Is There Any Folding Team Here?

Dr^nO

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted on Apr 12 2003, 01:56 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

uninstall the one you have now...

then d/l & install this one instead: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/r...lding@Home3.EXE

Going to bed doesn't improve my thinking ability ... I feel just as stupid radio

How do you uninstall .... properly .. :help: .. I've been to add/remove and I'm no wiser!.

... and when downloading ... do you have to have the folder open at the same time ... the link takes me straight to the actual d/l.

The number of complications seem to keep adding up. :blank:

:yikes: God only knows the problems I'm going to get when I do a customised clean install of XP Pro on to a new Hard disk :yikes:

Beam me up radio ..... :blushing::( MrFred :(

Think I've done it ... Right clicked and used Norton ... then deleted odds and ends.

Install seems OK ... every few minutes ... Firewall intervenes ... my name ... confidential? ... looks as if I will have to alter something. :blank:

When I try to open the file ... It says it is already running, but nothing on task bar!. So I can't right click on it.

I've noticed there is an uninstall file now! :huh:

Thanks radio :erm: ... not too happy .... yet!!! :blank::)

Myself, I wouldn't touch any of these things with a 10 foot pole... it sound just too much like spy-ware to me, and I just ain't-a gonna do it, I don't care how big the name of the place (stanford??) is!

:yikes::tdn:

http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html#stats.howcred

How do you decide how much credit a work unit is worth?

How do you determine how many points a work unit is worth? Before putting out any new work unit, we benchmark it on a dedicated 500MHz Celeron machine (this machine does not have SSE/3DNow). We plug the results of this into the following formula:

points = 2 * multiplier * (daysPerWU)

where daysPerWU is -- no surprise -- the number of days it took to complete the unit.

Myself, I wouldn't touch any of these things with a 10 foot pole... it sound just too much like spy-ware to me, and I just ain't-a gonna do it, I don't care how big the name of the place (stanford??) is!

:yikes:  :tdn:

I've thought and worried about this as well. .. :( .. I'm surprised some of the Spyware Agents haven't made commentary about this .... even before JimD did. I would think that other potential participants may be put off by similar thoughts.

I can readily appreciate the use of "relaxed"computing time to be made use of by many approved projects; but, I would expect a gaurantee that improper use was not possible and could be verified. :blank::erm:

Does anyone else have thoughts about this aspect of this project? :erm: .

Edited by MrFred

:yikes:  :tdn:

I've thought and worried about this as well. .. :( .. I'm surprised some of the Spyware Agents haven't made commentary about this .... even before JimD did. I would think that other potential participants may be put off by similar thoughts.

I can readily appreciate the use of "relaxed"computing time to be made use of by many approved projects; but, I would expect a gaurantee that improper use was not possible and could be verified. :blank::erm:

Does anyone else have thoughts about this aspect of this project? :erm: .

Smiles :)

In any given situation there will always be potential for people to exist who take advantage of other people either for profit or fun. I don't see where this should be a concern with the Folding@Home project. I previously participated in the Distributed Net project and never experience any problems of this kind.

However, (and most obviously) this is strictly a volunteer thing. Folks who have some fears that outweigh their desire to participate simply don't have to do it. But it is great fun to "belong" to a team and have the camaraderie that goes with such.

:cheers:

Have a nice day

David

PS MrFred you are very welcome I enjoyed responding to your initial confusion

PS MrFred you are very welcome I enjoyed responding to your initial confusion

I've been running the folding thing now for 2 days .. :blank: .. but I don't appear to have any results or be a member of any team :( . And its running 24 hrs a day .... I think .... I can see the logo thing slowly scrolling .... and every 20 to 30 minutes or so, my firewall kicks in to prompt me allow permission to the stanford.edu site. I'm sure something is wrong :( . I'm going to try to "adjust" the firewall again .... now :erm: .

Oh, as well, on the folding@home display there's this message "Couldn't get work instructions" ...... ???? :blank:

There's also a log page I can get that seems to have more error messages than might be expected :blank: .

is there an option in the Norton Firewall to always allow, instead of having it ask all the time?

it sounds like it hasn't actually downloaded the information to be worked on yet...

also glad to see you haven't given up yet :mrgreen:

I have now turned the firewall off ... still nothing much different. :blank:

As I write this, I went back to the display, and everything has just started happening .. :woot: .. so I'll have another look at it and be further amazed .. :P .. Do I have to stay on line .... or can things be stored on the computer .... and then downloaded next time on line. :)

Smiles :)

When you make one complete pie (WU) the program on your computer sends the data in and retrieves the next batch of work to do. After the data has been sent in you will see your statistics on the website. There may be some delay after your first one before the site is updated because they have to create a new "account" for you as a new user. After that the data updates with-in and up to one hour.

Here are some things of interest if you are going to do this:

On The Download Page there are links to Instructions:

Þ Instructions For Windows Users

• Win 95/98/SE/ME users should download the recommended client for all versions of windows

• NT/2000/XP can (and probably should) download the screensaver version

Windows Power Users Only (and those fearless souls who will try anything once) might consider downloading the Text Only Console Version

Þ Instructions For The Text Only (Non-GUI) version

You must give permission for the client to pass through your firewall (to avoid doing this repetitively you maybe should let it through permanently)

• Be patient with this thing. The RAW speed of your processor and how you make use of your PC will determine how fast you crunch numbers. There is very little instant gratification beyond participating in this topic on this forum and bringing up the program now and then and watching the different genetic structures pass by.

• You will notice that your computer runs hotter. It will be similar to running a graphic intensive game. This is due to the fact that this program uses your idle CPU cycles to crunch numbers. Normally your idle CPU cycles are when your box gets a chance to cool off a little. No harm will normally come to your computer because of this but you should be aware that it will run hotter and if you have a lot of dust-bunnies lurking near your CPU you do run a chance of frying something important.

:) Good Housekeeping is a good idea when it comes to computers :)

• Intel has been helping support the project, but has announced that it is ending their contribution to distributed computing in general and no longer supports any distributed computing clients, including F@H

• You can enjoy viewing the team statistics (from which you can access your personal statistics):

Þ You May Want To Bookmark Or Otherwise Save THIS Link

• As with any program you have downloaded and installed you should from time to time check for an updated version. This program is non-intrusive and does not have a utility working behind the scenes that will do this for you.

• Linux and Mac users should be able to follow along easily enough and find the program they need to download on the download page

Have a nice day

David

Edited by oftentired