Change Mode

Pc Wont Restart

Guest joeAmd64

Guest joeAmd64

when i go to restart my comp. it will log off windows but will not shut down and restart. it shuts down fine when i turn it off.

What I'd try first is to run MSCONFIG and remove everything from startup, hit the reset button to reboot and see if it still refused to shutdown. If so, I would start adding them one by one till I found the culprit.

-=Vran=-

Edited by Vranichou

when i go to restart my comp. it will log off windows but will not shut down and restart. it shuts down fine when i turn it off.

Hi joeAmd64,

If you go to the start of your summary & click on Test Details, scroll down to the blue/gray files & you will see these:

File Name Description

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe Sun Java Update

C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe MSN Messenger

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE Outlook email

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe ATI Hotkey Utility

C:\PROGRA~1\Belkin\BLUETO~1\BTSTAC~1.EXE

C:\Program Files\Belkin\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe

C:\Program Files\Belkin\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe

C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe

C:\Program Files\SmartBarXP BETA4.91\SmartBarXP.exe

C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\OPXPApp.exe

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Web Tools\CKA.exe

C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE Realtek Audio

C:\WINDOWS\system32\sbmthread.exe

Click on each one & you will get advice or a Google search. You can compare to Answers that Works' Task List Programs.

Your bandwidth seems a bit slow in download at 21Kbits/s. Might check with your ISP. ;)

If you have your XP installation CD, would suggest you try this. Click Start/Run & when the window open, type in sfc /scannow (Note there is a space between sfc & /). Do not try without the installation CD.

Would also suggest you get rid of the junk & IE temp files with CleanUp!. If you d/l, in options, make sure the indicator is on Standard Cleanup, then run.

Let us know how things go please.

Hawk :beer:

Your router or firewall can cause windows to behave a little strangly....for example when turning off my computer (Windows 2000, happens with all installations I have ever done) with zonealarm running, it takes much longer to shutoff. Before hitting restart, manually shutdown any antivirus or antispyware or firewall and see if it still happens.