Change Mode

Laptop Says "c" Drive Full

jcritchie

Hello. A man who runs a restaurant where I eat has a laptop up front where he works. He reads the news and other things on the internet on it. He keeps getting a message "C Drive full" on it. He says he deleted the temp files on it but keeps getting this message. His laptop has two drives, 4 GB's each. I can get more information if this isn't enough. If I do need more, let me know and I'll write it down and ask him. Thanks in advance. jcritchie

It very well could be full it would totally depend on how big the partions are and if they are all active

A pit test would be ideal :mrgreen:

If he is running xp he can see what is what

control panel then disk management he can see bout the partions

Edited by The Bear

Hi jcritchie,

Is he online? If so, ask him to run & post a link to a Pit test. Look at the bottom of this page.

If he is not online, you might download & copy to a floppy, a program called BeLarc & install on his computer. It uses IE to show report.

Let us know please.

Hawk :beer:

Hello again. Tonight I plan to go to the same restaurant and tell the manager what you all said. I think he said once that he's not really computer literate. I wonder if he deleted the temp files but didn't delete them from the recycle bin? I'll check on that and if he did, then see what your suggestions do to help the problem. Thanks. jcritchie

An easy way to tell how full his C drive is would be to double click on My Computer, then right-click on Drive C and choose Properties. On the General tab, there should be a pie with free vs. used space. If drive C truly is full, then he'll need to free up at least 50% (preferably more) of that space in order for Windows to run properly. Burn media content to CD, uninstall unused and/or unnecessary applications, but free up that space. -kd5-

If drive C truly is full, then he'll need to free up at least 50% (preferably more) of that space in order for Windows to run properly.

This number seems high to me--I'm just asking because I know if my disk were only 51% full, and my Windows didn't operate properly, I'd be more than #%^*!

I can understand needing some headroom for defragging and such, but the number I've heard bantered around is 20%

Mind you, this is for Win 98, but there own site says the built-in error message is at 2.5%--I can only imagine XP is a bit more.

Other opinions/links? :) Thanks

He has one 8GB hard drive with two 4GB partitions. If this system hasn't been upgraded, I would guess it has around 64MB RAM. Try disabling any non-vital startup programs with msconfig, then page everything to the ram instead of the hard drive. (Don't attempt this if the laptop is running 2000 or XP unless it has at least 128MB RAM.)

Install Windows 3.x :P My system partition uses almost 4 gigs by itself, and that's a slimmed down Windows 2000 install (well, with updates, word, access, excel, and a few other apps). Hard drive space goes fast. If he just reads messages on the internet, then get a literate computer user and give him a minimal install of whatever he uses, then remove all the junk, then lower his IE cache size to something like 5 megs and show him how to run disk cleanup, defrag and all that good stuff.

Yes, Windows needs at least 15% free space in order to defrag and/or run, but with a hard drive 85% filled up, performance is going to be poor. That's why I suggested 50%. 15% free space is NOT good. -kd5-