Change Mode

Might Buy A New Desktop

thts why you should build one. and has anyone else heard about what i mentioned earlier? about gateways not being able to upgrade? that was just something i heard, dunno if its true. and also i just now was able to get back to the board. was the forums down again? it was only for around 10 minutes or so, i kept getting the epanel crap.

I just bought a new Gateway.

It is upgradeable without using Gateway parts.

Just upgraded the ram.

I used Kingston,no problem.

Video card is ATI.

Hard drive is Western Digital.

Motherboard is Intel.

I could not build one for the price I payed.

i say build one i did mine last chrismas its in my sig just got the video card in july this year thinking of geting a mobile 3000 processor this christmas and pc3200 ram ony paid 350$ for all the computer but it had onboard video i had too use my 420mx card till i got the radeon but the computer was real worth it :)

i just wish i could build my own laptop and for cheep.

i just wish i could build my own laptop and for cheep.

I hear you there! Laptop parts - proprietary and expensive!!!

As for the build it / buy it argument, if you want a decent pc with decent performance for a decent price with a few extras thrown in and you are not looking to do intense work/gaming and aren't an upgrader at heart, then buy. There are some really good deals on brand name PCs at the moment. It will last you a good 3 or 4 years and then if you need to upgrade you can simply buy a new system.

Having said all that, if you build it yourself, you can buy exactly what you want, and you know exactly what you are getting and how it all goes together. You set the limit on your expandability options and you don't get bogged down with all the extras that you get with a package deal that you really don't want or need - you spend your money where it matters to you. Building my own PC certainly gave me a huge insight and understanding as to how it all hangs together and what to do if it goes wrong.

dowop, maybe you just got lucky, cause i was told that there was VERY LITTLE in there you could swap around without HAVING to take it in to have it done. i was told this by a gateway dealership right here in tulsa ok. i asked him about it, said i'd heard that and thats what he said. i still say build your own or get the parts and have a local shop put it together, either way you'll be more pleased with the outcome.

yep, shoot i saw on the screen savers patrick norton, built a 500 dollar gaming rig. bought all the parts and built it. if he could do a really nice gaming puter for 500 you could spend a few more bucks and have a kick butt system. he used the components he bought from some online places, i know, online buying of puter stuff is usually a bad idea. but im talking places like crucial for the mem and such. if you watch the shows they usually say about them all the time. or just get the parts locally. still you cant beat buying the stuff you want and if need be having someone QUALIFIED, put it together for you.

dowop, maybe you just got lucky, cause i was told that there was VERY LITTLE in there you could swap around without HAVING to take it in to have it done. i was told this by a gateway dealership right here in tulsa ok. i asked him about it, said i'd heard that and thats what he said. i still say build your own or get the parts and have a local shop put it together, either way you'll be more pleased with the outcome.

What I bought I was not lucky getting.

The Model# is 550GR.

I also have a custom built<last year>

P4 2.6

ASUS P4P800 Deluxe

1g ddr400

9800 PRO.

2 Western Digital HD 80 GIG.

The machine runs great.

I have a lot more money in it than I do the Gateway.

I just bought a new Gateway.

It is upgradeable without using Gateway parts.

Just upgraded the ram.

I used Kingston,no problem.

Video card is ATI.

Hard drive is Western Digital.

Motherboard is Intel.

I could not build one for the price I payed.

I bet you could, they always cheap out on either the mobo or the videocard sometimes both. It is amazing how much cheaper a computer is with a cheap mobo and cheap videocard.

Yeh, actually putting the hardware is a PoP (assuming you don't get any dud parts). However, installing the OS and updating the hardware drivers is a lengthy and laborious process (took flippin' ages!).

However, it is a challenging and rewarding thing to do - if that's what you like.

If you prefer to buy a ready-made, stable machine with good performance - and you can afford it - I would buy an Alienware PC.

Trouble is, I think their lowest spec machine starts at about $1000

Edited by Deafdumbandblind