Hey everybody. I am new to the forums, but have been testing in the pit for ahwile. I just recently built a new computer a few weeks ago, and I was wondering what things I could do to make it run even better than what it is now. http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=QWU79WQTJTRS1TUE that is a recent test. I have a 3.4ghz pentium 4 prescott, lga775 socketed. I am also running 2gigs of Corsair XMS2 pro, ddr2 pc2-5400. I have twin 74g raptors in a Raid-0. PCI EXPRESS, with i925x and ICH6r. Ati's X800 xt pci express version. Overall I am pretty happy with my system, but I have not been scoring even close to some of you guys. Can anybody help me out? :)

By the way, my cooling is pretty good, but nothing exotic. I have some powerful 120mm fans, and I have one on the side for my video card. Another question, why do some lower classed video cards beat out my new x800 xt? Just curious.... Oh, I scored 5370 on 3dmark05. Dont know how good that is or not.

you should be able to do better than 5370 with pci-e

mines agp and i got 6057 and i got a lower spec machine than you.

my pit test.. and score also another thing i noticed

Speed Rating  4984 (91% of 1151 similar)

of your cpu...

thats for some reason quite low... maybe someone else could explain this.. im not sure how the tests work... sometimes they favour somethings.. and not others.

Yes, I also thought my processor was scoring low. It is a new prescott core, known as the "E" version, although I dont know why it scored so low. I have not overclocked anything, and have not changed anything in my bios either. Kinda weird dark how your comp scored higher than mine in 3dmark05, something must be wrong here. Anybody have any suggestions?

I wish I had a better answer for you but I do know that Prescotts are scoring lower than their P4c brothers. I'm thinking that is probably the answer but maybe not one you want to hear. All in all it a strong system and seems to be scoring well in the other areas. :)

not usually. my processor usually scores 102% with all my normal programs closed, and around 100-101% with everything closed.

most processors won't improve performance, however programs that are using the internet or ANY cpu load (even 1%) can cause a slowdown.

so yes, do close programs, especially ones that use any amount of cpu load.

I was thinking of overclocking, not really sure if I need to though, maybe just for a little fun. I think my cooling is pretty good. I want to get something exotic soon, maybe like a watercooling system, but I dont know if they make a block to fit LGA775's. By the way, what is that Vapochill or something like that I saw somewhere.... Oh yeah, anybody know how to get my video card to score in the 500's? I saw some lower boards getting there, just curious.

Edited by Avalanche

If it is running good for you, and meets your needs, you shouldn't overclock it. :mrsgreen: It looks like youv'e got a pretty good system there, and by overclocking it you will shorten the life of your puter.

If it is running good for you, and meets your needs, you shouldn't overclock it. icon_mrsgreen.gif It looks like youv'e got a pretty good system there, and by overclocking it you will shorten the life of your puter.

yes it does shorten the life, but 3 years. normal life expectancy..... 10 years :woot:

i dont really think that your going to keep that chip for 7 years... do you?

:P Thanks guys. Yeah whenever something new comes out, maybe a 3.8ghz or 4.0ghz lga775 comes out, I will probably grab one of those. I was thinking of one of the extreme editions, but they are so expensive, and I dont know if it is really worth the cash for more cache. Ati's best is the x800xt right now, obviously, but does anybody know anything about whats coming afterwards? Or even for Nvid's? I love fat juicy expensive 100 pound peices of hardware. :woot:

:P Thanks guys. Yeah whenever something new comes out, maybe a 3.8ghz or 4.0ghz lga775 comes out, I will probably grab one of those. I was thinking of one of the extreme editions, but they are so expensive, and I dont know if it is really worth the cash for more cache. Ati's best is the x800xt right now, obviously, but does anybody know anything about whats coming afterwards? Or even for Nvid's? I love fat juicy expensive 100 pound peices of hardware. :woot:

Nice system! I love it, especially the mass amounts of memory, and great HDD performance. If you would spend $1000+ on a processor, you might as well get the new fx-55, my friend. :)

Thank you :woot:. Yes, I would consider getting a new fx-55, but the thing is, I am running PCI-Express right now, and my x800 xt is also. I have a really nice motherboard. I would have to change my proc, mobo, vid card, and possibly even my ram. Do the fx-53's require registered memory? I would'nt know, I stay with intel myself. I think I am just going to keep advancing the path I have chosen, and upgrade along the way. Right now I am having a really hard time finding a kickass water cooling system that will work with my lga775. Prescotts DO run very very very hot. Sometimes, under heavy load, it will even get up to 67C. I really need to find some good watercooling to knock that down.

you have a 3.4 Ghz P4 and only got a 498 for a score, i have a AMD 64 3000+ with a clock speed of 2 Ghz and i got a 636. why the score difference? he has a faster clock speed. oh and btw nice comp set up...thats a lot of RAM!!

Well, apparently, AMD's and Nvidia's score alot better than Intels and ATI's in the pit. But, just because your processor may have a better score on pcpitstop, that doesnt mean that mine doesnt beat yours in gaming or multitasking, or whatever you want to compare. But I guess your's beats mine in other area's, probably because they were designed completely different. How do the Koolance water cooling systems perform? And if I was wrong with something above, let me know, cuz I am new here, and clearly dont know much about the tests themselves.

ooh :woot: I like that koolance. It looks nice. Do they perform well, and are they high quality? I dont want no peice of crap leaking water in my system. LOL

:lol:

* Opens dvd drive to put in a movie, then is woken up with 5 gallons of water pooring out the drives mouth. Stares down at his shirt and shakes his head. :lol: