Is There Any Folding Team Here?

Dr^nO

Heh ,

I was just curious to see if there was any folding team here. Folding@home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.

What you do is you Idle and run a program in the background. You can help by downloading and running client software. The algorithms are designed such that for every computer that joins the project, we get a commensurate increase in simulation speed.

Just curious if there was any folding teams out there? :)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm... folding@home is way more competitive. I dunno, No one runs seti anymore :erm:

Countrydave runs seti@home,,I downloaded the folding software,,hope it knows what to do,,because I can't even fold a towel very good!! :mrgreen: v

i tried the seti thing and got to confused on what the thing is suppose to do. :blink::mrgreen: so i gave it up didn't think there was a need for it. i seen i few folding teams on some other websites just wasn't too interested at the time, maybe if the pit gets one up and going i'll give it another shot. :P:)

Smiles :)

I did the Cow one a while back and while messing with it figured out that the best numbers where achieved while I was offline... Boot to DOS and run the DOS client. It kicks rear end for computations when WinBloat is not running. No doubt this folding thing has a DOS client as well.

Have a nice day.

David

heh yay!

Lets all get a folding@pcpitstop.com !

I'm glad this topic is pinned. We should all get a member list of who wants join. Also we need a tag. [PCPIT] or something? [PCPS] ? any Ideas...

I have no idea what anybody is talking about. .... :mrsgreen: .... :mrsgreen:

I've looked at the Stanford website ... and that's all Greek.

I don't understand Greek here ... and I'm sure I don't understand the Greek there. :blushing::blank:

I always thought I was a little bit clever ... but I think that idea has gone out of the window. :( .... but, I am here? ... MrFred :)

Ooook :blink:

I am with Mr Fred

Still a bit confused :huh:

But heck I am willing to try anyting once so please for the sake of those of use that are a bit thick, would one of you be so kind as to spell it out in plain english :P

Do I need to download anything?

and what does this folding thing do?

I know I read the link but it is still all Geek to me :blushing:

:help: Well, I have had another look at that site, and I'm as baffled as ever. :help:

It's a big and very technical site.

:blank: Can someone put a laymans version of something together please (the people at Sandford ... or anybody at the forum who nearly understands it) :erm: .

Even the FAQ's look as if I have missed out on a couple of degree courses :woot:

This site is not intended for the general public .... :nuke: .

MrFred is willing to help with the project ... but, would appreciate a simple comprehensible feed back :) .

Guest Donna

I took it out slowed everything down way to much :mrsgreen:

With most of these types of programs, you only run them when your not using your computer. If you have your computer on 24/7, turn the program on when you go to bed, or leave the house. :)

Smiles :shifty:

Its the basic distributed net theory to utilize the idle cycles of the millions of Personal Computers scattered throughout the world to perform computations. With enough PC's put to use a distributed net project can, for almost FREE, achieve computation power that far exceeds the fastest mainframe computer in existence. In fact it can exceed the computational power of several mainframe computers linked together. Because of this certain projects requiring huge computational assets that were not previously available at any cost can now be done with almost no cost.

If you participate you will experience a slight slow down of your computer because you have to wait briefly for the program to give up the CPU. It will never take the CPU and use it unless it is idle. But that, is surprisingly, more frequently than you may think. For example if you monitor your CPU usage and you average about 20% usage during a normal day you have available 80% idle CPU cycles which can be used for this project as well as any cycles you give to the project by not turning your computer off. Your resources will appear to be used to a far greater extent because the idle cycles that would be present are now used by the client.

To make it fun for the individual you can compare your computational statistics against every person who signs up and there are also team competitions. I don't know how exactly the Folding folks do their stuff in this regard but it can be a lot of fun to participate.

Looking at the Stanford Folding website I see that they do not yet have a DOS application so my previous post concerning that does not apply to the Folding project.

I hope this brief explanation has helped. Have a nice day.

David

Edited by oftentired