Change Mode

Intel 4.0ghz P4 Plans Dropped

THERE WON'T NOW be a version of the Pentium 4 running at 4GHz, Intel has confirmed to the INQUIRER today.

According to a representative we spoke to at Intel this evening, the reason is part of its strategy shift to offering CPUs based not on frequency but on features such as additional cache, eventually dual cores, and other elements such as front side bus speeds.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19089

Wow, personally, I'm kinda surprised :o

Go AMD!

If Intel is supposedly the best, then how come they're copying off of AMD??? ;)

i think it's the other way around... AMD has been piggy backing off intel for a long time.. and from what i understand, intel has had the knowledge on 64bit chips long before AMD, but since there wasnt a market for it, didnt persue it

i think it's the other way around... AMD has been piggy backing off intel for a long time..  and from what i understand, intel has had the knowledge on 64bit chips long before AMD, but since there wasnt a market for it, didnt persue it

Yeah, but 32+64bit??? That was AMD all the way.

Also, AMD chose to innovate, instead of using pure speed as a selling point.

Also, 64bit chips 1st came out in 1996, long before Itanium thought of coming out.

Edited by brandon

intel has been around for 36 years.

http://www.intel.com/intel/anniversary/?iid=search&

(that says 35 because its from 2003)

AMD has been around for 35 years (WOW BIG DIFFERENCE)

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/AboutAM...ml?redir=GIHM24

If intel truely had the 64 bit thing, then why didn't they release it? They released the 386 in 1985 or something around there, which was a 32 bit processor (may have also been 16 bit, not sure), which was LONG before a 32 bit OS came around (windows 95 was the first i think).

heres something else:

http://www.digital-daily.com/editorial/amd...plate=print.htm

found it on google. not sure what its about quite yet though.

"On December 30 1994 the Supreme Court of California denies the AMD's right for using the i386's microcode. Right after that AMD and Intel conclude an agreement which gives AMD the right to produce and sell microprocessors containing the microcodes of Intel 287, 386, and 486. So, that was the end of the story. The Pentium got onto the shelves and AMD announced plans on creation of the K5. That was a point of time when pathes of both companies took their own ways. "

AMD completely branched off from using anything about intel in 1994 (well they "took their own ways").

Edited by mariol90

HardOCP has a jpg of an internal memo telling employees they have dropped the 4GHz cpu off the roadmap.

I bet AMD as a company is popping champagne bottles this evening.

Lack of a higher speed CPU pretty much gaurentees AMD as the fastest CPU available for a while as AMD raises their core on the 90nm process.

That's a pretty big concession for Intel.

Edited by Ed Downing

nobody uses more than arround 3.4ghz anyway...there is no need for all this power!!...its not used.

AMD clocked on to this ages ago and concentrated on other technologies and there cpu's are just as good (if in some cases better than Intels) at 2ghz neva mind 4ghz for god sake....were all power mad!

If u put that extra cash into a decent graphics card ude be flying! :)

Also, 64bit chips 1st came out in 1996, long before Itanium thought of coming out.

The AMD 64 is based on the X86 pltform. AMD and Intel still do have an agreement intact. AMD was almost out of buisness and would be today if it were not for an agreement with Intel. If the public had demanded a 64 bit chip, Intel would have produced one long ago.

I consider both to be good depending on need.

I am bulding an Intel 3.6 PCIe system and just to compare the two, I will be building an AMD system with an Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2 Cache, 939 Pin, Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939-NForce 3 Ultra Chipset MB and either 2 74 GB Raptors or 2 160 GB Seagate baracuda SATA2 HDs if they work good on here.

I'll use an X800XT PCIe on the Intel and an X800XT AGP on the AMD.

Then I'll test both against each other and see which one burns up first. :lol:

there is still no a huge demand for 64 bit anyway, how many people use there a64s in 64bit mode? if there was demand then it would have come around already people are happy with 32bit

there is still no a huge demand for 64 bit anyway, how many people use there a64s in 64bit mode? if there was demand then it would have come around already people are happy with 32bit

You know that is what was said when we all moved from 16bit to 32 bit computing.

The fact is that once the apps moved over to 32 bit everything was better, especially games and I'm a gamer.

In all practical purposes moving to 64 bit will a bigger jump than it's predecessor.

The hold up now is simply no market yet for commercial 64bit OS as software vendors haven't extensively moved apps in that direction yet, but they will. They are waiting for a higher percentage of PC platform for the 64bit to work on. It'll come, I assure you.

Are you trying to say I, the Don of the Punchinello Family am dumb?!?!?!

nah, im trying to say that since you seem to know everything.. and always take a step back to never look like youre wrong.. then maybe you shouldnt have let best buy build your computer...

never called you dumb.. ;)

nah, im trying to say that since you seem to know everything.. and always take a step back to never look like youre wrong..  then maybe you shouldnt have let best buy build your computer...

never called you dumb..  ;)

I was being sarcastic.

I never once edited my post, and it was quoted as-is.

Even with the :P, you still didn't get that I was being sarcastic.

I guess your sense of humor is as good as your comp's memory

Edited by brandon