Change Mode

It Is Now Safe To Shut Down Computer?

beowulfmk

My old computer, which I plan to give my sister, has a problem with shut down. When I choose shut down, the computer wouldn't completely shut off. Instead, it shows the screen of "it is now safe to shut down computer." This is seven years old computer and has window 98 as OS. I cannot post test for this system as it is not on my hands now. Anyone have any idea to fix problem? Thank you.

Also, how do you delete history(What you've seen) on Media Player?

With the 9x Windows on older machines, wasn't it default to display the "It is now safe to shut down..." message and have the user turn off using the power button?

Now, of course almost all the machine's one comes across shut down automatically, if the user shuts them down at all and the power button turns off the comp if held down. If the computer is 7 years old, does it matter that you have to manually turn it off? Have we become this lazy?

If the comps 7 years old, it's probably going to have an old AT Power Supply in it. The newer ones have ATX.

AT Power supplies don't support auto-shutoff. You can solve it by buying an ATX power supply, but your motherboard has to be able to support it.

Some old boards support both, others only one. You need to look at the board to find out.

Just checked an old comp and it has both the AT and ATX power plugs.

If it used to work (and now doesn't), you definitely have an ATX power supply (unless it was replaced)

Got another idea:

ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) installed and functioning correctly?

Right Click My Computer, Properties.

Check the Device Tab. Make sure there arn't any Question Marks anywhere.

I can't check this (as I don't have a Win98 machine atm), but check within Power Options within the Control Panel. There might be a checkbox that says "Allow comp to switch off when shutting down"

But I don't have a Win98 machine to double check.

It is an ACPI issue. Many old motherboards didn't support it, so you had to physically shut them down.

I still have a couple old machines like that, it isn't broken and there is nothing you can do to change it.

Push the button, it isn't that painfull a thing to have to do.