Emachine Computer - Beeps On Startup

What do I do? Emachine Tech Support tells me it is "Extended Memory" problems and that I should put my restore cds in. Now, i admitt, i dont know much about computers but when I turn my computer on and try to get into safe mode, its like the monitor isnt plugged in, so I cant understand how the restore cds will eliminate the problem.

So, it beeps 1-3-3-1, the monitor doesnt display anything, what could be wrong? Ram? Or maybe the mobo? Or even software?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

On an Emachine 1-3-3-1 is for "Autosize DRAM" in most cases which in your case might mean the ram is bad , if you have compatible ram available that is known to be good try taking the current ram out and putting the other in .

jack7058 --

Im not questioning your answer but where did you find this information?

Thanks for your help

I know this by having fixed 7 Emachines with the same same basic problem 3 of those had the ram upgraded and wouldn't work the other 4 just wouldn't boot and in each case when the ram was replaced they would boot and run normal .

I did find This tho

Priority One Support

Edited by jack7058

I have a simiar prob with my ram on an e-mahines t1440. It came with 128mb I added a stick of the correct 256mb, I got nothing, took it back tested bad. They gave me a new stick of a different brand, installed it and nothing again. The machine says that it still has 128, doesn't even detect it. why would my machine eat my ram twice so far?

I have a simiar prob with my ram on an e-mahines t1440. It came with 128mb I added a stick of the correct 256mb, I got nothing, took it back tested bad. They gave me a new stick of a different brand, installed it and nothing again. The machine says that it still has 128, doesn't even detect it. why would my machine eat my ram twice so far?

Did you use pc100 or pc133 ?

pc133 is no longer self stepping ie it won't step down to 100mhz that the system bus requires .

What you need to put in there