Call to Arms!!

chengrob

Guest moncur

Thanks for your response. I still have no idea how The Quotations Page got onto your list. Why would GAIN show ads for our page if we didn't pay for them?

Let me reiterate: We have never paid Gator to advertise. We have never paid Overture to advertise. We haven't spent money on advertising in several years at all. No ads for The Quotations Page should show up on GAIM or Overture or anywhere else.

I run a content-based site. We don't do any e-commerce, and we've found that any money spent on advertising doesn't translate into enough traffic to bother with.

You may also want to double-check why bartleby.com is on your list. I am not associated with them (except that they're my #1 competitor) but they don't seem like the type to spend money on Gator or Overture advertising.

Look at your boycott list - every site listed there has something to sell. We don't. We run a simple content site and have no reason to run CPC advertisements. (I keep saying 'we' but it's only myself and my wife. This is not a company.)

My guess is that GAIM did a search for "quotes" or "quotations" and showed unpaid results piped in from Google or Altavista or somewhere, and you mistook them for paid results. (My site and bartleby.com are the top results for these searches.)

Please double-check your methodology and get me off your list. You've listed my email address on a public page and this is going to get me tons of spam and viruses, not to mention misinformed complaints from PCPitstop users. Doing this without any evidence or verification is very irresponsible.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree,,remove the link to moncurs site right away,,I can't get it to popup at all on gators scout popup.

Google lists him right on top,,and its a very nice site,,even saved it to my favorites.

I don't know for sure how it got listed?? but I may figure it out yet. :) v

Guest moncur

Thanks! Do let me know if my site pops up for any reason, because I'd have an angry letter to write to Gator. :huh:

I appreciate PC Pitstop's rational response to this issue. Keep up the fight against spyware, I'll even participate.

Thanks! Do let me know if my site pops up for any reason, because I'd have an angry letter to write to Gator. :huh:

I appreciate PC Pitstop's rational response to this issue. Keep up the fight against spyware, I'll even participate.

I will moncur no worries,,It may have just been a flatout mistake on my part tho.

This gator software gets really insidious at times,,and If I had your site loaded on the taskbar from a previous search I may have just copied the url to it and it was a boo boo.

We used to have threads going that folks would post their favorite quotes,,and that may be how your site found its way to my taskbar. ;) v

Moncur,

Done. I have updated the page boycott list page and tomorrow morning Dave will promote the changes to be live. Thanks for your patience. One thing that we all have in common is that we all see the underlying Gator problem and want to do something about it.

Rob

Guest moncur

Thanks again, no worries.

When you're ready to go public with the boycott list, let me know - I'll post a link on my page to get the issue some attention.

Thanks again, no worries.

When you're ready to go public with the boycott list, let me know - I'll post a link on my page to get the issue some attention.

Good deal on the link moncur!! and again thank you for being so understanding on this very young operation. sorry for the confusion on the matter tho!! :) v

Nate my guess is Apple is alot like microsoft,,you may get run around in circles when trying to find out who to talk to about any "one" subject.

But if ya keep after it,,you will succeed,,none of this is gouing to be easy,,hell I knew that going in.

I will be shot up,,made fun of,,all kinds of nasty stuff can and most likely will happen.

But I'm in this for the long haul,,and it may indeed be a very long haul,,they got lots of dollars to throw around and I don't. but unlike gator I do know right from wrong on most anything,,and they don't. :) v

Hi NeatNate,

What we need more than anything else are email addresses. The other stuff we can backfill later, but for the campaign to be as effective as possible, we need as many of the email addresses filled into the boycott list as possible.

Please check it out at http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/boycott.asp

All,

Here is the rewritten letter that is also posted on the site. I am pasting a copy here. We're still taking suggestions and we are getting very close to launching on the site.

<Date>

Dear Company,

This letter is to inform your company that some of its online advertising are being delivered by GAIN (Gator Advertising Network),a common form of spyware. Spyware (also called adware), installs itself, most often without user knowledge, and delivers advertising based on the user's browsing habits. These applications often negatively impact system performance and reliability.

By advertising directly or indirectly with Gator, your company is contributing to the spread of spyware, as well as slower and less reliable PC's. PC Pitstop has begun a campaign to make advertisers aware of the negative aspects of using spyware for web advertising. For more information about spyware and its effects on a user's PC and privacy, please see the PC Pitstop site.

Forbes has reported that last year, Gator was a $100M company. If your company is not doing business directly with Gator, it is highly likely that one of your online marketing partners are doing so on your behalf. We encourage you to learn more about what advertisers can do to stop the spread of spyware.

Sincerely,

(PC Pitstop user)

Priceline

800 Connecticut Avenue

Norwalk, CT 06854

Tel: 1-800-340-0575

Fax: 203-299-8912

Stock Symbol: PCLN

AreaPC

[email protected]

AM Shipping Supplies

[email protected]

Best Ski Value

Administrative Contact:

Short, Cindy (CS2802) [email protected]

Advertisers Workshop

PO BOX 645

LAKE PLACID, NY 12946-0645

US

(518) 523-3359 fax: (518) 523-2577

To find these contacts you can try the following:

-Search WHOIS by domain name

-View the source code for the email forms

-Refer to http://www.planetfeedback.com

:)

Verizon

[email protected]

Time Life

[email protected]

Sylvan Learning Centers

Domain Name: EDUCATE.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:

Altman, Michael (MA5360) [email protected]

Educate Inc.

1001 Fleet Street

Baltimore, MD 21202

US

410-843-8000 fax: 410-843-6145

PC Factory Outlet

[email protected]

PC Factory Outlet is committed to protecting our customer's privacy. We believe in providing an environment for our customers to have a sense of security in dealing with PC Factory Outlet and the PC Factory Outlet Authorized Stores. The information that a customer provides for processing orders, inquiries, and submissions is held in our safe servers in order to maintain and ensure the customer's privacy. More detailed information is listed below. Should you have any issues, concerns, or comments please feel free to let us know. You may contact us at [email protected]

Palm

[email protected]

Our goal is to respect your privacy. To help us improve our privacy policies, please give us your feedback. We welcome your comments and questions - [email protected]

Michelin

Administrative Contact:

Michelin North America, Inc.

Robert Hiebel

null

Greenville, SC 29615

US

Phone: 864-458-5000

Email: [email protected]

Technical Contact:

Net Searchers International Ltd

gTLD Technical

126-128 New Kings Road

London, NA SW64LZ

UK

Phone: 44 0207 565 4090

Fax..: 44 0207 565 4099

Email: [email protected]

Aeroman,

Thanks for the tip on using the whois function. I have all but two of the email addresses now. The list is starting to look very very good! Thanks for all your help. We are really getting there.

Aeroman,

Thanks for the tip on using the whois function. I have all but two of the email addresses now. The list is starting to look very very good! Thanks for all your help. We are really getting there.

No problem :)

What two addresses are you still looking for?

Can I point out a grammatical error?

Forbes has reported that last year, Gator was a $100M company. If your company is not doing business directly with Gator, it is highly likely that one of your online marketing partners are doing so on your behalf. We encourage you to learn more about what advertisers can do to stop the spread of spyware.

Should be changed to is....."one" being [is] not [are].

OK. All the changes should be up by tomorrow morning latest. The only one that I don't have is Radisson.

How many people other than Stinger have sent out a boycott letter to the list? Come on! ASB, let's show our colors.

OK. The entire list should now be complete with email addresses.

Donna, I am not worried about the integrity of the list for a couple of reasons:

1. The list is correct. Since Stinger sent to virtually everyone on the list, I have been dealing with lots of companies, including Coke. The only one in error was the Quotations Page.

2. Our attitude is to work with these companies. We are enlisting them to help us. Stinger's email was a little harsh. I don't actually think that we need to organize a boycott of any of these companies. I think that once they understand the dangers of spyware to the PC World, as well as to their own web sites, they will willfully stop doing business with Gator. We just have to get the ball rolling.

Rob

Archived