Change Mode

Walmart Too Powerful?

A landlord can not enter the dwelling unless you are home, and even then he has to have your permission. Reasonable access deos not include unannounced visits, and it never includes entering the dwelling when no one is home.

Many people are not even aware that such laws exist. I highly recommend if you are renting, that you look into your rights.

No one can enter your apartment unless they have your express permission, or in the case of a bonafied emergency.

Been down this raod when I was younger. I pressed charges and the landlord was convicted of breaking and entering, and tresspassing.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not have cable or tele when i was 14. couldnt afford it. I had gas for heat and electricity for the lights and stove. Here is another shocker for ya. @ 14 years of age where i live you can legaly operate mopeds on the street and drive motorvehicles with an adult, unless you get a hardship liscense which allows you to drive to and from school, the store, and to work by yourself, all at the tender age of 14.

actually we were discussing something else about utilities Doc which is what he mentioned in his posts..

and your cell phone seems to work just fine when I call ya doc. You also owned several motorcycles so I would say you have had a way to find a few luxuries.

The reason I had bikes was two fold.

1) I needed cheap transportation (I didn't have a car).

2) I made money while in school by building bikes, repairing bikes, and importing and exporting bikes.

I now have four bikes (I recently sold one), but I also have a pretty decent income now.

I was in fact very often without enough food for years. You can't eat a motorcycle, especially if it is one you are trying to sell. I kept myself fed by turning over bikes and doing repairs.

As far as my cell phone, I have had it a year as I stated, I have no home phone.

I had neither phone (of any kind) nor cable most of my adult life. Really, it's true, I just could not afford it.

If you think a bike is a luxury try having one as your only transportation when it is snowing or their is a tropical storm, I have done both, in different places of course.

Don't be so disbelieving ..TracyLynn ... but I got my first part time job on a farm at 14 after my dad died while I was at school , I had two part time jobs at 16 ... weekends on the farm ,mucking out cow sheds, and 3 evenings a week night shelf stacking at Tesco's (Wallmart equivalents in the UK) ...... School summer holidays I would be ploughing , cutting, acrobatting, and bailing hay ...On more than one farm .....!

I loved it ..... the night shelf stacking I could giva miss , but it was the randiest bunch of mothers I had ever met in my sheltered life up until then ....

But I also know 2 people from my teens who have lived off benefits all their life , with several kids from a number of partners ...all supported by the state , all living in council houses .......... With absolutely no intention of getting a "job" ... one of them is a white van Calais run booze cruiser or occasionally a Belgian fagger, who gets several hundred quid for each trip....cash in hand ...... seems to live a pretty good stress free life .. apart from going though customs ....

For a while I was a teacher in a collage of further education ,in the early 80's in the upper Rhumney valley ( Just post the miners strike ) where we would get compulsory referred ,long term unemployed to us for some form of skill training ,to get them back into "contributing " into society (pay tax) ......

I was just dealing with the 17~18 year olds , but there were several green teachers like me , working with these ( trying to be PC here , but picture enormous rugby shirted, hairy, limited vocabulary, males that use stale beer for de-oderant and have scraped knuckle's from the usual weekend fight ...).....30 year old + nice young chaps ......! If they did not turn up , they would not get their dole money ...( one of Thatchers better idea's )

3rd week in, 2 of the girls broke down into tears in the staff room and refused to take any more classes ..One just walked out of teaching all together ..... (so did I , but not because of that ) heh... sterotype's dont happen without reason .... there are always some people in our little world that don't follow the "plan"... pushing the fringes of legality and taking what they can get to the max ..... If our society allows it .....!

I have to wonder ...!

Well ...For me ...I do have respect for all those who do work in in the Wallmarts and Mc Donald's and such ilk ! , there is dignity in supporting yourself .... !

I have think I have some idea ....'cause I have literally shovelled :censored: for a living ...tonnes of it ..! didnt once enter my head that " I was not worthy " ....

........just life ....... Accumulation of wealth and "status" ....is not always the path for everyone ... Its not wrong or worthy of contempt either ...!

A landlord can not enter the dwelling unless you are home, and even then he has to have your permission. Reasonable access deos not include unannounced visits, and it never includes entering the dwelling when no one is home.

Many people are not even aware that such laws exist. I highly recommend if you are renting, that you look into your rights.

No one can enter your apartment unless they have your express permission, or in the case of a bonafied emergency.

Been down this raod when I was younger. I pressed charges and the landlord was convicted of breaking and entering, and tresspassing.

Actually I have my ARM (accredited real estate manager) and have managed large properties in the past.

The landlord can enter under certain circumstances and this varies by state.

As I said, you would sign a permission to enter form anyway.

In the case of an emergency, they can enter as you said. But please don't assume that the law is the same everywhere.

Some laws regarding such things are really strange. Did you know the landlord can remove your front door if your rent is delinquent in Texas?

Well ...For me ...I do have respect for all those who do work in in the Wallmarts and Mc Donald's and such ilk ! , there is dignity in supporting yourself .... !

I have think I have some idea ....'cause I have literally shovelled :censored: for a living ...tonnes of it ..! didnt once enter my head that " I was not worthy " ....

........just life ....... Accumulation of wealth and "status" ....is not always the path for everyone ... Its not wrong or worthy of contempt either ...!

Tankus... that says it all for me... my whole point is looking down on others who at least attempt to support themselves is not the way to go.

There is honor in working even if it pays minimum wage and people should feel pride in themselves no matter what job they have. The fact is they are working. May not be the standards some are used to but they are somehow surviving and I have all the respect in the world for folks who struggle to make it.

Never sadi the law was the same everywhere. As for Texas well, I guess it saves them the trouble of peeking through the keyholes. :rofl3:

Glad I live where individual rights and privacy are still regarded as a right every citizen should enjoy.

Same here. What does bother me is when they want more and don't do anything about it.

For most it is a choice.

No, it isn't easy. I moved and/or changed jobs 23 times in 20 years, not to mention four institutions of higher learning and four teaching hospitals not included in that number.

If one chooses a path that does not yield what one really wants in life it is really a shame, but it happens a lot.

The funny thing is that the wrong path can be in either direction, there are plenty of successful people who wish they could go back and do something different.

There is honor in working even if it pays minimum wage and people should feel pride in themselves no matter what job they have. The fact is they are working. May not be the standards some are used to but they are somehow surviving and I have all the respect in the world for folks who struggle to make it.

I feel the same, sorry if it did not come off that way.

As i said, it does bother me when somebody in those circumstances complains about it yet wears more expensive shoes than me...if you know what I mean.

Too many try to live beyond their means.

Obviously you did not read the linked references!

NO, Ford was not your average racist.  In addition he was and is notorious for his mal-treatment of his employees.

I suggest again that you read up on it.

Very interesting and revealing response regarding your days in steel.

All racists are the same, they "hate" others that are different then them or that they are ignorant about, the only difference with him is that he had money and power to use to spread his hate. As long as you are trying divert the subject of this thread by pigeon holing Ford as a Nazi, weren't two of our most recent Presidents father and grandfather a Nazi by the same token also?

In regards to his treatment of his employees, if they had only had a union, he wouldn't have gotten away with how he treated his employees would he? Of course human nature has changed so tremendously in the last one hundred years that we should do away with unions so other racists with power and money can do the same thing to other people now. I will look at your links even though they have absolutely nothing to with the topic of this thread, but they probably won't tell me anything I haven't already read. Of course none of this changes the fact that Ford still paid his employees better than the average industry back then with better benefits. But then again thats why you are trying so hard to change the subject.

In reality all it reveals about my days in steel is that even though we were only earning the industry average, the company still sent our jobs overseas rather than deal with people they had to pay a livable wage to and whose rights they had to respect (rights that mainly came about because of unions in the first place). They couldn't treat their employees like Henry did his, so they took their toys and went somewhere they could.

And again, this thread is about Walmart and like corporations not paying their employees a decent wage, why not try to stick to that subject? If you want to talk about Ford, start a new thread (be sure to include Bush in it though).

Edited by Ronbo

Of course none of this changes the fact that Ford still paid his employees better than the average industry back then with better benefits. But then again thats why you are trying so hard to change the subject.

No, he didn't. Only the ones that fir specific criteria and/ or got reprogrammed. You still haven't read it I see.

You brought it up, not me. You tried to use it to support your argument, I said it didn't you and asked for links, now you still haven't read them and accuse me of changing the subject.

You ASKED me for the links on a topic YOU brought up.

Edited by Chopdoc

A landlord can not enter the dwelling unless you are home

false, a landlord can enter your home without you being there if you are given reasonable notification and reason. I know this to be fact because it was in my lease last year and I questioned them on it and they even gave me the last court case on the matter.

Doc, you have been trying to change the subject from Walmarts treatment of its employees since your first post in this thread.

There would have been no "reprogramming," no "specific criteria" if they had had a union. I never asked for links, I don't know where that came from. I never said Ford was a saint, I know about these practices, I find his treatment of his employees reprehensible at best, but he still had the best industrial wages of his day which is all I ever said in any of my posts.

You brought Nazism and racism into this into this thread in an effort to change the subject from what this post is about.

false, a landlord can enter your home without you being there if you are given reasonable notification and reason. I know this to be fact because it was in my lease last year and I questioned them on it and they even gave me the last court case on the matter.

Very true, it can often depend on the exact terms of the lease.

Last week I was notified that they needed to come in due to a leak. They ended up replacing my toilet. A few days later I found a slip on my door that they had been back to fix the leaking supply line. I did not know it was leaking and they gave no notice. It was a courtesy that they notified me in the first instance, they had the right to enter.

My lease allows for yearly inspections and spells out the specifics about the ability of the landlord or representatives entering.

I told my landlord two things:

1) My apartment is covered by two network cameras that are always on.

2) There are many firearms in my apartment. They are almost all locked up but a couple are kept out and loaded.

Doc, you have been trying to change the subject from Walmarts treatment of its employees since your first post in this thread.

There would have been no "reprogramming," no "specific criteria" if they had had a union. I never asked for links, I don't know where that came from. I never said Ford was a saint,  I know about these practices, I find his treatment of his employees reprehensible at best, but he still had the best industrial wages of his day which is all I ever said in any of my posts.

You brought Nazism and racism into this into this thread in an effort to change the subject from what this post is about.

Nope, I would prefer to discuss the original topic. That I made any effort to change the subject is an incorrect assumtion.

Maybe it was not you who asked for links, but if not somebody did or I would not have done it as it was to satisfy a specific request. I have no desire at this point to go back and see who it was.

My stance on Walmart is simply that I will no longer shop there and have not for some time. For those "stuck" in a job there, they should make an effort to get better treatment or get out. But I don't happen to think that a union is the answer for that, nor are the methods of Ford.

I dislike Walmart but not because they are large and not because the owners are wealthy. I dislike them because their employment practices are terrible, they support sweat shops, and they refuse to carry certain merchandise based on their "moral" standards.

In addition, they kept pictures of my ex-girlfriend. THAT is unacceptable. I am certain they adorn the wall of some perverted Walmart employee. As a result I will never again own a film camera nor have prints done.

Edited by Chopdoc

Chopdoc Posted on October 4th, 2004, 10:34 PM

In addition, they kept pictures of my ex-girlfriend. THAT is unacceptable. I am certain they adorn the wall of some perverted Walmart employee. As a result I will never again own a film camera nor have prints done.

Shouldn't take your gynaecological practise photos to your local 1 hour photo shop then ...should you ....?

I moved and/or changed jobs 23 times in 20 years

moved ..or sacked ..... arf ..? never meet a medical hobo before ....

Edited by Tankus

I'm amazed no one has beat the absolute :censored: out of you. I hope for your sake you only run your mouth off online because you say that to a person that is not 1000 miles away and they will leave you for dead. Let me guess, your probably a :censored: CEO or something eh?

I would rather see people working at McDonalds or BK instead of sitting on their :filtered: collecting welfare. These people are the real heart and soul of a country!!

There aint nobody that big, anywhere on the planet. No im not a CEO but would love to be one. I voice my opinion when im in a converstaion, and would prefer to say something to someones face as to type it, its easier to convey what i mean verbally as to typing. (plus i sometimes spell like a :censored:, never been good at spelling)The people that have no alternative but to take minimum wages were not who i was refering to. If there are no jobs available then atleast they are working. The job still isnt supposed to support a family. The people i am refering to are the people especially in my area. They smoke weed all day, have half a dozen kids, there are jobs out the wazoo here but they refuse to do actual work, and cant keep a "real job" mess up your order and complain that they are making 5.25/hour. Those are the people who [insert swear word here] the most and loudest. I have no sympathy for them.

Now that we got that all straightened out.............. :blink:

The people i am refering to are the people especially in my area. They smoke weed all day, have half a dozen kids, there are jobs out the wazoo here but they refuse to do actual work, and cant keep a "real job" mess up your order and complain that they are making 5.25/hour. Those are the people who [insert swear word here] the most and loudest. I have no sympathy for them. 

Now that we got that all straightened out.............. :blink:

yep they suck Edited by one2gamble