Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Countrydave55

I Guess We Knew It Was A Matter Of Time

Guest Deuces Wild

And your point is?

The schools where I live implemented those procedures after the Columbine incident. IMO, it's reasonable steps to insure a safe learning environment for our children, whether the threat to their safety be from drug dealers, terrorists, pedophiles or depressed students/individuals.

The Education Department is advising school leaders nationwide to watch for people spying on their buildings or buses to help detect any possibility of terrorism like the deadly school siege in Russia.

I understood his point....

Guest Deuces Wild

And that is news? They have been all along, especially after Columbine and 9-11.

Again, I miss the point other than to try to make this political.

Schools across the country have implemented tighter security controls since 2001.

Possibly the topic was brought up for discussion as yet one more thing to think about.....another threat of violence against our kids in schools.

Guest Deuces Wild

OK. Point accepted. Just wanted to make sure this was not another Bush bashing thread. ;)

The schools in our area have been on alert status since Columbine and the World Trade Center events--- these people are educators, and have the smarts to know when extra alertness is needed.

Making a big play at this time is pure politics--- the school personel who need "extra alert status" need to be removed from their jobs--- the politican who issued the alert to gain favor and votes--- also needs to be removed from his job.

:angry::angry:

the politican who issued the alert to gain favor and votes--- also needs to be removed from his job.

There ya go DW...ya got your bash wish :blink:

these people are educators, and have the smarts to know when extra alertness is needed.

Making a big play at this time is pure politics--- the school personel who need "extra alert status" need to be removed from their jobs--- the politican who issued the alert to gain favor and votes--- also needs to be removed from his job.

I disagree. Our educators do not seem to be so "smart".

Our school systems are not about education, they are about sports and extracurricular activities, that's why the US is lagging behind so dismally in education. It isn't a funding problem, it is a focus problem.

Guest Deuces Wild

There ya go DW...ya got your bash wish :blink:

The reason for the original post to this thread was obvious. Same old...same old....... :lol:

In as much that our "educators" are hired by people we all voted for--- schoolboards ---it seems that some are getting "votes" worth in school personel.

I voted my school board into office and thay have done a good job--- because they know people like me are taking the time to watch over their shoulder.----

It takes involvement in the community to get the best from public servants--- and complainers still don't get that much attention--- unless the complaint has merit.

:mrgreen:

Guest fragged one

it's all bush's fault! :angry:

;)

In as much that our "educators" are hired by people we all voted for--- schoolboards ---it seems that some are getting "votes" worth in school personel.

I voted my school board into office and thay have done a good job--- because they know people like me are taking the time to watch over their shoulder.----

It takes involvement in the community to get the best from public servants--- and complainers still don't get that much attention--- unless the complaint has merit.

:mrgreen:

Very true.

So they have done a good job? I am glad to hear that. I hope that means they aren't paying a coach 70K or more and permitting players to miss exams and get assigned grades. Check into it, you might be very disappointed.

I have been active in my daughter's school myself.

Security has been ratcheted up starting next week. Probably due to religious holidays and certainly because the election is getting near. It is just unfortunate that schools are now seen as target. I do think that such an attack could prove to be a mistake and I am hoping that terrorists recognize this.

The schools where I live implemented those procedures after the Columbine incident. IMO, it's reasonable steps to insure a safe learning environment for our children, whether the threat to their safety be from drug dealers, terrorists, pedophiles or depressed students/individuals.

That brings up a good point. At the present moment, we're taking measures to prevent terrorist attacks. However, in matters of school shootings and such, we'd be better off protecting ourselves from each other. People at a young age have a tendency to just lose it, never thinking about the consequences that will inevitably come of it. It's really very sad when you think about it. :mrsgreen:

not that schools weren't ALREADY physically and emotionally unsafe...

Bah.....registration required

Iraq CD has U.S. schools data

From Wire Reports

WASHINGTON - Federal law enforcement authorities notified school districts in six states last month that a CD found by the U.S. military in Iraq contained crisis-planning information about their schools, two U.S. officials said Thursday.

The downloaded information found in Iraq in July -- all publicly available on the Internet -- included an Education Department report guiding schools on how to prepare and respond to a crisis, one official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The official said FBI agents in the areas mentioned in the downloaded material -- Georgia, Florida, Michigan, New Jersey, Oregon and California -- went to those school districts about three weeks ago to inform education officials there.

He said there were serious questions about whether the military's find in July represented any threat; for instance, it could have come from someone innocently involved in civic planning, specifically school planning.

The CD contained an Education Department report called "Practical Information on Crisis Planning: A Guide for Schools and Communities," published in May 2003, as well as photos and floor plans.

In a separate but more widespread warning issued this week, the Education Department advised school leaders nationwide to watch for people spying on their buildings or buses to help detect any possibility of terrorism like the deadly school siege in Russia.

The department has advised schools to: watch for strangers spying on buildings; install locks on doors and windows; and limit visitor access -- all efforts to deter a terrorist attack.

The notice comes after a U.S. review of a school siege in Russia last month that left more than 300 dead.

Federal officials said that the government routinely shares "lessons learned" bulletins with local and state officials and that there is no immediate threat to education facilities.

From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram