Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thomas Stephen

Pc Should Be On Or Off

Guest Thomas Stephen

Do I have to turn off my computer or is it better to leave it turned on all the time.

Do u have any suggestion?

Guest fragged one

leave it on...

it uses quite a bit of electricity to simply turn it on, and you may actually use less electricity just leaving it on all the time....also, turning it off and on causes extra wear on moving parts.

It doesn't matter. You're going to buy a new one next year anyway.

The big stink is constant current vs power surges when you boot-up and which wears your system down faster.

Better to just forget about it and clean your box once a month to promote free air-flow, which in turn allows your machine to run at a cooler, less stressful temperature.

I

Edited by Iain

What Iain said -

There are numerous debates - actually though not too long ago they found that turning it off doesn't really hurt it at all.

Personally, I leave mine on because it's easier, and I have ir when I need it.

I think this is one of the age old discussion topics. I too leave mine on all the time only rebooting if I need. I do turn them off during electrical storms or if I'm going away for a couple of days or so. Other than that they stay on 24/7. I'm on a network and the connection has been "alive" for 4 days 13 hrs 21 mins. That would have been the last update that needed a reboot.

Turn it off. Why add to your power bill and global warming at the same time.

Reboots are good for Windows. :lol:

PS- Welcome. :)

Edited by moon

Why add to your power bill and global warming at the same time.

Point taken moon.

I was addressing the hardware debate only.

I

You could check out SETI or [email protected] if you're gonna leave your machine on overnight...:D

Sorry, a shameless plug...:lol:

I have been. The only thing stopping me is I'm planning to upgrade my server in next couple of weeks (edit: upgrade = dual pII) maybe pIII if funds will stretch enough. Once I have that setup and running I will be looking into that.

Last time I checked, a PC uses approximately 6 dollars a month...probably more if you run more than a standard store-bought one.

That number could be different though. So if you turn it off at night, you could be saving 3-5 bucks a month probably

Pardon me moon but I think this issue is resolved. If you are running SETI and find the extraterrestrials they will be able to provide global air conditioning and new power sources so this is an investment. :)

Mine goes to sleep when I do... ;)

Tried leaving it on once, went 3 days before something (have no idea what) happened, system froze up, errors at reboot, reformatted, screw that, I don't leave it on anymore. -kd5-

BTW, turning off your PC does not protect it from surges, lightning, or electrical storms. ATX power supplies use an electronic switch, not a physical power disconnect like the old AT power supplies or your home light switches. The PS is always connected to the power line and just provides less power in "standby" mode.

If you are worried about surges you need to unplug the power cord from the PC, and also unplug the modem, network, and any other wiring leading into the PC from an outside source (e.g., TV cable if you have a TV tuner). Analog modems are some of the most commonly fried PC components because of surges coming in through the phone line. If you're lucky, the damage stops there...

BTW, turning off your PC does not protect it from surges, lightning, or electrical storms. ATX power supplies use an electronic switch, not a physical power disconnect like the old AT power supplies or your home light switches. The PS is always connected to the power line and just provides less power in "standby" mode.

If you are worried about surges you need to unplug the power cord from the PC, and also unplug the modem, network, and any other wiring leading into the PC from an outside source (e.g., TV cable if you have a TV tuner). Analog modems are some of the most commonly fried PC components because of surges coming in through the phone line. If you're lucky, the damage stops there...

Surges can be good :P My uncle had a pc he got for free, 486 8mb of ram etc etc, ad it got blew through the modem and he got a £800 voucher for a new pc :D

You're right too, Iain, and Countrydave. I suggest that every PC owner plants a large broadleaf tree. That should keep the statisticians going for a while. :lol: