Sign in to follow this  
Keith W

New Osama Bin Laden Tape

I would expect people to get defensive when a statement is made against the people of a country. AND when it is PERCEIVED that way.

a country is its people, I would tend to argue that you cannot seperate the two

If you want to criticise the President or Leader of a country, that's one thing but when it's taken in the other direction and that criticism is pointed at the people who live in those countries, then expect people to get defensive.

This thread, and a couple of others of similar nature, indicate that I, as an American, am uneducated and uninformed as to how to place my vote in the upcoming election in my country.

Sorry you take offense to this type of thread, if you hav chosen who you want to vote for though then you should not be offended. And if you have not chosen then you probably are uninformed and undereducated.

So many people are against military action in Afghanistan and Iraq... what I would like to know is WHAT DO YOU THINK SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE AFTER 9/11?? Should we have just sat here and taken it? I personally feel that there should have been more concentrated effort into finding OSB rather than directing so much attention toward Iraq at that time. However, Saddam Hussein needed taking out, too. I don't have a problem with Bush's actions. If Kerry speaks so much against military action that would lead one to believe he would not take the same action as Bush did. But then, Kerry changes his mind so much it's hard to know what he would do. Is there a perfect or even near-perfect political system?

So many people are against military action in Afghanistan and Iraq... what I would like to know is WHAT DO YOU THINK SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE AFTER 9/11?? Should we have just sat here and taken it? I personally feel that there should have been more concentrated effort into finding OSB rather than directing so much attention toward Iraq at that time. However, Saddam Hussein needed taking out, too. I don't have a problem with Bush's actions. If Kerry speaks so much against military action that would lead one to believe he would not take the same action as Bush did. But then, Kerry changes his mind so much it's hard to know what he would do. Is there a perfect or even near-perfect political system?

You are one of my favorite members here and if you werent I would typically destroy you for a post like that :)

I will just say that there has been no link found between 9/11 and Saddam, as well most of kerry's flip flopping has been a byproduct of media scrutiny. Kerry has fkip flopped but not near as much as Bush or the media as made it seem, if you read Kerry's full lectures and seen some of the justification for decisions he has made it is actually quite admirable.

yup, not too many folks can get away with a post like that :lol:

You are one of my favorite members here and if you werent I would typically destroy you for a post like that  :)

i dunno why :shrug: but that sure tickled my funny bone....still gigglin' :rofl2:

Edit: spelling :blushing:

Edited by firekracker

Guest Donna

:roller:

Go count the 99bottles on the wall, lets see how long ya giggle for. :P:lol:

Guest Donna

Edit: spelling :blushing:

Make sure you get that spelling right. :rolleyes::P

Guest Donna

LOL, i thought that was just the american way of saying it. :lol::lol:

I will just say that there has been no link found between 9/11 and Saddam, as well most of kerry's flip flopping has been a byproduct of media scrutiny. Kerry has fkip flopped but not near as much as Bush or the media as made it seem, if you read Kerry's full lectures and seen some of the justification for decisions he has made it is actually quite admirable.

Well, thank you kindly for the compliment, and the same goes in return. However! I never said or implied that there was any kind of link between 9/11 and Saddam. That's why I was puzzled by the amount of effort concentrated to Saddam when I thought that our military was supposed to be going after OSB. As for Kerry's flip-flopping... I rather not get into an arguement about that because it's not worth it. Did he actually make decisions :woot: You sure about that? :lol: Can you please tell me one bill that made it through the Senate with his name on it? Can you please tell me what he did in those 25 years? My whole family seems to intend to vote for Kerry except for me. I always was the black sheep, why stop now?

After 9/11 the action in Afghanistan was appropriate and well founded. I can even support the fact the Saddam needed to be removed from power. The only problem I have with Iraq was the execution and the dog and pony show that ensued.

I've seen so much 'phooey' posted about what OBL wants, what OBL thinks etc....

Why not read what he says for himself? He is not a Republican leader and so I would assume he isn't being fed his lines by a hidden ear piece.....

You, the American people, I talk to you today about the best way to avoid another catastrophe and about war, its reasons and its consequences.

And in that regard, I say to you that security is an important pillar of human life, and that free people do not compromise their security.

Contrary to what [President George W.] Bush says and claims -- that we hate freedom --let him tell us then, "Why did we not attack Sweden?" It is known that those who hate freedom don't have souls with integrity, like the souls of those 19. May the mercy of God be upon them.

We fought with you because we are free, and we don't put up with transgressions. We want to reclaim our nation. As you spoil our security, we will do so to you.

I wonder about you. Although we are ushering the fourth year after 9/11, Bush is still exercising confusion and misleading you and not telling you the true reason. Therefore, the motivations are still there for what happened to be repeated.

And I will talk to you about the reason for those events, and I will be honest with you about the moments the decision was made so that you can ponder. And I tell you, God only knows, that we never had the intentions to destroy the towers.

But after the injustice was so much and we saw transgressions and the coalition between Americans and the Israelis against our people in Palestine and Lebanon, it occurred to my mind that we deal with the towers. And these special events that directly and personally affected me go back to 1982 and what happened when America gave permission for Israel to invade Lebanon. And assistance was given by the American sixth fleet.

During those crucial moments, my mind was thinking about many things that are hard to describe. But they produced a feeling to refuse and reject injustice, and I had determination to punish the transgressors.

And as I was looking at those towers that were destroyed in Lebanon, it occurred to me that we have to punish the transgressor with the same -- and that we had to destroy the towers in America so that they taste what we tasted, and they stop killing our women and children.

We found no difficulties in dealing with the Bush administration, because of the similarities of that administration and the regimes in our countries, half of which are run by the military and half of which are run by monarchs. And our experience is vast with them.

And those two kinds are full of arrogance and taking money illegally.

The resemblance started when [former President George H.W.] Bush, the father, visited the area, when some of our own were impressed by America and were hoping that the visits would affect and influence our countries.

Then, what happened was that he was impressed by the monarchies and the military regimes, and he was jealous of them staying in power for tens of years, embezzling the public money without any accountability. And he moved the tyranny and suppression of freedom to his own country, and they called it the Patriot Act, under the disguise of fighting terrorism. And Bush, the father, found it good to install his children as governors and leaders.

We agreed with the leader of the group, Mohammed Atta, to perform all attacks within 20 minutes before [President George W.] Bush and his administration were aware of what was going on. And we never knew that the commander-in-chief of the American armed forces would leave 50,000 of his people in the two towers to face those events by themselves when they were in the most urgent need of their leader.

He was more interested in listening to the child's story about the goat rather than worry about what was happening to the towers. So, we had three times the time necessary to accomplish the events.

Your security is not in the hands of [Democratic presidential nominee John] Kerry or Bush or al Qaeda. Your security is in your own hands. Any nation that does not attack us will not be attacked.

Those of you that always state that the Muslim fundamentalists hate the West are wrong. They happen to hate Countries with foreign (and sometimes domestic) policies that bring unwarranted death and suffering to their own. Some of those countries happen to be in the West. You try to hide your own country amongst greater numbers in order to create false allies.

I would even go as far as to say that OBL is more tolerant than some of the posters here. Some have argued that the whole region deserves nuking! Some have claimed that all Muslims want to see all Westerners dead! OBL comes over as far more focussed, rational and less extreme than our right-wing posters would have us believe. Although I 100% abhor his attack on 9/11, I do see how he feels justified and motivated. Some of us Western countries have done a lot to feed the fire that burns in his belly. He mentions Lebanon and Palestine; the death toll from those 2 areas alone makes the numbers of lives claimed by Al Qaeda seem so petty.

Once again, I condemn Al Qaeda's attack on 9/11 because I do not accept revenge as an excuse. Also, I am not attempting to apologise for Al Qaeda or supporting OBL, but am simply stating my views and that I can see why he and his followers feel like they do.

Now I'll sit back and watch the Reps spin this post, put words into my mouth and re-write its intent :rolleyes: :beer:

Edited by Sir T Fireball

I would even go as far as to say that OBL is more tolerant than some of the posters here.

Now let's return to some semblance of reality.

Raging and threatening online is one thing, actually organising murder another. Terrorists are a scourge, undeserving of sympathy from the moment they kill, no matter what the cause. The site nutters are in a different bag.

i read an article not to long ago about how we are to deal with the terrorist mind-set. it was interesting as the first objective was to change them into 'people' as opposed to terrorists n' then begin discussion. the bottom line was that the only viable option to dealing with the phenomenon was understanding with the hope to reach out....

another key point was that spreading 'freedom' would not solve the problem as the freedom we, in the west, know is very unlike whatever or however freedom is perceived by the people we classify as terrorists. further, that an attempt to shove our perceptions of freedom upon a people whose ideology is far removed from ours will only result in more resistance....

it's a herculean task to pare everything down to the bare basics, but the writer of this article believes there is no other way. i think Sir T, given his willingness to understand the terrorist mindset, at least in part, is a step in the right direction.

understanding does not in any way translate to acceptance, justification or anything else....it just means to understand. even closer to home, let's say you're having a disagreement with a friend. bottom line is that initial efforts will be to understand the other's position before a compromise or solution can be realized....maybe that's being a bit too elementary but the article does raise some valid points.

i'll see if i can find a link though it was published several months ago....

:lol: Can you please tell me one bill that made it through the Senate with his name on it? Can you please tell me what he did in those 25 years? My whole family seems to intend to vote for Kerry except for me. I always was the black sheep, why stop now?

56 BILLS AND RESOLUTIONS KERRY PASSED

99th Congress (1)

S.CON.RES.62: A concurrent resolution expressing solidarity with the Sakharov family in their efforts to exercise their rights of freedom of expression, of travel, and of communication, as guaranteed under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, and the Final Act of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe.

SPONSOR: Sen Kerry (introduced 09/12/85) RELATED BILLS: H.CON.RES.186

100th Congress (7)

1. S.CON.RES.99: A concurrent resolution condemning North Korea's support for terrorist activities.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry .- LATEST ACTION: 03/04/88 Measure passed Senate, amended.

2. S.RES.189: A resolution to commend the United States Coast Guard for its recent heroic action in the rescue of 37 Soviet crew members.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry .- LATEST ACTION: 04/10/87 Measure passed Senate.

3. S.RES.279: A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate regarding ethical conduct expected of Senate political committees.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry .- LATEST ACTION: 09/09/87 Measure passed Senate, roll call #236 (87-0).

4. S.J.RES.91: A joint resolution disapproving the certification by the President under section 481(h) of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry .- LATEST ACTION: 04/07/87 Referred jointly to House Committees on Foreign Affairs; and Banking, Finance and Urban Affairs.

5. S.J.RES.285: A joint resolution expressing the sense of Congress that Haiti falls under the definition of "major drug-transit country" as stated in section 481(i)(5) of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, and therefore should be subject to the certification process mandated by section 481(h) of that Act.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry .- LATEST ACTION: 04/18/88 Referred to House Committees on Banking, Finance and Urban Affairs; and Foreign Affairs.

6. S.J.RES.369: A joint resolution to designate the period of September 17 through October 10, 1988, as "Coastweeks '88."

Sponsor: Sen Kerry .- LATEST ACTION: 09/27/88 Referred to House Committee on Post Office and Civil Service.

7. S.2365: A bill authorizing the release of 86 USIA films with respect to the Marshall Plan.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry .- LATEST ACTION: 09/20/88 Measure pass ed House, amended.

101st Congress (4)

1. S.RES.201 : A resolution to commend the courage and heroism of Walter Suskind, and unrecognized hero of World War II.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 10/31/1989) Cosponsors: (none)

Latest Major Action: 10/31/1989 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed to without amendment and with a preamble by Voice Vote.

2. S.J.RES.158 : A joint resolution designating October 22 through 28, 1989, as "World Population Awareness Week".

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 6/16/1989) Cosponsors: 27

Committees: Senate Judiciary; House Post Office and Civil Service

Latest Major Action: 10/25/1990 Signed by President.

3. S.J.RES.166 : A joint resolution to designate the period of September 16 through October 9, 1989, as "Coastweeks '89".

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 6/22/1989) Cosponsors: 54

Latest Major Action: 9/13/1989 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Census and Population.

4. S.2575 : A bill to urge the Secretary of State to negotiate a ban on mineral resource activities in Antarctica, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 5/3/1990) Cosponsors: 3

Committees: Senate Foreign Relations

Latest Major Action: 10/17/1990 House preparation for floor. Status: Held at the desk.

102nd Congress (12)

1. S.CON.RES.26 : A concurrent resolution calling for the United States to support a new agreement among the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Parties which would provide comprehensive environmental protection of Antarctica and would prohibit indefinitely commercial mineral development and related activities in Antarctica.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 4/11/1991) Cosponsors: 14

Latest Major Action: 5/29/1991 House preparation for floor. Status: Held at the desk.

2. S.RES.18 : A resolution to recognize the accomplishments of Lewis A. Shattuck.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 1/24/1991) Cosponsors: 2

Latest Major Action: 1/24/1991 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed to without amendment and with a preamble by Voice Vote.

3. S.RES.133 : A resolution to designate May 21, 1991, as "National Land Trust Appreciation Day", and to recognize the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Trustees of Reservations.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 5/22/1991) Cosponsors: (none)

Latest Major Action: 5/22/1991 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed to without amendment and with a preamble by Voice Vote.

4. S.RES.144 : A resolution to encourage the European Community to vote to ban driftnets for all European Community fishing fleets on July 8 and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 6/25/1991) Cosponsors: 9

Latest Major Action: 6/28/1991 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Resolution agreed to in Senate with amendments and an amendment to the Title and an amended preamble by Voice Vote.

5. S.RES.185 : An original resolution to provide for expenses and supplemental authority of the Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 9/26/1991) Cosponsors: (none)

Committees: Senate POW/MIA Affairs; Senate Rules and Administration

Latest Major Action: 10/16/1991 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Resolution agreed to in Senate with an amendment by Voice Vote.

6. S.RES.324 : A resolution relating to declassification of Documents, Files, and other materials pertaining to POWs and MIAs.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 7/2/1992) Cosponsors: 14

Committees: Senate POW/MIA Affairs

Latest Major Action: 7/2/1992 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed to without amendment and with a preamble by Yea-Nay Vote. 96-0. Record Vote No: 144.

7. S.J.RES.160 : A joint resolution designating the week beginning October 20, 1991, as "World Population Awareness Week".

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 6/13/1991) Cosponsors: 53

Latest Major Action: 10/30/1991 Signed by President.

8. S.J.RES.318 : A joint resolution designating November 13, 1992, as "Vietnam Veterans Memorial 10th Anniversary Day".

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 6/18/1992) Cosponsors: 57

Latest Major Action: 10/24/1992 Became Public Law No: 102-518.

9. S.J.RES.337 : A joint resolution designating September 18, 1992, as "National POW/MIA Recognition Day", and authorizing display of the National League of Families POW/MIA flag.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 9/15/1992) Cosponsors: 31

Committees: Senate Judiciary

Latest Major Action: 9/30/1992 Became Public Law No: 102-373.

10. S.1418 : A bill to designate the Federal building located at 78 Center Street in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, as the "Silvio O. Conte Federal Building", and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 6/27/1991) Cosponsors: 1

Committees: Senate Environment and Public Works; House Public Works and Transportation

Latest Major Action: 9/30/1991 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Public Buildings and Grounds.

11. S.1563 : A bill to authorize appropriations to carry out the National Sea Grant College Program Act, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 7/25/1991) Cosponsors: 13

Committees: Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation; Senate Labor and Human Resources; House Merchant Marine and Fisheries

Latest Major Action: 12/4/1991 Signed by President.

12. S.3389 : A bill to amend the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 to prohibit certain transactions with respect to managed accounts.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 10/8/1992) Cosponsors: (none)

Committees: House Energy and Commerce

Latest Major Action: 12/22/1992 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Telecommunications and Finance.

103rd Congress (5)

1. S.CON.RES.67 : A concurrent resolution to correct technical errors in the enrollment of the bill H.R. 2333.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 4/26/1994) Cosponsors: (none)

Latest Major Action: 4/28/1994 Passed/agreed to in House. Status: On agreeing to the resolution Agreed to without objection.

2. S.RES.183 : A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate that the action taken by the Government of France against United States seafood products is a totally unwarranted action that is having severe repercussions on United States seafood producers and, in general, the United States fishing industry.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 2/28/1994) Cosponsors: 7

Latest Major Action: 3/8/1994 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Resolution agreed to in Senate without amendment and with a preamble by Voice Vote.

3. S.1206 : A bill to redesignate the Federal building located at 380 Trapelo Road in Waltham, Massachusetts, as the "Frederick C. Murphy Federal Center".

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 7/1/1993) Cosponsors: 4

Committees: Senate Environment and Public Works; House Public Works and Transportation

Latest Major Action: 4/14/1994 Became Public Law No: 103-234.

4. S.1636 : A bill to authorize appropriations for the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 and to improve the program to reduce the incidental taking of marine mammals during the course of commercial fishing operations, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 11/8/1993) Cosponsors: 2

Committees: Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation

Latest Major Action: 4/30/1994 Became Public Law No: 103-238.

5. S.2478 : A bill to amend the Small Business Act to enhance the business development opportunities of small business concerns owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 9/29/1994) Cosponsors: 16

Committees: Senate Small Business; House Small Business

Latest Major Action: 10/7/1994 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on Small Business.

104th Congress (10)

1. S.212 : A bill to authorize the Secretary of Transportation to issue a certificate of documentation with appropriate endorsement for employment in the coastwise trade for the vessel SHAMROCK V.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 1/12/1995) Cosponsors: 2

Latest Major Action: 7/30/1996 House preparation for floor. Status: Held at the desk.

2. S.213 : A bill to authorize the Secretary of Transportation to issue a certificate of documentation with appropriate endorsement for employment in the coastwise trade for the vessel ENDEAVOUR.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 1/12/1995) Cosponsors: 2

Latest Major Action: 7/30/1996 House preparation for floor. Status: Held at the desk.

3. S.653 : A bill to authorize the Secretary of Transportation to issue a certificate of documentation with appropriate endorsement for employment in the coastwise trade for the vessel AURA.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 3/30/1995) Cosponsors: 1

4. S.654 : A bill to authorize the Secretary of Transportation to issue a certificate of documentation with appropriate endorsement for employment in the coastwise trade for the vessel SUNRISE.

5. S.655 : A bill to authorize the Secretary of Transportation to issue a certificate of documentation with appropriate endorsement for employment in the coastwise trade for the vessel MARANTHA.

6. S.656 : A bill to authorize the Secretary of Transportation to issue a certificate of documentation with appropriate endorsement for employment in the coastwise trade for the vessel QUIETLY.

7. S.1016 : A bill to authorize the Secretary of Transportation to issue a certificate of documentation with the appropriate endorsement for employment in the coastwise trade for the vessel MAGIC CARPET.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 7/10/1995) Cosponsors: 1

8. S.1017 : A bill to authorize the Secretary of Transportation to issue a certificate of documentation with the appropriate endorsement for employment in the coastwise trade for the vessel CHRISSY.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 7/10/1995) Cosponsors: 1

9. S.1281 : A bill to authorize the Secretary of Transportation to issue a certificate of documentation with appropriate endorsement for employment in the coastwise trade for the vessel SARAH-CHRISTEN.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 9/28/1995) Cosponsors: 1

10. S.1282 : A bill to authorize the Secretary of Transportation to issue a certificate of documentation with the appropriate endorsement for employment in the coastwise trade for the vessel TRIAD.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 9/28/1995) Cosponsors: 1

105th Congress (1)

S.469

Title: A bill to designate a portion of the Sudbury, Assabet, and Concord Rivers as a component of the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 3/18/1997) Cosponsors: 1

Related Bills: H.R.1110

Latest Major Action: 10/10/1998 Passed/agreed to in House. Status: On passage Passed without objection.

106th Congress (3)

1. S.791 : A bill to amend the Small Business Act with respect to the women's business center program.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 4/14/1999) Cosponsors: 30

Committees: Senate Small Business

Latest Major Action: 12/9/1999 Became Public Law No: 106-165.

2. S.918 : A bill to authorize the Small Business Administration to provide financial and business development assistance to military reservists' small businesses, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 4/29/1999) Cosponsors: 51

Committees: Senate Small Business; House Small Business

Latest Major Action: 7/29/1999 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on Small Business.

3. S.1569 : A bill to amend the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act to designate segments of the Taunton River in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for study for potential addition to the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 9/8/1999) Cosponsors: 1

Committees: Senate Energy and Natural Resources; House Resources

Latest Major Action: 2/2/2000 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on National Parks and Public Lands.

107th Congress (12)

1. S.CON.RES.7 : Concurrent resolution expressing the sense of Congress that the United States should establish an international education policy to further national security, foreign policy, and economic competitiveness, promote mutual understanding and cooperation among nations, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 2/1/2001) Cosponsors: 11

Committees: Senate Foreign Relations; House International Relations; House Education and the Workforce

Latest Major Action: 8/10/2001 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Education Reform.

2. S.RES.65 : A resolution honoring Neil L. Rudenstine, President of Harvard University.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 3/29/2001) Cosponsors: 1

Committees: Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions

Latest Major Action: 4/26/2001 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Resolution agreed to in Senate without amendment and with a preamble by Unanimous Consent.

3. S.RES.123 : A resolution amending the Standing Rules of the Senate to change the name of the Committee on Small Business to the "Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship".

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 6/29/2001) Cosponsors: 1

Latest Major Action: 6/29/2001 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed to without amendment by Unanimous Consent.

4. S.RES.180 : A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate regarding the policy of the United States at the 17th Regular Meeting of the International Convention for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas in Murcia, Spain.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 11/13/2001) Cosponsors: 3

Latest Major Action: 11/13/2001 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed to without amendment and with a preamble by Unanimous Consent.

5. S.RES.216 : A resolution to honor Milton D. Stewart for his years of service in the Office of Advocacy of the Small Business Administration.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 3/5/2002) Cosponsors: 15

Latest Major Action: 3/5/2002 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed to without amendment and with a preamble by Unanimous Consent.

6. S.RES.264 : A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate that small business participation is vital to the defense of our Nation, and that Federal, State, and local governments should aggressively seek out and purchase innovative technologies and services from American small businesses to help in homeland defense and the fight against terrorism.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 5/8/2002) Cosponsors: 25

Committees: Senate Small Business and Entrepreneurship

Latest Major Action: 7/8/2002 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Resolution agreed to in Senate without amendment and with a preamble by Unanimous Consent.

7. S.RES.302 : A resolution honoring Ted Williams and extending the condolences of the Senate on his death.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 7/9/2002) Cosponsors: 4

Latest Major Action: 7/9/2002 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Submitted in the Senate, considered, and agreed to without amendment and with a preamble by Unanimous Consent.

8. S.174 : A bill to amend the Small Business Act with respect to the microloan program, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 1/24/2001) Cosponsors: 18

Committees: Senate Small Business and Entrepreneurship; House Small Business

Latest Major Action: 4/17/2002 House committee/subcommittee actions. Status: Ordered to be Reported (Amended).

9. S.295 : A bill to provide emergency relief to small businesses affected by significant increases in the prices of heating oil, natural gas, propane, and kerosene, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 2/8/2001) Cosponsors: 34

Committees: Senate Small Business and Entrepreneurship; House Small Business; House Agriculture

Latest Major Action: 5/17/2001 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Conservation, Credit, Rural Development and Research.

10. S.856 : A bill to reauthorize the Small Business Technology Transfer Program, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 5/9/2001) Cosponsors: 13

Committees: Senate Small Business and Entrepreneurship

Latest Major Action: 9/14/2001 House preparation for floor. Status: Held at the desk.

Note: For further action, see H.R. 1860, which became Public Law 107-50 on 10/15/2001.

11. S.1499 : A bill to provide assistance to small business concerns adversely impacted by the terrorist attacks perpetrated against the United States on September 11, 2001, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 10/4/2001) Cosponsors: 63

Committees: House Small Business

Latest Major Action: 4/9/2002 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on Small Business.

12. S.2869 : A bill to facilitate the ability of certain spectrum auction winners to pursue alternative measures required in the public interest to meet the needs of wireless telecommunications consumers.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 8/1/2002) Cosponsors: 58

Committees: Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation; House Energy and Commerce

Latest Major Action: 11/22/2002 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet.

108th Congress (2)

1. S.300 : A bill to award a congressional gold medal to Jackie Robinson (posthumously), in recognition of his many contributions to the Nation, and to express the sense of Congress that there should be a national day in recognition of Jackie Robinson.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 2/4/2003) Cosponsors: 69

Committees: Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs

Latest Major Action: 10/20/2003 House preparation for floor. Status: Held at the desk.

Note: For further action, see H.R. 1900, which became Public Law 108-101 on 10/29/2003.

2. S.318 : A bill to provide emergency assistance to nonfarm-related small business concerns that have suffered substantial economic harm from drought.

Sponsor: Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] (introduced 2/5/2003) Cosponsors: 19

Committees: Senate Small Business and Entrepreneurship; House Small Business

Latest Major Action: 4/1/2003 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on Small Business.

On the first page of this thread I posted that Osama's announcement was meant to secure Bush's re-election. Those results aren't in but the polls show that since the Osama tape the trend toward Bush has increased and the narrowing margin reversed. Osama continues to play us like a fiddle.

I do not see how any country can be made safe from terrorism or external threat when the government destroys the economy. How long can you pay for safety with loans against future receipts that you are actively trying to reduce. I cannot believe this is a complicated relationship to understand.

I don't get it , CD. Bin thumbs his nose and people are more likely to vote for the guy that didn't catch him ?

Edited by moon

Osama's latest yakfest is harder on Kerry than Bush. Polls have consistently shown that Kerry suffers when security becomes an issue.

If anything, the release of the Osama tape was designed to ensure Bush's re-election, thereby consolidating a simple enemy around which the converted could rally.

I

Moon I think Iain beat me to the response I would have made.

GWB is a polarizing figure domestically and internationally. There are people (domestic supporters) that take pride in his polarizing endeavors. They like a black and white world. They want to believe that consistency is more important than correct. I suspect that it is laziness and fatigue. To take a position on an issue you need to understand the issue and what options exist. This requires energy and time. Most people in the US are working much more than 40 hours a week because of financial problems and family demands. They simply don't have time and don't want to put forth the effort to think about, research, and understand the issues. There is the risk that with changing information the positions need to change. This is an even greater burden for the average American because they need to review their position. It is much easier to take a position and stick to it. This is the Bush approach. It does not matter what changes or what information there is. He takes a position and sticks to it.

Because Bush is polarizing and inflexible he makes a perfect recruiting tool for Osama. Osama must maintain his power base and recruitment efforts. To do this he needs an enemy. George Bush more than America represents that enemy.

If Osama was trying to be neutral in this election why did he choose the week before the election to make himself public again? This was well timed. Reappear close enough to the election to stir emotion but not close enough to allow people to get beyond the emotion and to logically address the concern.

If Osama's position is neutral as he claims and as Bush's people claim, why did he devote time to a specific charge that 'Bush kept reading a book to kids instead of fighting back immediately.' He did not attack Kerry! The message was subtle as it must be to effect people. This was an attack on our leadership with a goal of rallying people to Bush's defense.

What ever may be said of Osama we know he is very clever, very dangerous, and very devious.

I still don't get it. Everybody agrees that the capture of Bin just before the election would assist Bush. I can't see that Bin thumbing his nose at him, just before the election, still assists Bush.

If I were Bin, and I wanted Bush elected, I'd make a video stating what a silly muslim I'd been and how I wanted to be a Bushist christian instead.