Change Mode

! Gig Of Ram,and Slow Performance

Ok guys tell me if this makes sence, i have just updated my computer to a gig or ram. Now i updated from 640 to 1 gig and i see little or new differance. Is there a way to speed it up,how do you overclock it?

Does my paging file size have to do anythign with this, it is at 1522,(system managed size) i was told to double it,but wanted to here from the experts(you guys!) So what do i do,and how,really grateful for any comments!

Thanks guys

tech express link

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=VUH69W7LLBRSJKE7

:beer:

Guest fragged one

dude, you have a celeron, that's your problem.

i wouldn't expect any difference in performance in moving from 640 to 1 gig, unless you're running some huge programs...and if you are running some massive resource eaters, then you should no way in hell be using a celeron.

Edited by fragged one

First :welcome:

2nd...you have about a million things running turn some of those off.....(yahoo)

The celeron's only have like 256L2 cache.....so even if your doing things that need all that memory your chip would bottle neck.

And the amount of memory doesn't make it faster....just lets you do more things at the same time.

page file system I would say 1024

Biggest boost P4 with HT :)

Edited by Beast_USA

the celerons have 128 L2, and thats not even the part that slows down, something else (someone said it before) is.

the durons have 64K L2, and they were outperforming the competition at the time (P3/P4/Athlon).

the "better" celerons have 256 L2 (which is the same as many Athlon XPs), but that still is not the thing that slows them down.

celerons are still crappy, upgrade to a P4 like others are saying.

Ok,so i have heard that before,and i understand,i really should invest in a p4/hyper threading, ok,now how do i know if it is compatable? Does it matter what kind of socket or the voltage? Know any good ones out there? And installation?

I havent a clue on installing a processor(does it show lol)

And for l2 cache,what is a good amout ?

:help:

installin a new processor is ezier than pressin the power button on ur computer.... by the way what kind of motherboard do u have...just look to c waht kind of socket u have and waht the specs of the motherboard has to processors. start lookin for (waht i would reccomend) a p4 hyper theading....

Well, you'd have to get higher clocked ram, too, if you upgraded the processor... you are probably running pc-2100. :)

no he wouldnt..

most motherboards have a setting for ram called auto that will run it at it's factory specs, while the processor runs whatever fsb you need it at.

i had pc2100 in my 2.4c (800fsb)machine when i had it.. worked just fine

Edited by crossfire

try setting your swap file to a fixed size (not system managed. 1.5 gig min,max would probably be good). It will help some. (More on a celly then a p4.)

Edited by rja

no he wouldnt..

most motherboards have a setting for ram called auto that will run it at it's factory specs, while the processor runs whatever fsb you need it at.

i had pc2100 in my 2.4c (800fsb)machine when i had it.. worked just fine

my "auto" runs at whatever the processor's FSB is... maybe its different when its Intel though.

It'll work if you set the memory to 266 MHz though, no matter what (that is, if its PC2100).

PC2100 for 400FSB

PC2700 for 533FSB

PC3200 for 800FSB

something like that :P but people use different for 800.

OK i see, my memory is pc 2700,and if i am going to update my processor,shouldnt i get a combo with a new motherboard,like one with agp slot? Wouldnt that be best?

Ok so now this is most likely getting pricey,how much do you guys think that will cost?? More that 4oo?

And how do i find what kinda of socket i have i think its 370,but i dont remember,do i find out at bootup or can i look under my computer?

Les doy gracias

p.s. If i update my motherboard,what do i need to know? like specs and if it can be compatable with my comp?