dropped it. He would not try to over-ride the states because he would lose on the issue.

The media made everyone believe that the voters wanted to allow gay marriage but when it came right down to it the people, when not in the public view, voted overwhelmingly against it.

When in public people need to be politically correct based on the medias portrayal of gay marrige making many people believe that this is what the majority wanted, but the result of the voters proves otherwise.

The issue on the states ballots was a good way to gauge the majorities feeling on the issue.

Even if he was against gay marriage, but the people wanted it, he would drop the issue and let the people have what they wanted.

The states decisions by their voters kind of let him off the hook in regards to making any decision or taking any further action on this issue.

Now I am confused.

If the states had supported gay rights Bush would have supported a constitutional amendment to prohibit gay marriage. But if they didn't he would not support such an amendment. I never heard him say that?

If he did, why is OK for the states to prohibit gay marriage but not for them to allow gays to have equal rights?

So that means there was never any intention of supporting a constitutional amendment?

If states supported equal protection he would not ask for an amendment because " he probably would have dropped it. He would not try to over-ride the states because he would lose on the issue." But if they support denying equal protection under the law then he would support an amendment because the states can't be trusted?

"When in public people need to be politically correct based on the medias portrayal of gay marriage making many people believe that this is what the majority wanted, but the result of the voters proves otherwise." I am not sure I saw any of these news shows. The republicans said that they would fire up the vote with this issue which they did not think could pass. Where was all of this majority supporting gay marriage news?

I don't think that there was but one state that thought that the discrimination against gays would fail to pass that was Oregon.

This should not be a surprise. The reason that the Constitution was written the way it was was because of the recognition that the minority needs to be protected from the majority. We would still have slaves if the country were ruled by majority. In fact if Bush packs the courts maybe we will again.