Sign in to follow this  
8210GUY

Urgent Help Please

Basically I'm trying to help the mother of my kids friend who is terminally ill and needs this PC as her lifeline as she does her shopping etc online as she is unable to go out, it did have win 98 on it and was slow as anything and kept kicking her offline, so I said I'd have a look for her and put 2k on it for her, well found 6 virii which I deleted and loaded 2k fine with all updates etc but I'm having a hell of a job wiyth drives, mainly the graphics one although the ethernet is eluding me as well although I got the modem driver to work after trying to find one for a good few hours (while looking for the others too), but the graphics ones I've found either don't do anything or they stop at 70% with comments about missing files, I have tried the drivers from pcchips (don't seem to do anything) and from sis (gets to 70% and stops) both directly from their respective sites so I don't know what I'm missing or doing wrong, the system is near prehistoric but it's all she has for now, any thoughts about what to try ? I've tried everything I can think of apart from if theres an uncorrupted (assuming it is in the first place) driver around somewhere so any help would be gratefully received. :help:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=80E39W87FYRSBGQE

on that slow on a machine withthat little memory I'd serouisly suggest going back to 98.

W3K needs more memory, also the internet speed looks OK. the NT base simply may not have the files to run the graphics on a cyrix based mobo. if thers a vga lock make sure its unchecked, also check for kernal mode problems. (just guessing here though.)

I have an old Gateway that originally came with Windows 95 on it. We put Windows 98 on it probably 5 years ago and it's been working great, the Gateway drivers load without a problem. I put Windows 2000 Professsional on it and had all kinds of problems. First, I had no sound and would never have sound as the drivers for the soundcard installed on this computer are not compatible with Win2k, the manufacturer doesn't make drivers for this card that are compatible with Win2k. Secondly, I had yellow ! in my Device Manager because Win2k didn't quite know how to react to all that old hardware and was having a difficult time allocating resources for them. I ended up putting Windows 98se back on it and POOF! no more problems.

Sorry I didn't have an answer you might have liked a little better than the one I gave, but I think compatibility issues might be at work here. -kd5-

Thanks for the reply's, if I have to I'll put 98se back on, but thought 2k would be more secure for her as she uses her cards online, since I posted I've managed to get the ethernet card installed via a windows update of all places :blink: lol so there is only the graphics driver needed now, the files I've found are clearly for 2k so theoretically should work, as I've got so far I'd rather not give up too soon as I truely feel 2k will be much safer for her as she really doesn't need any more hassle such as her card details getting out by some idiot chancer, so I'll hang back a bit longer in the hope of a solution so any further thoughts are welcomed but Thanks for your input so far. :beer:

Could you explain what to check there please rja ? I don't know exactly what you mean or where to look/check what you've suggested, Thanks.

Guest lavinpj1

on that slow on a machine withthat little memory I'd serouisly suggest going back to 98

My PC is 300MHz Pentium 2 with 128MB RAM and works fine on XP.

Some of the older Cyrix chips had problems running XP/2K so it might be best to go back to Win98.

If it were my system and I couldn't upgrade the memory, I'd make sure it was totally patched and dump ZoneAlarm, then add SpywareBlaster for safety. You don't need ZA sucking up memory. Install a virus scanner like AVG but don't use the real time protection, just have it scan every day or so.

TBH upgrading the memory on such a system is a waste of money IMHO, you could probably get a newer 2nd hand system for not much more than the memory would probably cost, I'm still hoping for a miracle lol, but from what you've all said so far it's not looking good, I daren't not give her a firewall given she has no option but to use her cards online so she needs every bit of protection she can get, I was going to load the rest of the protection once the drivers were loaded, but with just the video driver in need now it's not looking that good. :mrsgreen:

Update :-

I've noted down the errors I get while installing what would seem to be the correct driver for the graphics, I've searched google and couldn't find anything that made a lot of sense to me, I'm hoping they may inspire a possible solution from someone who may of come across this or similar before. :erm:

1st error at 70% =

UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices: Error

And

2nd error straight after =

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SiS630 can't be found

After displaying these errors it just closes, does this give any inspiration to a possible cure ? :erm:

Aida32 says it is, I'm downloading several of the drivers there in the hope that one of them will work, if they fail I'll pull it out and have a look inside for confirmation and report back, Thanks for the thought. :beer:

OK numerous drivers tried and none worked, pulled it out and looked inside and found the following on various chips incase it helps.

sis950 mcb30cx5 0001bw and in subscript b1

686 amibios al28 7830

hsp56 cmi8738pci hrtf audio com m3z81-037c 0026uggc <-- modem I'm guessing which is ok

ams 3406(possibly8 instead of 6)3p 0028c

ams 1084cm 0031

and on the corner of the M/B m758 lmr rev 1.8

not sure if any of that helps although it seems to support aida32, but my guess is things aren't looking to promising. :mrsgreen:

Guest Maico

To tell ya the truth man instead of downloading and reinstalling so many different drivers and files i would just save everything u absolutly need from the comp onto cds or floppys. I would next totally erase everything on the computer by rewriting it to zeros. This will bring the computer back to the first day u purchased it with an definate assurance that there are no viruses or drivers that would malifunction and cause more problems for ya. Its either that or purchase a new system. You can get a great system nowadays for around 400 bucks if u really look. Hope this helps pal good luck.

OK I have now reverted back to 98se, talk about reminders as to why I hate it, must of frozen out a few dozen times while trying to get the drivers and that, but all loaded now (apart from software that is) and hasn't froze since, so far anyway, hopefully it will stay that way but I wont be putting any money on it :woot:

Anyway here is the latest test incase anyone can see room for improvement as I've not use 98se for so long, obviously a new system is a must as I've already told her, but that aside for now and not buying anything for this machine (as it isn't worth it if she will upgrade soon) is there any room for improvement ? bearing in mind security is an essential requirment given her curcumstances, I will load all the reccomended software commonly mentioned on trhis site such as spyware blaster etc, but is that all that can be done or is there anything more in the settings etc ? Thanks for the help so far anyway. :)

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=SJZ39WXCLZRSCAQE

Like to make a comment before I even look at the results: Windows 98se shouldn't have frozen.....not once.....during the installation. If Windows 98se would've frozen on me during the installation, I would've either reformatted twice in a row then re-instsalled, or fdisked and reformatted again, then re-installed. I don't think I'd have felt comfortable at all, knowing that it froze during re-installation. That would've bugged me until I did something about it... :P -kd5-

If you have Spybot, you can delete KHOOKER.EXE and MIXER.EXE:

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

and with only 128mb of RAM (112mb available to Windows) I don't think I'd have Diskeeper running at Startup. I realize you probably need Zonealarm to run at Startup but there's a 3% CPU usage I'm hoping will be addressed by deleting KHOOKER & MIXER from the Startup, and disabling Diskeeper from running at Startup as well.

I realize that security is foremost on your mind here, but I'm not so sure I'd have put IE6 on that computer. With limited resources such as those, I'd have been sorely tempted to upgrade the native IE5 to Internet Explorer 5.01 sp2. It will give her 128-bit encryption, it'll use less resources and be less bulky than IE6, and it will render a web page faster, with that particular configuration.

And speaking of Diskeeper Lite, I think I'd have done these instead:

http://members.cox.net/scotterpops/enhance...ncements9c.html

CAUTION: THIS IS A LINK TO A DIRECT DOWNLOAD:

http://www.powerdefrag.com/download/pdc210B2.exe (the last and best freeware version of Power Defrag)

I think I'd be sorely tempted to throw another 128mb stick of RAM in there.

And that's about all I can think of. Best of luck on this project... ;) -kd5-

Is that winme defrager any better or as good as dklite ? I assume it uses less resources hence your reccomendation there, just wondering if it does as good a job, so far dklite has been running fine but again will set it to manual when I get that far, as to the other defrag I know some really like it but as it isn't free (only a trial) I wont bother with that one but thanks anyway, and with the memory I'd rather she got a better system than buy some ram as I know a new system is on her list of things to get so it's better to nurse this along for now and put the money for new ram to a better system altogether IMHO.

I know I have still got a load of tweaking to do with the start up list but I'll go through that with perfect process a step at a time after everything else is loaded, but the processes you mention were part of cemedia and sis driver installations but knew niether need to be running at start up by looking at the test, probably set them to manual when I get to there if spybot doesn't remove them or disable them depending on what the program suggests, as to the freezing it wasn't during the install or I would of done what you said you would of done, same thoughts on that really, if you have that much trouble that early on then the future isn't worth thinking about lol :lol: but it was while going online and downloading the drivers the freezes occured, I f'disked when I installed to give the cleanest install I could and it went fine, but had to re-download some drivers several times before I got a clean uninterupted download to assure a good file, but since loading these it hasn't froze, and TBH I'm pushing the system a bit now to see if it will hang again, currently I'm running an online scan at panda playing a card game and replying here at the same time, so far so good, Thanks for everyones help here, it looks like I've done pretty much (with everything I still have to do) that can be done for her now, just a case of hoping she can get something better sooner rather than later, Thanks ALL. :beer:

Regarding the WinME defrag: The advantage I found with it is that it runs about 10 times faster than the Win98 defrag. And as far as the link I posted to Power Defrag, that version is freeware. No trialware, no shareware, it's free.

Power Defrag not only enhances the Windows 98/ME defragmenter, but it also prompts you to reboot, then when Windows has begun to load but prior to any extraneous drivers and non-essential startup items loading, Power Defrag kicks in, defragments the hard drive, and when finished allows 98/ME to finish loading. So it's like defragmenting in Safe Mode every time you use it, and the WinME defragger in conjunction with Power Defrag works very well together: The WinME defragger makes it faster, Power Defrag makes it better. -kd5-

Ah right I didn't know there was a free version of that defrag, I'd only ever seen the pay for/trial ones before, Thanks downloaded it and will have a play shortly, as to the other one I downloaded it but do I need to follow the instructions for deleteing the 98se one ? (just wondering as it says about me ?) but TBH I haven't even run the inbuilt ones since coming here and finding out about dklite on anything I've had.

I'll download that ie in a sec then uninstall v6 and install that one, I assume by the way you said about it that it's just as secure as v6 ? no security holes that need updating or anything via win update as per v6 ?

I do have an upgrade version of win me (runs and hides lol :bag: ), honestly that was from the days where I knew nothing about this stuff, but I mention it while hiding from any projectiles coming my way for thinking this but thought I'd ask if it would be of any help here :shrug:

OK re-read the info from the defrag page now I've had some sleep (eyes were closing up first time round lol) and installed as per, but they wouldn't see each other so I uninstalled both of them and reverted back to dklite as it seems to work fine even if not the ideal choice.

I did the ie swap and ran windows update and selected ALL critical updates except ie6 and downloaded them, rescanned and there was another critical update (823559) but it wont install, it says it did but a rescan keeps saying it's need in what seems to be a never ending circle, I'm starting to assume this update may require ie6 to be used properly ? (future ref really)

I ran another pit test but unfortunately it picked up on 3 security risks including an active x one, I had a quick try to try and resolve them but got nowhere, and given time is running out as she needs this machine back ASAP I'm going to have to put ie6 back on as these risks didn't show when it was on, but Many Thanks for your help on this :beer:

One last quicky though, I'm reasonably sure theres a hardware fault on this as well somewhere, it took me nearly 30 minutes to turn it on this morning, the light came on the front but it wouldn't boot or turn off via holding the power button, I had to switch it off from the back each time, so basically I'm wondering if there is any free software about to check for hardware faults ? assuming there is anything like that about :erm:

I have 98SE that I've been running for some years now, and never had a security problem when purchasing something on line. I think it's as secure as any other system when configured properly and with all the security updates installed. I also have had IE6 since it first came out, without any problems, so it does in fact "play well" with 98SE. Many others in the Pit, such as Ike, are running the same setup without any problems. You can also go to Add/Remove Programs, on the Windows Setup Tab and remove anything the lady does not need, in order to streamline it a bit more. You're to be commended highly for spending so much time helping this lady. :tup:

Well it helps me as much as it does her, but I must admit I'm prepared to go the extra mile for her whereas I'd of simply been satisfied with trying my best with others as she is like me in a lot of ways, in her case she isn't sposed to be here any more and in my case I'd of been in a wheelchair by now if I wasn't fighting, so we have a fair bit in common.

But as to her PC I'm fairly satisfied I'm not going to be able to do more for her with this system, but if there was some software to check out for hardware faults it would be a great help so I can try to sort that side of it for her, if for nothing more than to tell her how bad it might be, I have run a full thorough scandisk with the auto fix box checked and that came back clean, I'm thinking it's a power breakdown somewhere, but the psu's fan is spinning so I'm unsure, it would be nice to be able to check that out before taking it back if possible. :erm: