Call to Arms!!

chengrob

Guest moncur

So I got a rude email from "Stinger2" saying that my company is on the boycott list because it is "associated with Gator". Apparently it refers to the URL, http://www.quotationspage.com/, that was in an earlier post.

What is this list supposed to be? Companies who have advertised using Gator, or who have run ads for gator's spyware downloads? In either case, it's wrong.

We do not run any gator ads and have never purchased advertising from Gator. (In fact, we don't buy advertising at all.)

PLEASE, if you're going to form a virtual lynch mob, get yourself some accountability: Tell us where the URLs you're posting are coming from. Send an informative message rather than a rude and informationless one. And give your "victims" a chance to respond.

I hate Gator as much as anyone. In the event a Gator ad was running on my site, it would probably be because one of the ad networks snuck it in, and I would want to stop it immediately. I make money from advertising, and Gator's client steals that money by diverting ads, and makes my site look bad. I certainly wouldn't do anything to encourage this.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regards to moncurs post.

I think that we as ASB And Pitstop members should be somewhat nice in the emails we send to these companies. We are representing a large group of people when we write to them.

I really don't want to be put in a category of rude people because some have sent rude letters.

Some of these people may not know that they are associated with Gator, and maybe need the benefit of the doubt. We all know how sneaky Gator can be.

Just my 2 cents on this.

Donna

I agree with Donna :woot:

Perhaps, because most of us have been a victim of Gator at one time or another and readily identified it for the sneaky piece of work it is, we have become somewhat rabid in our pursuit of it. To such an extent, that we see all links to it as bad. :mrsgreen:

Moncur has spent the time and energy to mail us and draw our attention to the fact that some of those we are targeting, do not know - or are unaware that they themselves may have been hijacked by Gator.

Is it worthwhile agreeing on a standard letter of complaint that initially - at least - gives these folks the benefit of the doubt? Perhaps in that way, we will be better able to speak with authority as we are recognised for the sincerity with which we pursue Gator.

:mrgreen:B)

Will no longer use your company,because I have found out that you are associated with Gator(the dirtiest spyware company on the net).Your company has been added to the boycott list at www.pcpitstop.com All companies associated with Gator will be added to the boycott list.

Stinger2

What is so Rude about this? :look:

Is it worthwhile agreeing on a standard letter of complaint

As much as i dislike all forms of spyware i think Admin. must come up with a better solution than having well intentioned Pit members firing off emails to, (innocent?), companies on the boycott list, all it will achieve will be to harm the good name and reputation of PCPitstop.com and the forums.

A lot of hard work and effort has gone into this by Admin and i would hate for it to backfire on us because we have not agreed on how we should first approach a company.

So to finish off, like Mr.B suggested, perhaps Admin can come up with a carefully worded document, which Pit members must use when mailing one of the companies on the list on behalf of PCPitstop.com.

Guest moncur

What is so Rude about this?  

It doesn't contain any specific information that would help me answer your accusation. It left me with nothing but questions:

1. What "company" are you referring to? I'm not a company, just an individual who runs a site. I also run quite a few other sites, so it would have been nice to let me know which site you're talking about.

2. What boycott list? (It took me a while to find this thread, there's no link at www.pcpitstop.com).

3. What does "associated with" mean? Are you accusing me of paying Gator to run ads promoting my site, of running ads for Gator on my site, or something else?

4. What evidence do you have to verify this association?

5. Who are you? Do you speak for PCPitstop.com?

6. Who is Gator, what's wrong with them, and how can I find out more? (I already know the answer to this, but it's something you should probably address in future emails. Many webmasters haven't even heard of Gator.)

7. What could one do to get off the boycott list? What if you've listed us incorrectly?

Without these details the message just seems rude and amateurish, and it serves no purpose. In fact, the language was so generic that I nearly reported it as spam, assuming it was a clever way to promote http://www.pcpitstop.com/.

Stringer it wasn't really rude,,so to speak.

moncur has some good qustions tho,,lets hold off anymore emails untill we can get a better document to send out to those on the list.

I think Rob or dave can put a page together for this that will have all the info anyone might need.

I had thought of saving a screenshot from every gator ad,,but that would be a real pain.

But I may just have to load gator again and do just that. ;) v

I had thought of saving a screenshot from every gator ad,,but that would be a real pain.

But I may just have to load gator again and do just that. ;) v

happy hunting volt,but hope it doesn't have to come to that :mrgreen:

I just clicked on your link Moncur and there's a banner ad at the top for Olay products.

Screenshot:

Posted Image

And I got a pop up for some christian school,didn't get that in the screen shot tho

:angry: And I just had to block a GATOR cookie on my machine :angry:

I make money from advertising, and Gator's client steals that money by diverting ads, and makes my site look bad. I certainly wouldn't do anything to encourage this.

:blink: ????? :blink:

Joe C,

I'm not sure I understand what you're questioning. If it's what he said about Gator, it's a widely known fact that Gator is diverting people's ads, in effect stealing thier advertising revenue. That is why they are getting sued.

But if it's what he said about making money from advertising, what's wrong with that? PC Pitstop does. It's what pays for the website and this forum. I just went to his site, and I do not see anything wrong with what Moncur is doing. I did not get any Gator cookies at all. The only cookies I got were from fastclick, and they are simple tracking cookies used to monitor what ads a visitor has already seen.

PC Pitstop does the same thing, and the advertising agency, Tribal Fusion, Inc., places nearly identical tracking cookies on your computer when you come here, just like fastclick tracking cookies that appeared on my system when I just looked at his site.

All that it is all spelled out in the Privacy Policy, under Cookies. The information is there so that if anyone who comes here can be aware of that, and if that doesn't appeal to them, they can choose not to utilize the services offered here. And if you look, Moncur has a Privacy Policy on his site that says basically the same thing as the one here.

Stinger27,

Simply put, there's a right way and a wrong way to do everything. And writing rude letters is the wrong way to do this. If you want to (or anyone wants to) write to companies about anything to do with spyware, please just ask them if they use it (even if you think you know they do) and if so to please stop. Being rude serves absolutely no purpose, and does not help the cause or the Pit at all. In fact, it makes the Pit look reaaally bad. And please don't make statements that make it sound like you speak for PC Pitstop. Let the owners speak for themselves.

Well, Rob and I didn't quite launch the beta the way we wanted to but it's our fault for the confusion. We didn't expect to have the letter-writing campaign start until we'd opened that part of the site. We also plan to have a sample letter, and once that's available we would strongly recommend that each letter to the advertisers have that as well as your own comments.

Remember, it's perfectly possible that the person you contact has no idea that the company is using Gator, especially if they are in a large organization or are using an ad agency for advertising. If the tone of the letter strikes the right balance, they will forward it on to the appropriate person. If not they may delete it as crank mail. We don't want that to happen!

Also keep in mind that I may have made some goofs along the way.

The gator ad's and top tier sponsored links are normally pretty easy to distinguish from a normal site popup.

That said I'm heading back out on the gator trail for some screenshots of these ad's as some backup on this matter. ;) v

As I just told Rob in an email... These companies are not breaking the law, and that is the real problem here. What we need to do is have a letter writing campaign to get the laws changed. When spyware is illegal, all of these companies will not be able to use it anymore.

I don't know who said it, but this makes perfect sense to me...

"The Pen is mightier than the Sword, and the Keyboard is mightier than the Pen."

Laws? We don't have the money to buy politicians. :mrgreen:

It doesn't need to be illegal for advertisers to use Gator, just undesirable. Yes, I would like to see Gator be clear about what they are doing. I really doubt most people would have the software installed if they knew it was responsible for all those extra ads, especially for something trivial like keeping your clock in sync. But if someone was still willing to run Gator after having the facts put before them, they should be able to do it.

One outcome of this is that we'll raise the value of your privacy, so that when you do knowingly give it away you will get something valuable in return. For example, I give away my buying habits with a grocery shopping card but I get significant discounts (real $$$) for that. What is Gator giving you? They benefit to the tune of over $100 million a year, and all you get is a lousy clock syncer? You can get one of those for free.

What is Gator giving you? They benefit to the tune of over $100 million a year, and all you get is a lousy clock syncer? You can get one of those for free.

Don't know why, but that made me laugh pretty loud!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks

Well excuse me Ax,my intentions were not to make it look like I owned pcpitstop,I thought the culprit here was Gator,there is also a way of disagreeing with someone without finger pointing.I didn't mean to step on anyones toes,volt had allready posted in a volt way and I got the message. :)

Stinger,,my main concern is to make sure we have our act together on how I was served those ad's,,I posted some new info up in site feedback on how some of those ad's may have come to be.

We will get after the gator tho,,no worries on that. :) v

Guest moncur

I just clicked on your link Moncur and there's a banner ad at the top for Olay products.

And I got a pop up for some christian school,didn't get that in the screen shot tho

:angry: And I just had to block a GATOR cookie on my machine :angry:

Yes, the quotations page has advertising. We run banners and pop-unders, using the same agency PC Pitstop uses (Tribal Fusion). Is this an anti-Gator thread or an anti-advertising thread?

If you had to block a Gator cookie, it did NOT come from my site. It probably means you're running their spyware.

We are not going to turn this into an anti advertising vendetta.

This is an attempt at getting some companies to quit using gator,,and thats all it is,,almost all sites depend on ad's to generate some cash flow and stay up and running.

I don't really like tribal fusion either,,but hey the pit has bills to pay,,and it beats the hell out of anything served up by the folks at gator. ;) v

Moncur, my applogies. There's nothing wrong with advertizing. I mistakingly interpeted that you didn't advertize...my bad. Exactly how I got a gator cookie I still don't know, I found it after I was at your site. I'm not inferring that you have anything to do with gator. I use ad aware, spybot and pestpatrol...no gator here.

Moncur,

My apologies. We are working furiously to get our message to be more clear and I think we are close now. Please check out http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck to understand what we are doing, why, etc.

To answer your questions:

1. http://www.quotationspage.com

2. The link above will lead you to all the info

3. We are not accusing you of anything. We are informing you that ads are being delivered for The Quotation Page by GAIN. If you are unaware of this, there are some links that can help you better understand how this can happen.

4. Our methodology was to install GAIN on a computer and one of our users surfed the note and registered all the ads delivered by GAIN.

5. The letter you received was from one of our users at the Pit named Stinger.

6. Of course the question is rhetorical, but please check out our new spyware section and see if it answers all your questions.

7. I do not believe that we have any errors on our list.

Archived