Change Mode

Nforce3 250gb Motherboards

X_C

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ronnie I'm still using the orig. bios that came on my board. It's dated 8/27/04 I think. Do you have a link to the bios you are using. Is it one of the modded bios? What improvements are you seeing with it.

Using 3 drives I'm using a stripe of 128 and getting consistant scores of 400+ for I/0.

Shogan check this out, its the lastest beta bios 10/15 with memtest built in.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=2237

I'm running 9/14, for some reason the newest bios killed my I/O scores so I switched back thanks to Raymo for pointing out the "simple things"

The two things that 9/14 has is added vdimm up to 4V if your crazy enough and the ability to disable CPU Thermal Throttlin.

Next install try a stripe size of 32k and see if you I/O increases any.

Edit: I guess it would help if I posted the beta bios.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ght=9%2F14+bios

Edited by ronniecoleman

Thanks ronnie. Yep, that's the one I saw. I'm not having any trouble with throttling so will keep the one you switched back to on file for use if I do. Have you been able to oc enough to offset the points gained from using 4 drives in raid?

I hope you say yes because otherwise the competition is actually going to hold us back from ocing. LOL.

Hey ronnie. I just took my 3700+ off of the Vapo. I can tell you that it does make a difference. On the Vapo with no effort I could go 245 when using 2 drives in raid. and could go to about 235 using more than two drives.

Using the stock fan and heatsink I'm getting 215. LOL It'll boot 220 but it's not stable.

I've decided these 754s are great stock chips. It's hard to get excited about a 2.4 cpu hitting 2.9 or even 3.0. I guess I could pull the stock HS and use one of my thermalrights. I'll give that a try tomorrow. I was just thrilled to get it pulled off the Vapo and installed in the new case without doing a complete reinstall.

I'm wondering if the residual waterproofing ( dielectric grease) is raising temps. Got as much as I could off the cpu and socket. :)

Well I've decided for certain to sell the DFI nf3 250 and the 3700+ cpu. It overclocks pretty good on the vapo but is limited on air. I don't think it's a bad chip. It think that is just the nature of these cpus. I already have the A8V from Asus. I imagine I will get the FX55. I'm hearing that at least it is strained silicon so that should help it. The only thing I've heard about the 90nm and the FX55 is that there isn't one. LOL When is it supposed to be released. I'm going to check things over at extreme this weekend and see what's shaking with them. I believe there are two members there that have the FX55 already.

XC what are they? Don't be hoggin em. :mrgreen:

Hey ronnie. If you ask me, maxing out the 754 on air is akin to goosin a Fiat. Using the stock heatsink I wasn't able to get diddley out of mine. Again it was great at stock but just not an air ocer. I was also kinda disappointed in the results of using all the options in the bios. They all worked but I just didn't see that much of an increase in performance due to the changes. Seems to me there should be a corresponding increase when going from 2.5-3-3- to 2-2-2 but I was never able to measure any. I could get to 245x12=2940 without much effort but never pushed it it to see if I could get past the 3.0 mark. I know you said something about getting another cpu hoping it would oc better but I think I'm moving on to something else.

This is very interesting. I have an HP Pavilion zv5255us laptop that uses the nforce 3 chipset and an AMD64 3400+ CPU. The disk I/O speed is not what I would expect and I upgraded to a Hitachi 7K60 7200 rpm hard drive. It sounds like I may have figured out how to get the hard drive read speeds up where they should be. Thanks.