Change Mode

Nforce3 250gb Motherboards

X_C

Hi Guys,

I have been visiting my favorite websites and found so many people having problems with thier NF3 systems that I began to investigate, this is what I have found. No matter what make, many were complaining of I/O problems, video problems and blue screens. So I began to ask how they installed everything after installing windows. I was amazed as to how many did the install improperly, so I decided to list a proper install, many of you may have done this correctly but this is for those that did not.

Please check the list and see if you followed this list to the letter:

Installing support software on your NF3 250 system:

1) Install windows and RAID drivers using F6 command, you need to install both raid driver and storage controller driver for raid to work and be reconized properly

2) After windows instal, place in motherboard CD and install DX9 b or c (if your cd does not include it, then follow instauctions 2a)

2a) (If you installed DX9, disreguard this part) Click install chipset drivers, select to only install network driver and nothing else, then a firewall and plug in inetrnet connection, once installed, download and install DX9 b or c

3) Install chipset drivers for NF3 including IDE

4) Now format remaining partitions that windows has not formatted for you

5) begin to install all other drivers as needed.

The DX9 is essential for the NF3 drivers to operate properly, if you have not done this first, you may harm your hardware even if you installed DX9 after the NF3 drivers. DX9 must be first.

NEW UPDATE

Asus, MSI and many other manufactures that use the same NVidia RAID configuration are finding problems with the NVidia RAID continually enabling the SMART function on your HDDS! After 12 hours after first instrall of windows, the controller will enable SMART, this will drastically reduce your HDD's Write Speeds to almost 60% of READ.

I am discussing this with Asus now but they do not know when a BIOS update will be available to correct this issue.

They are trying to talk me into running the SIL RAID instead. :rolleyes:

E-Mail From ASUS:

Dear Friend :

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is ZYC, and I would be assisting you today.

You know K8N-E has onboard nVIDIA RAID and Silicon Image 3114r raid system ,

which one you used to create RAID ?

if i were you ,i will like to use SI3114 chip .

Thank you for using ASUS products and services!

If you have any problem about our products, you can visit our support site below to search the solution at the first time!

:lol::lol:

I hope this helps you all, let me know if it does.

X_C

Edited by Xtreme_Computing

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its very good, one thing I like the most is the BIOS reminds me of my P4P800 E P4 BIOS, so Im more familur with it.

One bad, only gives my an option of 2.7 DRAM so I have to wait for the BIOS update coming to get up to 2.9+

And yes, if you loaded DX9 after the chip software, this would explain your I/O problems. :)

Everyone I have told this to has seen thier system get rock solid and some have broke the 230fsb barrier using the SATA 1 & 2 ports in RAID.

Should add to that ..you need to install both raid driver and storage controller driver for raid to work and be reconized properly

Done, thanks onecool. :beer:

I have a quick fix for you:

Go into MOBO BIOS and on the first page, scroll down to your first SATA Master and press enter, then change it to say "Auto", this will allow you to disable SMART

Do this to each of your SATAs and reboot, enter BIOS again and scoll down to SATA master again and disable "Auto" and reboot.

After rebooting, run the Pit Test, you will only have about 5 minutes then NVidia will enable Smart again. :rolleyes:

Short term solution, BIOS updates will get rid of this later.

X_C

I wonder if theres a work around in the driver that can fix it?

I've been looking for days now and can't find a way to turn it off. Let me know if anyone else can.

X_C

Just so you all know, I'm in talks with NVidia today, I spent about an hour on the phone yesturday, with thier tech support about these issues. They seem very interested in what has been happening with our systems and they have viewed this thread (I sent them the link) and the thread from the DFI site.

I will keep you posted, they are right now setting up a system as close to mine as they can and testing the I/O problems.

Hopefully, this will result in a BIOS update or controller update to fix our problems. I hope so, I get my fourth drive today. ;)

X_C

I'm rather confused what DX9 has to do with the drives anyway?

Oh well

I have a NF3 Ultra coming Friday.

I also wrote an unattended install with the drivers included using service pack 2 as well. (THAT INCLUDES dx9C as well)

Should be interesting to see how it works.

Ed

Edited by Ed Downing

Let me know how it works out for you Ed.

X_C

I definately will

I'm getting the Epox nFORCE3-Ultra EP-9NDA3+

I understand it's a good board with working locks, but doesn't have a lot of voltage options for the cpu, an updated BIOS is supposed to fix that issue.

Just checked FedEx it should be here today...

To bad I work the next 4 days..

I should have replaced the A8V earlier, it hosed one of my Raptors last night.

I'll be RMA'ing it as well. sigh

Edited by Ed Downing

Loaded windows then DX9 and had no problems except temps reading wrong...

XC... I'll pin this for you :mrgreen:

Thanks Raymo, about your temps, a bios update will take care of that. :tup:

Oh, by the way, welcome to the AMD side :shifty: It's different and a little tricky to get use to once you've been using a P4 system for so long. :rolleyes: