Change Mode

Mozilla Firefox (problems)

Hi,

Well I finally made the switch over from IE to Mozilla Firefox. Afterwards, I changed the interface around and set up my bookmarks (imported from IE). I went to PC Pitstop: www.pcpitstop.com to do a full PC tune-up and it seems that ActiveX is not supported by Mozilla Firefox so, instead you have to install this plug-in called 'Neptune'. I downloaded and installed the plug-in and followed the instructions on PC Pitstop of where to move the plug-in to (npmeadax.dll and move it to the browser's /plugins folder). I did that, it is now in the Mozilla Firefox plug-in folder. I click where it tells me to run the tests under Neptune and I am getting an error pop-up saying: an error has occurred in the script of this page. It says the error in loading DLL, and, it is asking me if I still want to continue running scripts on this page (and I click on 'Yes' and it still pops up). What is going on?

I shut off Firefox and and restarted it but, still no change. I am still getting that error message regarding running scripts. On the site seen here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/neptune_about.asp

When I click on where it tells me to, I get that error message. When I click 'Yes' that I want to continue running scripts on this page, it still pops up and brings me back to the homepage of PC Pitstop. Something is wrong. Also, you can't use most of the other online scanning tools on PC Pitstop because Mozilla Firefox is not supported (ActiveX).

Well I would suggest not destroying the security in Firefox by installing a plugin that uses Inetrnet Exploders activex.

Use IE to test, leave Firefox in it's pristine secure form and you will be much better off.

Remove the neptune junk, and enjoy Firefox the way it was inteded to be enjoyed, fast secure and activex problem free. ;)

So, it is recommended that I should only use IE for doing the PC tuneup? Isn't Neptune supposed to work for doing the tuneup? Would you know where I could get a plugin that uses IE's ActiveX?

Also, under start>all programs>mead & company>meadco's neptune homepage, I tried to do a sample on the site and I am getting the same script error that I get when I try to use Neptune for running the PC tuneup. In that script error message, there is a URL: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/default.mspx could this page help me?

Edited by white_cloud_8

Actually I just uninstalled it and reinstalled it, but still no change. Is anyone else having the same difficulty as I am? I downloaded the file, I right-clicked and opened with WinZip, and I extracted it to 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins'. That did not work. I created a new folder in the plugins folder called 'Directory' and placed that dll in it, am I supposed to put all of the files in the plugins folder into the directory folder? What should I do?

I also asked this question on mozillaZine, and someone responded with this link (Firefox 1.0PR): http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=140828

For step 5, instead of extracting the file I moved it instead (I deleted the file that was left by the xpi first), would this affect anything?

Other than that, I tried it again but it doesn't work without Neptune :angry: :angry: :angry: so, I d/l'ed it once again and extracted it to 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins'. I'm still getting that damn pop-up regarding a script error.........BAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the instructions, it told me to delete the file that was left by the xpi, and, extract the file (from step 5) to the same place but, I didn't see an option when I right-clicked to extract the file (in WinZip). Instead, I selected the file and moved it to the location instead. Could someone please help me with this issue?

~thanx

For the scripting error message says this:

Internet Explorer Script Error

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 1

Char: 17

Error: File name or class name not found during Automation operation

Code: 0

URL: http://www.pcpitstop.com/default.asp

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

Yes or No

Then when I click 'Yes' and click on 'Full Tests' the URL changes to: http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp , and, other times: http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pa...Fadgg.htm%

Edited by white_cloud_8

Here are the instructions I followed:

*npmeadax.dll must be in the Firefox "Plugins" folder or it will not work.

*All the IEView extension does is open Internet Explorer so you can view a web page in IE that you are currently viewing in Firefox. If you are planning on using the IEView extension at PcPitStop, then there is no point in using Firefox; you should use IE to begin with.

*Place npmeadax.dll in your Firefox "Plugins" folder

*Check (via "about:plugins") to see that npmeadax.dll is enabled

*Make sure that javascript is enabled in both Firefox and IE.

*Disable all popup-blocking and add-blocking features in your browser, web-filtering, security, and privacy software.

*Make sure scripting and cookies are enabled in your browser, web-filtering, security, and privacy software.

*Delete your Firefox cache and cookies and your IE temp, temporary internet files, and cookies.

Could someone please help me with this issue?

Several people have already helped you with this issue by telling you to use IE for the PC Pitstop testing. I'll add one more:

Use IE for the PC Pitstop testing.

I tried Firefox once, didn't like it, uninstalled it. IE works fine for me, no problems, and I can test my computer at PC Pitstop anytime I want to. -kd5-

The only time I use IE is to test at the Pit or at work for some internal sites that run ActiveX stuff.

It's pretty straightforward and you can even get a plugin for Firefox so you can have a right click option to load the current page in IE. Please, just use IE for the Pit test and use Firefox for everything else.