Change Mode

And that post caused all of this :blink:

I only went there twice but if that little post caused all of this then I say good by to em.

What should have taken place and it is apparent that it did not was some comunication between the original poster and the mod and if that did not work then communication with an Admin.

Any Mod who refused to talk about any post edit or removal should not be a mod period.

Edited by The Bear
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

As someone that followed Moon's recomendation to Windows Forum, I am not going to say much about this, except to say that the easiest way to lose Members for any Forum is to allows the Mods to do whatever they want and not make them accountable for their actions.

I have not been there for quite some time now, and don't intend to! The same applies for my Family and friends!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::rolleyes::lol:

Edited by Drovers Dog
Guest Deuces Wild

I'v known Moon for many years and posted thousands of times with him on various forums and have never seen him cause one single bit of trouble. ever

I would agree 100% with that statement Volt. His only flaw seems to be his passion for living with squirrels. :lol:

Well im glad i have not been there at all. I have seen places like that before, it is a bad situation to run off all your posters, that defeats the purpose of haveing a forum doesnt it?

:)

Yep, Bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face?

:mrgreen::mrgreen::rolleyes::lol:

Don't take you long to figure stuff out huh Tracy?? lol

You can yak all ya want,,don't want to see any threads on them untill they explain how come they worship hitler over there.

Don't you think the nazi accusation is a bit harsh? :lol: What exactly did you post about anyway?

Don't you think the nazi accusation is a bit harsh? :lol: What exactly did you post about anyway?

Abit maybe :mrgreen: so pick any dictator ya want.the fact remains they were dead wrong and I called them on it.

And they didn't much care for it

Left a copy of my post up there ^^^ aways :mrgreen: vj

I do not see how anyone can call moon a troll, I have read his post there and it was a very fair question that was not trying to cause any trouble at all. Moon has got to be one of the most thoughful and well spoken members I have ever seen, he is very strongly opinionated but expresses himself in a manner that is non offensive

Posted Image <-------- Troll

Posted Image <-------- Moon

Posted Image doesn't equal Posted Image

They called Moon a troll?! I'd like to see them try to post here! :lol: Well, I read your post Volt, and it checks out fine with me. Those people need to get their act together, or close down their forum.

Thanks for starting this thread V. Many WF members are also Pit regulars and they need to be able to see the truth of what has happened over there despite the best efforts of certain WF mods to conceal it.

As a seasoned troll myself, I was amazed to see Moon labelled as such. Trolling is an art form but unlike Moon we don't use brushes :lol:

Bush sucks, Kerry sucks less :P

Let's put the record straight.

Windows Forum was an excellent site, until recently, which I've recommended to many, many peeps. It has some fine members and fine staff, with the exception of two fairly new moderators.

Quite suddenly, peoples posts began to disappear without explanation, mine included. One or two posts appeared in which members began to complain about the atmosphere there. In an effort to stop the rot I posted a simple and polite poll, the first poll I have ever posted, anywhere. This was not 'trolling' nor any attempt to cause disruption.

The poll simply asked for the site staff to alter the rules within the site so that deletions within threads, or editing , were signed by the mod concerned with a short explanation. It read;

Should the actions of moderators remain anonymous ?

Should individual moderators be visible?

The poll was at 80% to 20% in favour of a rule change when the thread was closed by one of the moderators in question with an insult to me and a message that he would not be available to discuss it.

Threads that appeared complaining of this treatment were immediately closed, then deleted. My own attempts to exercise my right to respond were blocked and I was issued with a 'warning for disruption'

Make of that what you will.

Nellie2 and I got our heads together by PM. She removed the block on my posting but I declined to post there immediately, telling her that I would prefer to take a months holiday from WF. That was the end of my involvement until this 'trolling' remark.

I have never posted anything resembling 'trolling', never posted anything worthy of editing nor deletion. Imo, and yesterday's actions bear this out, an atmosphere of 'us and them' has developed between moderators and members. My request for a little more courtesy towards members has resulted in this split. Obviously, I will no longer be returning to WF and my apologies to those that joined on my recommendation. It was a different site at the time.

It was me that set up the 'sister site' relationship with WF and it is only fair to say that it was a very successful experiment. This tiff should not prevent good relationships developing between different sites, although I personally won't be taking any further part in this one. :lol:

They sound like some pretty dimwitted moderators. The mods here explain why they've deleted a thread, and go out of their way to speak individually with the thread posters. Maybe we can boycott their forum until the new mods get kicked! Anyone with me?

Don't really see the need for a boycott,,they need to take a long hard look at how they do things over there,,and perhaps a few of the folks doing it.

I like the forum and the members there,,some very interesting folks on that board,,I read it often and admire the British wit and sense of humor.

But when I read the 2 closed threads it set me to a hard hot boil,,and seeing no other way to let folks know how I felt I started the one that was removed. couple of people think all this should have been handled via PMs,,I disagree with that completely.

Its just not my style,,I like letting members have their say on the open forums as much as possible,,its all out front then.

Anyway sorry for any ruffled feathers but I just had to do what felt right.

Moon and Volt are two of my very favorite people (I'de say I love them but they have ladies who might not like it) :mrwinky: Can't even imagine that they would go off half cocked about a topic.

Now there are two ways for a forum to go bad:

1. mods that aren't responsible to members and admin

2. members that think they own a website and act that way

In both cases a failure of admin to keep control. Every change to a members post should be signed, if they don't want to explain in the post why it was edited then a PM is in order. To change a members post and refuse to talk about it is rude and very small minded.

Personally I don't consider any of the comments made here to be flame wars but a sincere effort to air a problem in an open way.

Moon and Volt are two of my very favorite people (I'de say I love them but they have ladies who might not like it)  Can't even imagine that they would go off half cocked about a topic.

Posted Image To their women :P

I love 'em both and don't care who knows it Posted Image

It has some fine members and fine staff, with the exception of two fairly new moderators.

Don't go over there so really have no idea what it is like.... But this comment IMO about sums it up..... I have seen it happen many times when a "regular" member becomes a "mod"......

They think that (m)od is spelt (g)od.... and go on a little power trip...and it lasts usually until the members "complain" enough that the admins finally do something about it and bring that (g)od back down to (m)od..........

:blank:

I love 'em both and don't care who knows it

I love 'em both too. :wub::P jv

I agree with mouse (even tho she ermm likes volt :lol: ) the buck stops with the forum Admin, a team is only as strong as its weakest link and that should be dealt with openly.

Nellie2 is a dead on ladie. All the moderators except a certain northaperson and an ex. mod are dead on. I havent spoke to craig that much but seems ok... But that one mod has caused me a great deal of annoyance. And i am easy going :o. They basically caused my forum to fold( is still up but is goin down down down wowowo (sorry got carried away) ) I am still pretty :filtered: at this and would love to be able to do the same to their forum. I do not want to fal out with anyone on WF but northaperson get a life. I am going to be asking all my computer questions here from now on...

I SEE THE LIGHT lol :P

I didn't even know that there was a Windows Forum. Like I'd use it anyways now. There's enough people here at the Pit to help. When I have a Win98 problem (still have a comp that has Win98 that gf's family is borrowing), I have a Win98 tech book.

True enough, shadow, and the Pit is my spiritual home. The advantages of WF were that they are a Brit site, and therefore open when most of the Pit talent are in the Land of Nod, available to point peeps towards UK components and prices and also, like Volt says, have some good talent of their own and a sense of humour. It's sad that a loose cannon or two can quickly throw a spanner in the cogs but that's no longer my problem. I did my best to influence the direction it was headed and I hope they now take stock of themselves. I'm not a PM person either, makes me feel a tad like Gollum. :lol: