Change Mode

Palestinians Call For Peace

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4009213.stm

"I'm saying to the American administration, to President Bush to the Israelis and to the whole world, now is the period where we should be more serious," he said.

"If we are determined to do it we can do it in a very short time."

Well, they've made the first move. Let's not forget that and act quickly to find a solution through the International Courts.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Courtesy dictates that they be given credit for the forst move, but I hope that is not a "hang up". Too often the "first move" is used as leverage. In other words to offer one's hand in peace, but with terms that one will know cannot be accepted, then cry "foul" when the peace offering is rejected and point the finger to the other party.

I will try to be optimistic though.

A true optimist would allow the International Courts of Justice to arbitrate. A Security Council worthy of the name would apply the ICJ advice. That's international law in action and , imo, the only way forward to a just solution.

After the two leaders spoke, US state department officials said the US was looking at a new round of diplomacy, including a possible visit to the Middle East by Secretary of State Colin Powell.

But the BBC's Justin Webb, in Washington, notes that President Bush said nothing that he cannot later walk away from. Despite sounding optimistic, the president remains neither hostile nor committed to a peace process.

The president did not commit himself to an international peace conference on the issue and failed to embrace calls to appoint a special envoy to the Middle East.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4008071.stm

He's seized the opportunity with both hands then.

The call for peace will be interpreted as a sign of weakness. The US is currently on a mission to crush the Arab countries, so whatever Palestine has to say is irrelevant. As a Brit, that scares the living crap out of me. Having been late for the last two world wars, the US is making damn sure that is not the case for number three. May God help us all.

I fully accept that I may be moderated for airing this opinion.

The US is currently on a mission to crush the Arab countries

Actually the US is on a mission to stop terrorism and stop the ARAB dictators from crushing themselves. The Arab leaders have been killing and torturing their own citizens long before the US entered the picture.

Freedom and democracy is forbidden in the middle east and scares the hell out of ARAB leaders.

Actually the US is on a mission to stop terrorism and stop the ARAB dictators from crushing themselves. The Arab leaders have been killing and torturing their own citizens long before the US entered the picture.

Freedom and democracy is forbidden in the middle east and scares the hell out of ARAB leaders.

With all due respect? Edited by Jazzy

With all due respect? 

With all due respect? :erm: ....Bang out of order imo...although possibly hoisted by your own petard with that excuse for mature debate ;)

Quote edit by Jazzy

Edited by Jazzy

Since you ask Jim, your lot :filtered: in my cereal. And I resent the living hell out of it. If you people want to start a war, then good for you. For my part, our servicemen are fed up to the back teeth supporting your government's stupidity. This is not cowardice as there are no better fighting men then the British. Don't take my word for it, you can ask your armed special forces that we trained, but I am of the opinion that if there is a WWIII, you people will be responsible.

Guest fragged one

Since you ask Jim, your lot :filtered: in my cereal. And I resent the living hell out of it. If you people want to start a war, then good for you. For my part, our servicemen are fed up to the back teeth supporting your government's stupidity. This is not cowardice as there are no better fighting men then the British. Don't take my word for it, you can ask your armed special forces that we trained, but I am of the opinion that if there is a WWIII, you people will be responsible.

'your lot'?

you may resent what the bush administration has done with iraq and afghanistan, but do NOT forget that while you are too busy beeing a british snob, there are 300 million americans over here, with many of us opposed to the administration ourselves.

moreover, please take the time to explain the falkland island's war to me, i'm having difficutly understanding your blatant aggression for the sake of strategic sheep purposes.

Edited by Jazzy

Courtesy dictates that they be given credit for the first move, but I hope that is not a "hang up". Too often the "first move" is used as leverage. In other words to offer one's hand in peace, but with terms that one will know cannot be accepted, then cry "foul" when the peace offering is rejected and point the finger to the other party.

Gotta share your concern Chopdoc ;) ....but let's give this move the benefit of the doubt and hope we can move forward... :)
Guest fragged one

Thanks for the reminder!

such a fragmented sentence for one complaining about another's grammar!

your :filtered: stinks, too, amigo. ;)

Quote edit by Jazzy

Edited by Jazzy

moreover, please take the time to explain the falkland island's war to me, i'm having difficutly understanding your blatant aggression for the sake of strategic sheep purposes.

mineral rights if I was a cynic :lol: .....Maintaining the freedom of peoples who had every wish to stay British if I was being altruistic :)

Edit: stupidity :lol:

Edited by Devanski

I've removed the insults from this thread.

Dangermouse, you can either stay out of this thread voluntarily or take a suspension.

I'm re-opening this thread but please keep it civil. Thanks.

Wow, just came back to this thread. Didn't think it was going to get that bad. I think it's fine to express your opinions, but to the point of insulting someone's country is far too much. This isn't France you know. :woot: