Change Mode

Uncapping A 4200 Surfboard Modem

i got the firmware file for uncapping my modem. i never upated the firmware for my modem and i dont no wut version i have. How can i find 0out wut version i have?

i have a router too. And iff i have the right file? how can i uncap my modem? is there an easier way to do this? can anyone email me the files or give me a stepp to step guide to uncapping my modem? i have comcast 1500/256. my email is jermjosh89@comcast.net

uncapping your modem will violate your Comcast T.O.S.

e. No Tampering: You will not service, alter, modify or tamper with the Comcast Equipment or with the Service, or permit any other person (unless authorized by Comcast) to do so. This prohibition includes, without limitation, altering a cable modem to change the downloading or uploading capacity of the cable modem.

http://www.comcast.net/terms/subscriber.jsp

Hey Josh, why don't you post your phone number and ill have someone call you about federal crimes. Don't mess with your firmware. It screws up the whole neighborhood's upstream and the cable co figures it out REAL quick.

ive heard alot of bad things about road runner. slow, inconsistent as hell, and not guaranteed to be connected 24 hours a day. i still like comcast.

Whatever :P;) RoadRunner is great

Its not slow, infact its faster than alot of other broadband options (atleast in my area) Just did a speed test and got 2341 Kbps, not bad. I have been connected 24/7 for a very long time. Of course you cannot predict outages which are caused by nature and when it comes to that RoadRunner and Timewarner always work quickly to resolve the issue and credit their customers for the down time. They also provide free dial up service incase such outages occur.

So dont believe everything you hear :mrgreen::P

Comcast might be great also, I never used it so I cant say :)

stop praising comcrap thats why i have dsl i was too sleepy at 2am to get any action ...and had to get up @ 6 am......its not as fast as cable but it definitly makes up the difference in time wasted with cable around the end of the week...comcrap needs to stop being cheap and update there servers for more customer demand......plus i live right down the street from there broadcasting station....and it stunk....hey they also have phone service running threw those cables ..that really freaks me out ...a friend called me that has it .. and it sounds hissy..noisy

well ive had comcast for a little while now.

i like speed yes. but reliability and consistency is yet quite another pleesantry.

ive never once been at a spot that i couldnt get online. other than minor problems caused from my pc.

and not only that.. i get 1750 - 1800 kilobits per second down and 205 - 240 up. CONSISTENTLY.

i dont think ive ever had the prob of it surging and our phones are never "hissy".

its all where u live i guess and how many peeps are on each server. in my area, Lansing, the capitol of michigan, its great. i cant imagine a much bigger area other than detroit so i think the population is well distrubeted over the cable internet service. :)

:tup: for comcast.

...... Road Runner is decent. But the best company out there right now is Optimum Online. 1 mb upload for UPLOAD and like 10 mb/s for download. This is just REGULAR CABLE! :woot: 40 bucks and you get all that? I wish I lived in New Jersey.

i no optimum is awesome. im moving to nj for college. LOL

how come some peeps are so dumb and there like in college and im 14 and i no how to o/c my computer, build comps, and stuff like taht? huh?

im not that smart? i just got into techy world like when i was 11 and now im pretty good at troubleshooting. i guess some peeps just arent good enough lol!

Firmware does not need to be updated, nor do you need to break into your ISP servers. You would have to grap a copy of your config file from your ISP's tftp server, then fool your modem into getting the config file from the lan side instead of the wan side. I won't give you the details, you'll have to figure that out on your own. BTW, if I was your neighbor and I had cable internet also, if you told me you were uncapping I'd break your kneecaps :) OK, not really, but by doing this, you will affect everyone on your node. If it has a large enough negative impact, expect to get blacklisted by comcast, which means they will never give you internet service again.